Skip to main content

CBB UK 2018 - Discussion

Year of the Woman = First 3 evictees: Female

And yes, C5 have undone all the goodwill from the first couple of weeks by having another hated "backdoor" eviction - pre-recorded with no viewer input.

Maybe I'm nit-picky but I think Marcus making comments like "Rachel is annoyed that a 70 year old pensioner isn't working hard enough" is completely inappropriate...
Absolutely. My hatred for Marcus's voiceover is well documented (he'd have been first on my axe list in the move to C5!) and one thing I've especially hated in the C5 era how basic narration changed from "X and Y are in the Kitchen" to "X and Y are bitching in the kitchen".

Also not only is that comment leading viewers, it's incredibly disrespectful to Ann as well who I doubt would ever describe herself in such a manner.

Year of the Woman = First 3 evictees: Female

And yes, C5 have undone all the goodwill from the first couple of weeks by having another hated "backdoor" eviction - pre-recorded with no viewer input.

The viewers are naive if they honestly expected this series to be drastically different... As I said before this was still very much a Channel 5 series despite a few refreshing changes... At this point there really isn't much in terms of good faith that they can wipe away... To really have good faith with this audience it's going to take years of continuous improvements...

Great idea giving the HM's another topics game to play but it was a complete disaster giving it to them after they've been drinking or after the eviction... Why couldn't this be a day time or after dinner activity?

From the outset I felt the "Year of the Woman" theme was a tacky grab to ride the coattails of the current zeitgeist originating from the Weinstein scandal. Trying to eke out ratings from institutional misogyny and violence towards women...The Year of the Woman...how ironic. But beyond this, it's been a really depressing insight into how misogyny is so insidious and far-reaching it's almost invisible and commonplace. I can see India, unfortunately, might well have been nominated and evicted on her own merits and not necessarily for transphobic reasons. It seems she's still early in her journey and probably still needs time to psychologically adjust. I actually think it was irresponsible to put her in the house.

The second eviction was a different matter altogether. The fact that the deeply misogynistic Ann Widdecombe saved a man who made a career from sexism, sexual assault and violence towards women , sacrificing someone who has been a courageous advocate and protector of young women, is so completely appalling and enraging. But for the public to agree and vote Maggie out is just completely depressing. And Rachel too, a strong, opinionated, professional woman, ousted in favour of much less worthy opponents - and I mean that in terms of entertainment value and what they contributed, not just their worthiness as human beings. As much as I loath Ann as a human being, it should have been Andrew and John.

And now we have the men nominating Ann (understandable to an extent) and Amanda (why?) because why not? May as well get rid of the final two mature women in the house who aren't bringing the eye candy. Ugh.

From the outset I felt the "Year of the Woman" theme was a tacky grab to ride the coattails of the current zeitgeist originating from the Weinstein scandal. Trying to eke out ratings from institutional misogyny and violence towards women...The Year of the Woman...how ironic. But beyond this, it's been a really depressing insight into how misogyny is so insidious and far-reaching it's almost invisible and commonplace. I can see India, unfortunately, might well have been nominated and evicted on her own merits and not necessarily for transphobic reasons. It seems she's still early in her journey and probably still needs time to psychologically adjust. I actually think it was irresponsible to put her in the house.

The second eviction was a different matter altogether. The fact that the deeply misogynistic Ann Widdecombe saved a man who made a career from sexism, sexual assault and violence towards women , sacrificing someone who has been a courageous advocate and protector of young women, is so completely appalling and enraging. But for the public to agree and vote Maggie out is just completely depressing. And Rachel too, a strong, opinionated, professional woman, ousted in favour of much less worthy opponents - and I mean that in terms of entertainment value and what they contributed, not just their worthiness as human beings. As much as I loath Ann as a human being, it should have been Andrew and John.

And now we have the men nominating Ann (understandable to an extent) and Amanda (why?) because why not? May as well get rid of the final two mature women in the house who aren't bringing the eye candy. Ugh.

Maggie left as a result of the vote to save... She had very little screen time in the house and gave no one a reason to want to save her... Ann is a polarizing character... I've found myself flipping between liking her and not... Rachel had been getting the nasty edit since the power shifted to the men... Andrew has dominated the story-line and is still quiet popular due to his association with Shane/Courtney... John really hasn't done anything and likely should have also fell to the bottom of the pile but is likely riding some of his previous popularity...

As for "year of the woman" I think despite the fact that three woman have left so far it has still been a great series for woman on BB... When all is said and done we will remember the woman in this series more than we'll remember the majority of the men...

I reckon Andrew is no good.

Not a celebrity but desperate to catapulte himself into some fame by winning BB. I'm always suspicious of those who seem overly eager to point who they think are playing the game or in it to win it. I think Andrew is, as well as being full of himself is full of shit.

I think poor Shane/Courtney is going to get hurt by this guy. I think Andrew is all a calculated act. I feel bad bad shane / couttney if thats the case but there is something very off about Andrew.

Shame for Maggie, she seemed super nice, not sure she added much to the show entertainment wise but yeah she got done in by the stupid vote to save. Although maybe she deserved to go just for the shocking application of lipstick on eviction night.:)

Shane/ Courtney to win.

I reckon Andrew is no good.

Not a celebrity but desperate to catapulte himself into some fame by winning BB. I'm always suspicious of those who seem overly eager to point who they think are playing the game or in it to win it. I think Andrew is, as well as being full of himself is full of shit.

I think poor Shane/Courtney is going to get hurt by this guy. I think Andrew is all a calculated act. I feel bad bad shane / couttney if thats the case but there is something very off about Andrew.

Shame for Maggie, she seemed super nice, not sure she added much to the show entertainment wise but yeah she got done in by the stupid vote to save. Although maybe she deserved to go just for the shocking application of lipstick on eviction night.:)

Shane/ Courtney to win.

I think 90% of the flirting was for the camera but I do think there is a certain amount of genuine friendship between Andrew and Shane/Courtney... He's playing the game for sure but I don't always think that it is the makings of a horrible person... That said even if the entire relationship was for the camera I think Shane/Courtney is a smart enough person not to "get hurt"... I'm certain Shane is aware that things inside the house are very different than the real world...

On an end note Maggie licking her lips during her interview really bothered me... I mean who does that? I was sad to see Maggie go but I saw it coming the minute she was nominated... She also wasn't a "celebrity" going in to the house and really was at a loss compared to the others as she didn't go in with an established fan base... However the show will move on without a loss really...

Shane said something earlier in the season that makes me think he's quite secure within himself in regards to unrequited love.

They're cute. Anyone who knows me knows that I have a huge problem with relationships being sexualised automatically. You can love opposite sex or same sex and it doesn't necessarily come down to the deed. Some people just click. Soul mates aren't always lovers.

I was sooooo not expecting tonight to be an eviction... I think instead of last nights backdoor eviction it should have been another double eviction tonight...

Best part of tonight's episode... Courtney reading Andrew's game-playing... Might even be the series highlight for me...

A full 30 minute behind the scenes special was shown last night based on the production of that nights episode - so what happened the day before.

A full 30 minute behind the scenes special was shown last night based on the production of that nights episode - so what happened the day before.

The special was a HUGE disappointment... It really didn't give much in terms of insight and was essentially just lip-service and a rehash of stuff we already knew...

Hmmm... Triple eviction with only 4 people nominated... That's not a predictable outcome at all is it?

Won't spoil the predictable outcome of the triple eviction but for the second time in a week the house has been broken in to during the eviction by intruders - the same guys as last week and this time they managed to get into the garden and seen by the house, and time it right to appear during the "live" eviction announcement.

If Ann Widdecombe wins, I'm leaving earth, There's no hope for humanity.

I can't stand her but sadly from the looks of things I wouldn't be surprised if she won the series... After the fall out of the last few days I'm doubtful Shane/Courtney can recover... He's the only other person I could see having a shot at the title...

Back