Skip to main content

Big Brother Canada: Season 3 Discussion [Spoilers]

Big Brother Canada reminding me why I love this format so much and delivering one of my favourite moments in BB bistory in the latest episode - with zero producer manipulation. The impact all the greater too as it was as much a surprise to the viewer (of the broadcast show at least) as it was to the girls.

It was very simply a case of the girls not checking who was in the room before they started talking, and it set up the episode and potentially the season perfectly.

CBPCaInUsAA_vsz.jpg:large

Plus they've got a friggin nominations machine! That's worth the admission alone!

I did like that machine!

This is my first BBCAN. I tried to watch BBUS years ago but I just didn't like it very much. I'm mostly enjoying BBCAN, which is nice. Although I really don't like the way North American reality TV people speak/behave. And I just wish there were more episodes or something, but I guess it's less about getting to know people and more about gameplay.

I think I'll stick with it, despite my little issues. It's still quite fun. I like the house, and I enjoyed the simplistic nature of the twists.

BB Canada doesn't give us much to moan about but they hit us with a triple whammy last night. Really annoying they cut away from the house before the evictee actually left, then the interview (which would have been far more interesting than last week) was non-existent. Finally they reveal the feeds will be down all weekend due to:
An Instant Eviction. For the uninitiated this is where the HoH immediately nominates two people and then the HGs vote, with no Veto. It's a twist Canada introduced in the first season and have used each season since, each time filming them soon after the "live" eviction show and then blocking the live feeds until it's broadcast a few days later. It's super annoying because it could easily be done live on the main eviction show itself - they do double evictions (which includes a Veto comp) live so no reason at all they couldn't do them in the main show, avoiding having to block the feed.

It's as if the live feed producers want the Easter weekend off! Indeed I'm pretty sure this twist fell on the Easter weekend last year too (and checking the year before too!)

Last edited:
It's as if the live feed producers want the Easter weekend off! Indeed I'm pretty sure this twist fell on the Easter weekend last year too (and checking the year before too!)

Actually LOL they probably did to save production/staffing costs as they would have to pay them double time over the holidays.

And the live interview is done on the Sideshow which airs on Slice, the channel which carried the full show last year on Thursdays at 10PM. Hey its on in 45 minutes here.

BB Canada doesn't give us much to moan about but they hit us with a triple whammy last night. Really annoying they cut away from the house before the evictee actually left, then the interview (which would have been far more interesting than last week) was non-existent. Finally they reveal the feeds will be down all weekend due to:
An Instant Eviction. For the uninitiated this is where the HoH immediately nominates two people and then the HGs vote, with no Veto. It's a twist Canada introduced in the first season and have used each season since, each time filming them soon after the "live" eviction show and then blocking the live feeds until it's broadcast a few days later. It's super annoying because it could easily be done live on the main eviction show itself - they do double evictions (which includes a Veto comp) live so no reason at all they couldn't do them in the main show, avoiding having to block the feed.

That sounds really confusing. So does that mean there's two evictions next week?

Yes, one will air on Sunday (but took place on Thursday) and one on Wednesday a snormal.

Here is what happened in the final few minutes of the feeds yesterday before they got cut off.

Yes, one will air on Sunday (but took place on Thursday) and one on Wednesday a snormal.

Here is what happened in the final few minutes of the feeds yesterday before they got cut off.

That's pretty annoying tbh. The one thing I'm not enjoying about the show is the lack of and spreading out of content. I would love it if there was one more daily show, on the Friday or something, especially since the eviction show is so tightly packed. I am just sort of viewing it as a "typical reality show" though and not Big Brother, so it's not cutting as deep.

Yes, the scheduling is off and sadly the show has to be scheduled to suit the network rather than the show due to Global simulcasting several US shows. It could definately carry an extra show though and easily achieved by splitting the Veto over two episodes.

That's pretty annoying tbh. The one thing I'm not enjoying about the show is the lack of and spreading out of content. I would love it if there was one more daily show, on the Friday or something, especially since the eviction show is so tightly packed. I am just sort of viewing it as a "typical reality show" though and not Big Brother, so it's not cutting as deep.

I sued to feel the same way until I started watching the live feed... The 3 episode a week schedule works for your average viewer... Those looking for more content and more of the bigger picture watch the live feed... Long time fans of the American format will tell you that the live feeds are the "reality show" behind the "reality show" and this is part of the reason that feeds have survived for as long as they have...

What BB could do a better job of is closing the gap between what happens in the house and when it actually airs...

I sued to feel the same way until I started watching the live feed... The 3 episode a week schedule works for your average viewer... Those looking for more content and more of the bigger picture watch the live feed... Long time fans of the American format will tell you that the live feeds are the "reality show" behind the "reality show" and this is part of the reason that feeds have survived for as long as they have...

What BB could do a better job of is closing the gap between what happens in the house and when it actually airs...

Hm. That's pretty interesting, actually. I like the idea of the feeds being a reality show behind the reality show. I just wish I had the time to watch the feeds. Maybe I'll have a look if/when I get a chance.

I definitely do feel the gap needs to be closed though, but that's just me being used to the Australian/UK format.

Trouble is whenever I get chance to watch the feeds they seem to black them out. This is why it always annoys me when they do it over the Easter weekend when myself and I'm sure many others have the time to spend too much time watching the feeds.

It's strange that the producers would talk up the importance of the live feeds and then cut them off for four days. There's a bit of a disconnect there, really.

They should realise by now that viewers knowing the outcome makes no difference at all to viewing figures. Live feeders knowing the evictee on Thursday wouldn't stop them watching it all unfold on Sunday, and anyway within minutes of the feeds returning on Sunday we'll know the new HoH, nominees, Veto winner and outcome and probably who the house intends to evicts anyway.

What will be crucial is whether Kevin knows it's an Instant Eviction when he nominates. He's still very much in the middle of the house so I do think his safest bet would be to nominate one girl and one boy. I'd say Naeha and Godfrey would be his ideal nominees - that should secure his position with the guys as they want Naeha out but Godfrey is on the outskirts of the male alliance and seen as a threat, so I think he would go in an Instant Eviction, which would secure Kevin's position with the girls as well.

I still don't know why everyone is so gaga over the instant eviction... The idea was silly the first time around...

That said I've pretty much given up on the series...

It played out slightly differently this time. A simple idea which I'm sure was more out of convenience than any thought behind it but having the HoH nominate immediately and then the other HGs believe he was yet to nominate was actually quite interesting - it does highlight how the HGs really go to work on the HoH in the 24 hours of so between them being crowned and nominating.

And we've seen it far too many times before in BBUK but having them vote publicly seems a fair way here to ensure the Instant Eviction had consequences for everyone. It's a shame Naeha has gone but she played too hard too fast and her eviction speech showed she wasn't anywhere near the player she made herself out to be - it was basically inviting people to evict her by highlighting how big a player she wanted to be.

Moving on to the HoH comp and those pairs were far too convenient for them to be "random", but it played out pretty much the way most viewers would have wanted it to be. They need a couple of wins but this is the first chance in years for a girls alliance to possibly work, though I think Ashleigh and Willow are probably ultimately loyal to the Chop Shop more than the girls.

HoH: Britnee
Nominees: Bobby and Kevin
Veto: Won by Johnny, saved Kevin
Final nominees: Bobby and Graig
Target: Graig

They need a couple of wins but this is the first chance in years for a girls alliance to possibly work, though I think Ashleigh and Willow are probably ultimately loyal to the Chop Shop more than the girls.
At this point they are more loyal to chop shop but they also realize it's the girls going home all the time. Shows that the boys will turn on them first once the time comes to lose some of their members.

Well the latest episode of Big Brother Canada has to be one of my favourite episodes of Big Brother ever, certainly of the Canadian/US format anyway. Brittnee went from extra to star of the show and took the opportunity to really play her part.

I must admit, only just caught up on the Canadian series over the Easter weekend - and I am really liking it, and the think the cast seem well chosen at the moment, there is a lot of deception and scheming, but it all seems to be kinda in the spirit of the game. I haven't found my "God please vote them out" character yet, and I neither my "want them to win". Is it a couple of weeks in, and not a lot of bitching, bullying or aggression!! A pleasant change!

I think the house is actually pretty cool overall, and for me it seems to work. It's not too elaborate, and it kinda nice for something visually different, and the vault has me hoping it plays more of a role. Like to see maybe a reward all and punishment wall where housemates choose to open a box- (so it's less "setup" by the producers) would also like to see some puzzles or hidden clues that might run series long to some rewards in the vault.

I don't follow any Canadian media, so don't know how they were setting up the series, but I think I decided in the first few minutes I was going to enjoy it.

The gameplay this season seems to be a more viewer interactive version of the U.S. Version and so far has the right mix of the best of all the formats. Haven't caught any of the live feeds yet, but hoping to, and it actually has me wanting to.

Arisa seems to me to finally settling into her role, or the production team have used her in the right way, and the show seems to be aiming at the right demographic - not dumbing down anything, not trying to pretend they are showing you everything, plus it is actually pretty PG friendly, and I don't find myself missing the more "adult" discussions and content. She is better than Sonia Kruger (she isn't playing t the five year olds in the audience) but for me, not yet reached the same level as Davina, Gretel and now Emma Willis who have the relatable, interested personas that, and can handle both live audience and the TV veiwers, without ignoring one all the time. It has been three seasons now, and (I only watch the episodes) I don't think they has injected any personality into her role, and don't particularly want to go and find out more about her.

So far- it's got me back enjoying the format again! Excited to see what the season brings!

Well the latest episode of Big Brother Canada has to be one of my favourite episodes of Big Brother ever, certainly of the Canadian/US format anyway. Brittnee went from extra to star of the show and took the opportunity to really play her part.

Yeah, that was so fun to watch. I wish Graig hadn't caught on so early and that it was all revealed during the POV ceremony, but either way I'm so happy he's up and that he's the target.

Back