Skip to main content

Big Brother to air on Seven in 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure about this survivor twist. Is it going to be like US big brother? Or something slightly different?

I hope they do have live feeds otherwise we're just going to get episode after episode of game play and less knowing the people on the show.
Look, I don't hate the idea of eviction results being self-contained to within the house, so long as the show itself is produced well and production is top notch I'm interested in something different.

In saying this, I find it difficult to think of many reality shows in Australia nowadays where the winner is entirely chosen by the public anymore. I don't think there's many, if any at all?

I think the advantage of BB also stripping the public vote and HM's being able to eliminate contestants is it almost completely rids the opportunity for producers to have any influence over who leaves (and ultimately wins). This manipulation was something that became very evident in the later seasons, but also in almost every other reality TV show where judges (aka, producers) have an influence over eliminations. Of-course they'll still edit HM's how they like, but by the HM's having control of evictions within the boundaries of the house, ala Survivor, it's at least likely that some reality to the natural gameplay will be maintained.

I find it odd that they're using a lot of photos of Gretel in the news articles about the return. I don't think I've seen any Sonia at all.
The sheer popularity of the show when it was on TEN back in the day means that Gretel has more public recognition to the series than Sonia ever will (thankfully). Also the swirling rumours that she might come back are probably fueling it too.

Personally, I think there is a strong chance she'll be back. After all, during the interview with Kyle and Jackie O she said (though not the exact wording) she said something along the lines of she'll take any job if it pays enough because then she can use that money to fund the things she does that she is truly passionate about (and is one of the reasons she did The Masked Singer). Also, that interview was the first time I can recall she has publicly commented on the show and referred to it by name since her statement just before launch in 2012. Since then she's dodged questions or turned the question about the show into something else with her answer. Also note she completely avoided Jackie O's direct question - "would you return to the show?".

I'm not sure about this survivor twist. Is it going to be like US big brother? Or something slightly different?
Either it's just someone making up stuff because everyone is listening to everything that is being said (including pondscum Ben from 2012) or they'll do something like they did in 2008 where the public nominates, housemates evict. They wouldn't be stupid enough to say no thanks to the money they would get out of it.

The sheer popularity of the show when it was on TEN back in the day means that Gretel has more public recognition to the series than Sonia ever will (thankfully). Also the swirling rumours that she might come back are probably fueling it too.

Personally, I think there is a strong chance she'll be back. After all, during the interview with Kyle and Jackie O she said (though not the exact wording) she said something along the lines of she'll take any job if it pays enough because then she can use that money to fund the things she does that she is truly passionate about (and is one of the reasons she did The Masked Singer). Also, that interview was the first time I can recall she has publicly commented on the show and referred to it by name since her statement just before launch in 2012. Since then she's dodged questions or turned the question about the show into something else with her answer. Also note she completely avoided Jackie O's direct question - "would you return to the show?".

Either it's just someone making up stuff because everyone is listening to everything that is being said (including pondscum Ben from 2012) or they'll do something like they did in 2008 where the public nominates, housemates evict. They wouldn't be stupid enough to say no thanks to the money they would get out of it.
I've got a feeling she'll be back, it would be awesome if she returned. I did notice she completely avoided that direct question. Yes, a lot of bs is going to circulate about what's in store for the new series, with very little being factual. But that's we all thrive on 😁

I think the advantage of BB also stripping the public vote and HM's being able to eliminate contestants is it almost completely rids the opportunity for producers to have any influence over who leaves (and ultimately wins).

If anything it gives them better opportunity to influence because public votes have to legally be tallied. Producers can (and do) still manipulate power, information, etc.

If anything it gives them better opportunity to influence because public votes have to legally be tallied. Producers can (and do) still manipulate power, information, etc.
Yeah, I can understand that. I think what I mean though is the decision and individual votes aren’t made directly by producers, so despite how the show gets edited they can’t exactly make a HM vote a certain way. The producers can always influence what the viewers see but arguably I’m not so sure they have as much power when it comes to the HM’s locked in a house.

Think BBUS...

I am fine with US style evictions, as long as they keep / amp up the character exposition. This is where BBUK always shined - they utilised the diary room to the max. AU has always been pretty poor at that, often choosing instead to shoehorn romances into the rewards room or fake conflicts between housemates. Towards the end there was almost no footage from the diary room at all.

IMO the survivor style format sucks. If it doesn’t take over the social experiment concept then I guess I can live with it. I would hate for it to only have 3-4 episodes a week like the US does and to focus each episode on a game element.

Big Brother USA is better overall in my opinion. Annoying housemates like Priya would not have made it so far and Katie would have had a good chance of going far. And Lisa too!!

Last edited:
Semi related news: Mass layoffs at Channel 7, including their entire publicity team in Melbourne.

I say this would mean the Big Brother house will probably most likely be set in Sydney.

And if the rumours of Gretel coming back to hosting are true. She lives in NSW right? I say they would try to make it as convenient as possible to get her to come back. She won’t have to fly in, fly out like it was at dreamworld.

I finally got around to listening Benjamin's interview with Hit and I'm quite impressed with how he articulated his points.

"We want to hear what Australian people have to say about relationships - and that includes sex, politics and the things going over the heads of younger people. I think you're really missing out if you're cartooning real people and just having them on between 7:30pm and 8:30pm specifically for families. [...] They're getting real people that they want to be relatable, then altering them to not be relatable."

Dead on. It's a sentiment that Gretel also echoed in her chat with Kyle and Jackie-O, and I think if this next series can somehow (hopefully!) stray from the likes of the typical contestants we see on RTV nowadays - and execute it properly - then it's already a step in the right direction imo.

It's also about finding that balance. Nine's 2013 season had one of the best BB casts we'd had in a long time - the downfall though was that we literally saw nothing of them or the conversations they were having.

Seven has denied reports this week "confirming" it will bring Big Brother back in 2020, with a network source claiming negotiations over the reality show are ongoing and involve multiple broadcasters.

Production company Endemol Shine Australia similarly refused to confirm the reports, with a well-placed source dismissing them as "media hype".

more: https://www.smh.com.au/culture/tv-a...it-just-might-make-sense-20191004-p52xqx.html

I go with my earlier theory that Seven has put a definite bid in but Nine still hasn't passed on their option yet.

Big Brother USA is better overall in my opinion. Annoying housemates like Priya would not have made it so far and Katie would have had a good chance of going far. And Lisa too!!
Hey hey hey!

Ease up on the Prisus hate!

😂😂😂

Personally I’m not a fan of the BB US. It feels very scripted in my opinion. I find the celebrity version easier to watch. My fav is AUS, but my second is the UK

Look, I don't hate the idea of eviction results being self-contained to within the house, so long as the show itself is produced well and production is top notch I'm interested in something different.

In saying this, I find it difficult to think of many reality shows in Australia nowadays where the winner is entirely chosen by the public anymore. I don't think there's many, if any at all?

I think the advantage of BB also stripping the public vote and HM's being able to eliminate contestants is it almost completely rids the opportunity for producers to have any influence over who leaves (and ultimately wins). This manipulation was something that became very evident in the later seasons, but also in almost every other reality TV show where judges (aka, producers) have an influence over eliminations. Of-course they'll still edit HM's how they like, but by the HM's having control of evictions within the boundaries of the house, ala Survivor, it's at least likely that some reality to the natural gameplay will be maintained.

here cos i saw the word stripping in the wall of text. Carry on

Would be a good way to get people to actually use 10 all access, (if 10 was actually getting it)
I would have to disagree, paywalling online content in your "first" season is a recipe for disaster, a live stream through YouTube is a much more viable option because it encourages enrichment via a platform people know works in addition to monetisation (cough cough channel 7 take advantage of how YouTube has gone corporate wank) and iirc the channel 10 days of live streaming on the website were plagued with problems that never seemed to get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back