Skip to main content

Big Brother Canada: Discussion

Still no Veto meeting then - I guess it'll take place today to be featured in tomorrows show.

Still no Veto meeting then - I guess it'll take place today to be featured in tomorrows show.

I have no idea... But from watching the feeds HG's are talking as if the decision has already been made... I'm really not understanding the scheduling they've been using... Nominations and Veto competition were held in the same day and if what you are saying is true, it's extremely odd that they would wait this long to hold the veto meeting... It really would be a pity if they had to cram in the veto ceremony in to the eviction episode... We really need a good character development episode, I'd like to see some friends and family in the eviction episode but with the PoVC in the eviction there really isn't any time... PoV Ceremony will probably take about 10 minutes to get through, live voting is a 10 minute segment in itself, and the eviction interview is about 5 to 10 minutes which puts the show at 30 minutes right there... That leaves no more than 15 minutes left in the show, which probably means we'll see no more than 5 minutes of anything candid...

I'd say more than ever the US format needs to add either another episode or an accompanying behind the scenes/chat show... Given that the live feeds are free here in Canada I really don't see a need for BBAD especially if they added a flashback feature... And it's not like a similar format hasn't worked in Canada before... The Hills on MTV was ALWAYS accompanied by The Aftershow and was so popular that it was picked up by MTV in the US... I think it would be a great way to pull in viewers to one of Shaw's other specialty channels such as TVtropolis because I'm pretty sure Slice's Can-con budget is tapped out... BBAD seems pointless to me since it's not airing until 2am on the east coast and I'm really not sure a lot of people are tuning in... I think a proper spin-off would pull in WAY more viewers...

ETA: The game has officially started... I wasn't a fan of the Jillian and Emmett storyline tonight, however I think tonight's episode did make some gains in the character development department...

I also need to keep reminding myself that this is the first season though and that I just need to keep my fingers crossed that next year the producers will start to deviate from the BBUS framework...

Last edited:
Tonight we were introduced to someone new tonight...

Peter was in the DR Airlock and was given a secret mission by Marsha the Moose (the moose head is hanging on the wall) He was told to retrieve three cards with quotes on them from the DR. He must work these quotes in to his conversations with other HG's within an hour in order to pass... If the other HG's respond with "what are you talking about" or anything similar he'll fail... He has an hour to complete the mission...

Peter called on Talla for the first quote "I have a rash in a very awkward place"... He decided to tell her that the cause of the rash was from eating slop... She believed him...

The next quote is "A woman knows the man she loves like a sailor knows the open seas... He chose Liza for this one and makes the quote about her being caught between Tom & Andrew... He says "you gotta figure out what you want"... She's confused but she buys it...

The last quote "The fool doth think he is wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool... He chooses AJ... He makes it about Pro wrestling and asked him to match the quote to a pro wrestler... He fails at the first attempt....

Marsha also reminds him that he is supposed to pass the quotes off like they are his own words... So his attempt with AJ would have failed anyways... Marsha also reminds him that she is a secret but she likes him so she gives him another chance...

He walks out of the DR and discovers an argument over the worst hand in poker... He decides to direct the quote at Andrew as it seemed fitting... The HG's are a little confused but Peter says Andrew says weird quotes all the time and wouldn't think it weird to have one thrown at him... Andrew is confused like Liza however the mission was considered a success...

He's won a reward for the whole house...

It should be noted that the voice of Marsha is Trevor Boris or at least I'm 99% sure... Here's a clip of Trevor's stand-up...

http://youtu.be/Ycbz9zyyjVQ

I'm also guessing the phone won't come in to play again now that Marsha's around...

I'm really not liking the Jillian & Emmett saga... BTW did she imply that they fucked or not?

Tonight we were introduced to someone new tonight...

Peter was in the DR Airlock and was given a secret mission by Marsha the Moose (the moose head is hanging on the wall) He was told to retrieve three cards with quotes on them from the DR. He must work these quotes in to his conversations with other HG's within an hour in order to pass... If the other HG's respond with "what are you talking about" or anything similar he'll fail... He has an hour to complete the mission...

Peter called on Talla for the first quote "I have a rash in a very awkward place"... He decided to tell her that the cause of the rash was from eating slop... She believed him...

The next quote is "A woman knows the man she loves like a sailor knows the open seas... He chose Liza for this one and makes the quote about her being caught between Tom & Andrew... He says "you gotta figure out what you want"... She's confused but she buys it...

The last quote "The fool doth think he is wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool... He chooses AJ... He makes it about Pro wrestling and asked him to match the quote to a pro wrestler... He fails at the first attempt....

Marsha also reminds him that he is supposed to pass the quotes off like they are his own words... So his attempt with AJ would have failed anyways... Marsha also reminds him that she is a secret but she likes him so she gives him another chance...

He walks out of the DR and discovers an argument over the worst hand in poker... He decides to direct the quote at Andrew as it seemed fitting... The HG's are a little confused but Peter says Andrew says weird quotes all the time and wouldn't think it weird to have one thrown at him... Andrew is confused like Liza however the mission was considered a success...

He's won a reward for the whole house...

It should be noted that the voice of Marsha is Trevor Boris or at least I'm 99% sure... Here's a clip of Trevor's stand-up...

http://youtu.be/Ycbz9zyyjVQ

I'm also guessing the phone won't come in to play again now that Marsha's around...

I can't believe they made him tell everyone what his task was??? WTF???

ETA: sorry for making a mess of this thread... I was posting as I was watching the episode, talking on FB, and chatting... I'll try and keep everything in 1 or 2 posts from now on...

Last edited:
A better episode - seems to be flowing a bit, though still doesn't help half the women look the same. The fake birthday was funny too.

A better episode - seems to be flowing a bit, though still doesn't help half the women look the same. The fake birthday was funny too.

I have a better understanding of the HG's because I've been watching the live feed however I think the lack of any real development up until now is all the more reason a well made companion show is needed... It looks likely the series will be renewed for a second season, Shaw seem extremely happy with the shows ratings so far, however even if it is renewed I think it's unlikely they will extend the show past the 10 week mark... Especially if the extension of the US series is successful... It's also not very likely that they'll be cutting the number of HG's to a number more fitting of a 10 week season... MTV Canada did a phenomenal job promoting Laguna Beach/The Hills and really made both those shows in to must watch shows... Both shows we're so popular here in Canada that groups of fans were hosting viewing parties... And part of the success of the show was the companion show... In fact I got hooked on both shows after I tuned in to see what "The Aftershow" was all about... The pacing of the show seems to be getting better and I think it will continue to get better as the producers become more experienced... However I still think a good secondary show can really push BB over the top...

I think an hour format with half the show being new footage from the house (slightly less "game" influenced) and the other half consisting of discussions, interviews, and viewer participation... And air the show 3 times a week after the broadcast show... Even in a half hour format with approximately 2 or 3 segments of new or extended footage is approximately 30 to 40 minutes per week that is adding to the storyline...

Watching the eviction and so far I haven't heard them use the word live... Looks like last weeks fiasco was merely a mistake... I find it interesting that they showed the HG's a package on their quirky habits... I'm not sure how I feel about this...

As much as I'm complaining from a production stand point I'm actually really enjoying the show, I just wish there was another outlet for BB content... Watching the live feed I really had no idea how much Peter and Alec were really running the house... It would be nice to see some more DR sessions, strategy talk, and more of the "reality" side of things... The eviction was extremely rushed...

The Evicted HG:

The house voted 8 -3 for Danielle to be evicted... She has a minor break-down before leaving...

The HoH is the standard Q&A... The Winner is:

The competition goes to tie break... Arisa wants to know how many liters of batter were used in the PoV challenge...

AJ, Tom, Peter, and Andrew are all in the tie break round... The winner is...

Tom is the new HoH...

Arisa seems to be throwing in a few snippy comments about the HG's... Before Topaz entered the DR to vote she made a comment about Topaz sleeping all week...

I might as well post the nominees now, even though the nominations ceremony hasn't happened yet... This is really going to be a predictable week...

Suzette and Gary

The past two PoV's have been won by a nominee so I think it's unlikely it's going to happen again for a third week in a row... I'm certain no one in the house judging by tonight's episode wants to ruffle feathers outright so it's unlikely the PoV will be used if it's won by anyone other than a nominee... If my prediction is in fact correct it's unlikely anyone will leave via the backdoor this week...

Last edited:
IMO the wrong person left... However it just shows how this game works... The average fan seems to be happy and it just goes to show my point about the show needing an additional outlet as there are several people who's story-lines are getting played FAR better than they actually are...

The more I watch the show the more I seem to be drawn to Gary... The fashion show was HILARIOUS! Talla is like night and day, on the feeds she's a complete dud with zero personality and then as soon as the show is live she seems to be playing to the cameras... Andrew really needs to step up his game and work his way in to the main alliance... Tom keeps proving he's nothing but a homophobic asshole... Alec is moving up in the ratings and I'm pretty sure Peter is going to go down as the seasons power player ala Dr. Will/Dan...

However he's really got to dump the Quatro Alliance and just stick to The Shield, knowing how the night played out I think it's unlikely the alliance can really last another week...

Aneal is a whole other bag of tricks... I think Peter's quote from last night is very fitting "The fool doth think he is wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool..." One one hand I really want to cheer for him... It's great to see a gay man in the house that isn't just there to fill a void... He seems to have a fairly good grasp on the manipulation aspect of the game, but I think he's got a false sense of security... He's an easy target and a weak physical competitor... He was one of the first out in the HoH competition which just goes to show that he's mentally weak as well... I doubt he'll win anything... He's also not much in the personality department either... He's the type of person who isn't genuinely nice to you and is really only around when he needs something from you...

Danielle's eviction tonight just goes to show exactly how BB is a social game... And Gary's association with her is going to hurt him in the long run... I find him entertaining but his social game really isn't were it needs to be... Danielle's "realness" really hurt her and it looks like once she realized the house had flipped she shut down... I really wish she would have called a few people out on her way out... And is it just me or did it seem like her interview was extremely short?

The week ahead is going to be a social strategy week... Tom aside from having the power to nominate really has very little control over the voting unless it's a tie... As I said in my previous post I think it's unlikely the PoV will be won by either of the nominees and even if it is I don't think anyone will leave via the backdoor... However a good social strategist could manipulate the direction of the vote, much in the same way Aneal did this week... However I'm really not sure either of the nominees are really good in that department...

Last edited:
Didn't Tom say earlier in the episode that a girl needs to go this week (by that I assume a girl in their alliance)? So I'm wondering if he's going to pull that trigger and perhaps backdoor Liza. Topez is so far useless, so I'm sure she isn't a threat to him.

Jillett is gross. lol.

I really pulled for Aneal, hopefully he won't get played this week and sent out the door.

ETA: Danielle's eviction was great. I love the assorted reactions and how it seemed like the giant alliance actually physically drew closer to each other when the camera panned right after Danielle refused Aneal's hug.

Didn't Tom say earlier in the episode that a girl needs to go this week (by that I assume a girl in their alliance)? So I'm wondering if he's going to pull that trigger and perhaps backdoor Liza. Topez is so far useless, so I'm sure she isn't a threat to him.

Jillett is gross. lol.

I really pulled for Aneal, hopefully he won't get played this week and sent out the door.

ETA: Danielle's eviction was great. I love the assorted reactions and how it seemed like the giant alliance actually physically drew closer to each other when the camera panned right after Danielle refused Aneal's hug.

I hope you're going to take a step back and think about what you just said...

Aneal has no chance of winning... He's shady, an opportunist, and completely unlikeable... As soon as there is a major power shift in that house he'll weasel his way in there and dump all previous allegiance... He's is playing an emotional game... 9 times out of 10 emotional players dig their own grave eventually... Danielle had no chance to win but she was the lesser of two evils... And she would have followed whatever they told her to do AND she could have been easily dumped later... They had a great opportunity to get rid of a possible threat this week and they are going to pay for it later...

You've also got to be kidding me if you think Tom's going to nominate anyone other than Gary or Suzette...

Gary has been Tom's target before they even entered the house... Gary pissed Tom off during the reward with the Alcohol and the glitter has been an issue... He's a homophobe and it shows... Gary is really a lone horse in the house and the majority of the house will support his nomination... Emmett being Tom's biggest ally is also a good indication that Gary is a target this week... You're forgetting that it was Emmett calling the shots last week NOT Jillian... She nominated based on what Emmett told her to do...

Tom's also an emotional player... He still hasn't forgiven Suzette for her nominations in week 1... He was pushing for her all last week and she almost always comes up when he's talking game... If he's pushing for a woman to leave this week it's her... He may be an idiot but he's not stupid enough to dump his "showmance" just yet... He'll need the votes later and he knows it... Tom wants a "cool" jury house if he ends up there, and there is no way he'll want to risk that...

I repeat what I've said before... Even if the veto is played this week I doubt they'll get rid of the replacement... I doubt "The Shield" will flip the vote again and risk being exposed this early...

I also think you're underestimating Topaz... She's been WAY more entertaining than some of the other people in the house... Aneal in particular... She's playing a quieter game than others right now... However there are people in there that are a lot more useless...

I honestly suggest you rethink things... Anyways now that I'm done telling you how it really is, welcome to BBBA... Good to see a fellow Albertan on BBBA... I'm King... You'll learn quickly that I'm ALWAYS right...

Last edited:
I skimmed through the first episode on YouTube tonight and, surprisingly, I got drawn a bit.

I've never been a fan of the American-style version of Big Brother (I tried to watch a US season a few years back and was so turned off by the format... I guess I'm just too used to the AU/UK style) but the thing that really intrigued me about this CA version was how well hey casted the HM's. I mean, I've only really seen bits and pieces of the Launch so far but I really love the contrast in different personalities - and the assumed intent of placing these contestants with personalities that they are likely to clash with. This is one of the reasons the whole show was invented in the first place - to experiment with the idea of completely different people living and working together - and it's also something the AU version at least has kinda tried (but failed) to maintain in their last couple of seasons.

So, I have decided to watch all the episodes of BBCA so far and see if I can keep my interest up for a while. It seems interesting enough.

I'll get back to you when I see a little more...

The game is unfolding quite nicely in the house now - though it would have been good for someone we've not really seen much of to win HoH.

Production wise though for the first time really I thought this weeks eviction seems somewhat lacking. For some reason I'm always on edge when Arisa is conducting the voting that something is going to end up leaking to the house as Arisa passes comment (it looked like tonight one of the HGs may have heard how the voting stood after their vote), while the eviction was very rushed. Danielle had been in a week longer than Kat but seemed to get asked just one question before being moved on. The ever so familar HoH Comp (Majority Rules has been used pretty much every year by BBUSA) didn't feel like it was running as smoothly as it should either - perhaps due to the constant giggles from the audience as opposed to the stoney silence of those controlled by the Chenbot.

I don't think Tom would have the balls to do that - he'd rather plant the seed and have other people do the dirty work. As Kingston has said his nominations will be more personal than strategy, and though I think they only said about a girl having to go this week in the event they voted Aneal out last night it'll be interesting to see who he targets this week to be evicted out of Gary and Suzette.

I skimmed through the first episode on YouTube tonight and, surprisingly, I got drawn a bit.

I've never been a fan of the American-style version of Big Brother (I tried to watch a US season a few years back and was so turned off by the format... I guess I'm just too used to the AU/UK style) but the thing that really intrigued me about this CA version was how well hey casted the HM's. I mean, I've only really seen bits and pieces of the Launch so far but I really love the contrast in different personalities - and the assumed intent of placing these contestants with personalities that they are likely to clash with. This is one of the reasons the whole show was invented in the first place - to experiment with the idea of completely different people living and working together - and it's also something the AU version at least has kinda tried (but failed) to maintain in their last couple of seasons.

So, I have decided to watch all the episodes of BBCA so far and see if I can keep my interest up for a while. It seems interesting enough.

I'll get back to you when I see a little more...

I think overall the casting is fairly typical of the US format... However when you're used to the type of casting both BBUK & BBAU have been dishing out BB Canada's might seem a little better... I think the "game" will always bring out personality clashes regardless of the casting...

BTW which US series did you attempt to watch?

The game is unfolding quite nicely in the house now - though it would have been good for someone we've not really seen much of to win HoH.

Production wise though for the first time really I thought this weeks eviction seems somewhat lacking. For some reason I'm always on edge when Arisa is conducting the voting that something is going to end up leaking to the house as Arisa passes comment (it looked like tonight one of the HGs may have heard how the voting stood after their vote), while the eviction was very rushed. Danielle had been in a week longer than Kat but seemed to get asked just one question before being moved on. The ever so familar HoH Comp (Majority Rules has been used pretty much every year by BBUSA) didn't feel like it was running as smoothly as it should either - perhaps due to the constant giggles from the audience as opposed to the stoney silence of those controlled by the Chenbot.

I don't think Tom would have the balls to do that - he'd rather plant the seed and have other people do the dirty work. As Kingston has said his nominations will be more personal than strategy, and though I think they only said about a girl having to go this week in the event they voted Aneal out last night it'll be interesting to see who he targets this week to be evicted out of Gary and Suzette.

It's interesting because I'm really not sure either who he's going to target either... I'm leaning towards Suzette... I think she'd be much easier to get out vs Gary who can either win the PoV for a second week or step up his social game and talk his way out... People complain about him but I think he is for the most part well liked and contributes to the house...

I caught a little bit of the feed last night and I know for a fact Suzette talked about hearing something in the DR... I'm sure others did as well... It sounded more like Suzette heard Danielle, but the conversation quickly ended due to talk the ban on talking about Production and they were only just punished this past week for not following instructions...

Another interesting bit from the brief conversation it sounds like HG's weren't isolated well enough during the HoH competition... Suzette also said she could see Alec (or one of the other boys) during the competition... She said she kept her head down and avoided the temptation to look once it came to her attention as she did not want to be labeled a cheater...

I agree with you the weakest moments of the eviction are firstly the audience and secondly Arisa... IMO she's coming across almost like a split personality... She's obviously scripted and then when she attempts to show personality it's like she's trying to hard to be cool... Even Brian who I think is by far the worst BB host that I've seen has more control over the audience than Arisa does... And while he has his moments he doesn't seem like he's fumbling his way through either... That's not to say I think Arisa is a bad choice and really needs to work on making the job her own... Right now it looks like a bad mix of Julie Chen and Davina...

BTW which US series did you attempt to watch?
I honestly wouldn't remember to be honest, but if I had to try and recall roughly when it was, I think it was around the end of 2007 or beginning of 2008. So what series might that have been?

I just remember it feeling so "fake". But again, I was so used to the AU format that something like the US format seemed so different than the BB concept that I was already used to. But I've become a bit more open-minded about it since, I think. I'm currently up to the newest episode of BBCA now and, while I think I do still prefer the format of the AU/UK version, I can still appreciate the strategic and full-on game playing concept of the US/CA version.

I'll keep watching for now and see how it goes. This is really the first international series I'm giving a proper go from the start.

I do know that I am not a fan of Tom though, and he would be my first target to get out of the way if I was in there. He is way too much competition for the others for my liking. :p

Oh and also, is there any real use in watching After Dark? I am open to it, but has it provided any extra insight into the HG's so far? I assume it's basically just like an Uplate/live stream type program.

Back