Skip to main content

Big Brother Cancelled... Again

Last year's strategy talk and head of house was a complete fizzer. It either doesn't fit into Australian residents' psyche or production didn't prepare or display it well enough (or both).

You mean the head of house that the public voted for?

Last year's strategy talk and head of house was a complete fizzer. It either doesn't fit into Australian residents' psyche or production didn't prepare or display it well enough (or both).

That's where I feel iffy about the U.S. Version. I like the U.S. Format but I don't know how I would go with hearing housemate talk tactics rather the simply interacting

Glad you agree... Including a BB style public vote would make the rest of the format little more than a gimmick rather than a complete overhaul of the format... The strategic ways in which the public vote is incorporated in this format is actually more engaging... The public essentially becomes the final HM and are actively involved in playing "the game" from week to week... Right now as it stands BB is basically just a spectators sport...
Or you know... you could keep the show how it is here and leave it how it is over there?

That's so not true... BB is still a thriving concept in some parts of the civilized world... It's just the people producing the show are producing a show for themselves and not a show for the audience they want to attract... FB, Twitter, YouTube, or Netflix aren't killing the show... In fact with technology as integrated in our every day lives the way that it is a show like BB should be thriving... The technology that made this show great has never been better but those in charge have limited its potential... The fact that there has been so much wasted potential over the years has left a bad taste in the mouths of viewers... That is why the show continues to fail...

So true. BB thrives in the US, UK and Canada because they let BB be BB. I'm in the US and have watched all 4 country's versions, but BB AU is rather ridiculous. BB US is the most ruthless, but BB AU is like the kindergarten version. When things begin to happen naturally, there's a twist that stops it. TBH, I just started watching after the reboot, but they (BB and the Australian public) messed it up. Maybe it's just the AU spirit that keeps everything nice, but it became so boring. The moment there's conflict, the public eviscerates you and get these annoying intruders.

In all honesty I do enjoy the USA format. But I'd choose the BBAU format. I'd rather watch a normal social experiment with housemates being evicted by the public. I love the suspense when the host says its time to go...! It's a phrase always used in my family when people leave because we just love big brother. I do like the U.S. Format but it feels like too much gameplay and strategy. I'm up for it but I fear I may not enjoy it.

So true. BB thrives in the US, UK and Canada because they let BB be BB.

The UK one is totally different to the other two, and I'd hardly say it's thriving either.

The US style one has been changing and incorporating the public vote into their shows.

But I think if the US style one is used it needs more than 3 highlights a week. As it is now you have two audiences for that show, those who get spoilers off the feed and those who have to wait days for the result of competitions on the HLs. But even the live feed viewers aren't shown the competitions most of the time they just get hearsay of the results. Competitions are better live, which is what the Austalian one used to do.

Although the US style one is about strategy they only seem to cast at most half the cast with any real strategy, most of them have none. And the main strategy is often sucking up to the HoH and 'doing what the house wants', it's hardly Survivor.

Or you know... you could keep the show how it is here and leave it how it is over there?

It's a perfectly viable format and I can't see why it can't be given a chance... BBAU has been dying a slow and painful death for at least a decade... It's quite obvious that just a simple mention of the show leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths... If there is a way to "save" the show it is to completely revamp and retool the format... And moving forward the best way to do that is to adapt the US format... BBUS is undoubtably the most popular and most successful formats in the franchise...

That said I think you're right... They COULD just keep the status quo and continue beating a dead horse... I'm sure the ratings will be through the roof...

It's a perfectly viable format and I can't see why it can't be given a chance... BBAU has been dying a slow and painful death for at least a decade... It's quite obvious that just a simple mention of the show leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths... If there is a way to "save" the show it is to completely revamp and retool the format... And moving forward the best way to do that is to adapt the US format... BBUS is undoubtably the most popular and most successful formats in the franchise...

That said I think you're right... They COULD just keep the status quo and continue beating a dead horse... I'm sure the ratings will be through the roof...

Yeah but they don't have to use the BBUS format, there's other ways... just not channel 9's ways haha

The best part about the US bb is watching the just evicted house guest realise that they have just been backstabbed by what they thought was their alliance.

I actually think an Australian adaptation of the US-format could be a winner. There's a pretty strong following of Survivor in Australia, and I think if the producers piggy-backed that they could reel in the fans of strategy.

I won't discount @Zcsund1234's argument about public influence, though - Australian viewers like to have a say and it does provide revenue. But as @Kingston said - there are ways of implementing that which don't completely destroy the format.

I'd just hope they look at what worked and what didn't; so we don't get shit like America's Player / Team America. Maybe something where the public vote to put someone up after the HoH is determined, but before the HoH decides on the nominees. That third nominee can be saved / save themselves using the PoV (so they don't get screwed); and the public have the chance to eliminate someone they're not a fan of.

The best part about the US bb is watching the just evicted house guest realise that they have just been backstabbed by what they thought was their alliance.

It's no Survivor though, most of the time when Julie Chen says she will 'give the news to the house' all the HGs already know who is going. And the unecessary pleas they do before the eviction often tell the viewer who is going as well. The US format isn't perfect, it could do with quite a bit of tweaking.

You also have to consider how they'll cast it.

If they target the show at a young G or PG audience, and decide to cast 'nice' Australians, you're NOT going to get the scheming, argumentative types that seem to work on shows like Survivor.

Given how Nine handled BBAU and TheBlock, which are largely targeted at young teens, they only want what can be described as "low level" drama.

Before whoever takes it up decides what format to take, they're going to have to decide the target demographic, because if they want a no-holes-barred drama-fest format it's going to look pretty lame if HMs kiss and hug and make-up at the first sign of heated arguments.

What I really want to see is dramas like BBAU has had in the past where it really changes the dynamic not only of the two directly involved but the whole house as people take sides or ignore the divide.

Having said that, a divide that separates the HMs into two groups doesn't make for good TV, unless you can force cooperation in some other way where stakes are high.

In fairness to production, this is where you really can't know what will happen once you put your chosen cast into the house. There has to be a balance between 'outright psycho' and 'forgiving fence-sitter'.

Anyhow, this is probably tl;dr stuff.

Yeah but they don't have to use the BBUS format, there's other ways... just not channel 9's ways haha

Really? You honestly believe that people are going to buy back in after all the crap that's been flung at them over the years? It's a lost cause my friend...

You also have to consider how they'll cast it.

If they target the show at a young G or PG audience, and decide to cast 'nice' Australians, you're NOT going to get the scheming, argumentative types that seem to work on shows like Survivor.

Given how Nine handled BBAU and TheBlock, which are largely targeted at young teens, they only want what can be described as "low level" drama.

Before whoever takes it up decides what format to take, they're going to have to decide the target demographic, because if they want a no-holes-barred drama-fest format it's going to look pretty lame if HMs kiss and hug and make-up at the first sign of heated arguments.

What I really want to see is dramas like BBAU has had in the past where it really changes the dynamic not only of the two directly involved but the whole house as people take sides or ignore the divide.

Having said that, a divide that separates the HMs into two groups doesn't make for good TV, unless you can force cooperation in some other way where stakes are high.

In fairness to production, this is where you really can't know what will happen once you put your chosen cast into the house. There has to be a balance between 'outright psycho' and 'forgiving fence-sitter'.

Anyhow, this is probably tl;dr stuff.

To be fair the casting during the Channel 9 era was never it's downfall...

I actually think an Australian adaptation of the US-format could be a winner. There's a pretty strong following of Survivor in Australia, and I think if the producers piggy-backed that they could reel in the fans of strategy.

I won't discount @Zcsund1234's argument about public influence, though - Australian viewers like to have a say and it does provide revenue. But as @Kingston said - there are ways of implementing that which don't completely destroy the format.

I'd just hope they look at what worked and what didn't; so we don't get shit like America's Player / Team America. Maybe something where the public vote to put someone up after the HoH is determined, but before the HoH decides on the nominees. That third nominee can be saved / save themselves using the PoV (so they don't get screwed); and the public have the chance to eliminate someone they're not a fan of.

I'm kind of shocked... Didn't we have a convo a few months ago where you said you hated Survivor? And that BBUS was nothing more than Survivor in a house?

It's no Survivor though, most of the time when Julie Chen says she will 'give the news to the house' all the HGs already know who is going. And the unecessary pleas they do before the eviction often tell the viewer who is going as well. The US format isn't perfect, it could do with quite a bit of tweaking.

Part of that has to do with the way things are scheduled vs when they air on TV... I mean all the competions, nominations, and the veto ceremony are completed by Monday... By the time all of that is over the house has made it's decision...

That said if the show was stripped across 5 or 6 days things would happen a lot closer to when they actually air... There is a lot more time for things to change and for the house to keep playing... And if the public were acting as the PoV it's harder for the house to decide on a final target until after the vote...

I'm kind of shocked... Didn't we have a convo a few months ago where you said you hated Survivor? And that BBUS was nothing more than Survivor in a house?

Nope. I'm probably one of the biggest Survivor fans on this board. It's kind of sad how many hours I've poured into watching and re-watching seasons upon seasons.

I can't recall if I called BBUS "Survivor-in-a-house" on here; but I know I have said that offline before because it's an easy way of describing it to Australians who have never seen the show; given both shows have a heavy emphasis on strategy and alliances. OFC it's a massive generalisation because there are many different nuances and BBUS is arguably a more psychologically demanding game; but I don't mean it as "nothing more than Survivor in a house".

Okay now I'm pretty much convinced Ten will not but back big brother next year. With I'm a celeb, Masterchef and the great Australian spelling bee coming back the only hope it has is if biggest loser fails. There's a little glimmer of hope that they do but nope I'm convinced big brother won't be back until at least 2017. And which ever channel buys it idk. I'm 100% confused.

Back