Skip to main content

Big Brother Canada: Discussion

I honestly wouldn't remember to be honest, but if I had to try and recall roughly when it was, I think it was around the end of 2007 or beginning of 2008. So what series might that have been?

I just remember it feeling so "fake". But again, I was so used to the AU format that something like the US format seemed so different than the BB concept that I was already used to. But I've become a bit more open-minded about it since, I think. I'm currently up to the newest episode of BBCA now and, while I think I do still prefer the format of the AU/UK version, I can still appreciate the strategic and full-on game playing concept of the US/CA version.

I'll keep watching for now and see how it goes. This is really the first international series I'm giving a proper go from the start.

I do know that I am not a fan of Tom though, and he would be my first target to get out of the way if I was in there. He is way too much competition for the others for my liking. :p

Oh and also, is there any real use in watching After Dark? I am open to it, but has it provided any extra insight into the HG's so far? I assume it's basically just like an Uplate/live stream type program.

2007 was BB8 which was actually the last US series I watched all the way through... It was the series with America's Player... 2008 actually had two series, one that launched in February and the other launched in the regular summer slot... BB9 was the last series that used the casting twist, with all HM's being paired with a "soul mate" and each pair was treated as one HG... BB10 was more of a back to basics series although by that point I had really grown tired of the format... BB8 got some coverage here on BBBA so it was probably that series you watched... You really have to appreciate the show for what it is as trying to compare it to other versions is like comparing apples and oranges... BBUS is essentially a completely different show with the same name...

BBAD is just the live feed on TV with commercials that is pre-taped from earlier in the night... I honestly just watch the live feed online... Even though it's geo-blocked there are still ways you can watch it... However it might be easier to just watch BBAD fi you can find a regular spot to watch it...

I've just been watching the actual episodes, disappointing they are so few. It makes it feel like time in the house moves faster than it really does.

It's interesting as I've never seen BBUSA, I am enjoying the lack of a public vote and the open discussion of votes is so different. It's very Survivorish.

The social psych is the most interesting so far.

Yeah. At the moment I think I'm enjoying Suzette, Jillian and even Aneal. I feel like I don't mind Emmett either because, while he's certainly one of the major alpha males, there's still something about him that I find endearing. I'm not quite sure yet. Whereas Tom just erks me.

I actually think Aneal might be my favourite so far. I really like his thought process and logic behind how to play the game. Plus, he's just a little bit cute, so. :p

Gary is another one that I can't make my mind up about yet too. Yes, he is extremely annoying, but I can't help but feel sorry for him sometimes, and I think this is where he is winning a lot of the public over (at least judging by the reactions he was getting during the live show). He is probably one of, if not the, only person in there who is actually being themselves I believe. He seems very genuine about what he does and says. I like that. While he might be overdoing it sometimes as some of the other HG's are suggesting, I feel like he's really only just being himself, not to mention that he's practically the only one there who provides major source of entertainment for the house - and that fashion show was great fun! I kinda hope Gary sticks around for a while actually.

Tom, on the other hand, is just a complete dick who needs to get his head out of his arse and be put into place. I can't stand him. It amazes me that the other HG's just haven't conspired against him yet because, let's face it, he probably is their biggest competition yet. He just seriously needs to go.

I also don't really like Peter, who just constantly seems to make excuses for everything he does wrong as "doing it on purpose" to "gain sympathy" from everyone else and truly believes that everyone just feels bad for him everytime he doesn't perfect something. :rolleyes:

The others, however, haven't really made much of an impression on me yet. There's even a couple people who every time they appear on screen I'm just like "whoa who's that again" 'cause we hardly see them. :p The only other one I can recall is (I think it's) Talla, who is always so weird when she speaks to Arisa in the DR... and there's that girl who sleeps all the time...

Also, I really like some of the games they've had the HG's compete in. I'd like to see them do that tree hugging one on BBAU sometime and actually leave them there for as long as they can hold on for, just like BBCA did.

But yeah, it'll be interesting to see who's on the block this week anyway...;)

Last edited:
Any idea what the random tasks the HMs have been doing overnight are all about. They've had to build a human pyramid, all share a shower, all submerge themselves in the pool (with BB threatening certain death if they didn't hurry up!), were woken at 5am to dance for Big Brother and then had to create a trail of objects throughout the house.

[youtubevid]aZAlS07kpjY[/youtubevid]

[youtubevid]YRr9AzGmTGI[/youtubevid]

Any idea what the random tasks the HMs have been doing overnight are all about. They've had to build a human pyramid, all share a shower, all submerge themselves in the pool (with BB threatening certain death if they didn't hurry up!), were woken at 5am to dance for Big Brother and then had to create a trail of objects throughout the house.

[youtubevid]aZAlS07kpjY[/youtubevid]

[youtubevid]YRr9AzGmTGI[/youtubevid]

I'm thinking that it has to do with the Have/Have Not competition... Last week Have/Have not was the first competition of the week... Given that last week dealt with a group, I'm thinking this is an all in competition this week... If HM's are able to successfully complete all the tasks they will win food for the week... However I'm really not sure... I believe the warning has to do with HM's attitudes the following week... Like the US HG's almost every time they are given instructions BB is given back-talk... He was merely giving them a reason to hurry up...

BTW it looks like the nominations went down exactly as I predicted...

ETA: I've been informed that the tasks were part of a punishment.. Someone had messed with a camera... As I said before this BB is not putting up with bullshit from HM's... It was only last week that they were warned... This was BB taking the punishments to a new level... However I'm not really sure any of this will make the broadcast show as there was no mention of the previous punishment...

PoV Spoiler:

Tom won the PoV... As I suspected it was not won by a nominee... Suzette also has a meltdown apparently where she accused Tom of targetting her because she was Aboriginal... None of the other HG's said that they got any impression that Tom was being racist and she later apologized... However I wouldn't be surprised if there was some truth in what she was saying... It does seem like he's only targeting the woman and the gays...

Last edited:
Oh yes, and nothing to do with you nominating him on Day 1! Hopefully Suzette is out this week - since picking up the phone on Day 1 she seems to have done nothing.

Wow. The show's Twitter account just announced a HUGE twist.

Instead of any of the housemates, Canada's getting the Veto next week.

It'll be interesting to see how they do that - whether the question is Save X, Save Y or Save Nobody, or whether it's simply "Who should have the Power of Veto?". Hopefully it's the latter, but for that to work it needs to be voted on before the nominations IMO to be fair.

It'll be interesting to see how they do that - whether the question is Save X, Save Y or Save Nobody, or whether it's simply "Who should have the Power of Veto?". Hopefully it's the latter, but for that to work it needs to be voted on before the nominations IMO to be fair.

For sure I was just sayin it's really not a big game changing twist as some people are trying to make it out to be... Now if it weren't just a one off twist and instead went from week to week I'd be a little more impressed... It's also not as if the US format hasn't had the public influence the game in one way or another over the years... I really don't see how a one off vote is original or unexpected... IMO it's no different from America voting for Jeff to win the Coup d'État or America casting votes to evict via Americas player...

Last edited:
I just hope it is for next week - seems a bit of confusion around over how it will play out but if it's for this week it just screams fix, and if they're going to throw in a twist to save a dead HG walking why on earth waste it on Suzette?

I just hope it is for next week - seems a bit of confusion around over how it will play out but if it's for this week it just screams fix, and if they're going to throw in a twist to save a dead HG walking why on earth waste it on Suzette?

Well from what I remember Voice over guy said to tune in Thursday for an "eviction" twist where Canada gets the PoV... I agree the message sounds a little cryptic however they specifically mention Thursday... I think the word "eviction" was just another oversight by the producers... If the PoV twist was intended for this week the voting would have to start no later than the end of Wednesday's episode in order to have results for Thursday... PoV for this week has already happened and having two in one week seems extremely odd...

PoV Ceremony:

Tom used the PoV to save Gary and put AJ up in his place... Still looks like Suzette is out on Thursday...

Well from what I remember Voice over guy said to tune in Thursday for an "eviction" twist where Canada gets the PoV... I agree the message sounds a little cryptic however they specifically mention Thursday... I think the word "eviction" was just another oversight by the producers... If the PoV twist was intended for this week the voting would have to start no later than the end of Wednesday's episode in order to have results for Thursday... PoV for this week has already happened and having two in one week seems extremely odd...

I saw this on the official twitter...

BBCPP.jpg

Someone in the BBQ Chat said they sent out a promo that said... "Tune in this Wednesday on Slice, then visit the Big Brother Canada website before 2pm ET Thursday March 14th, to have your say!"

So it is looking more like this week...

ETA: So I talked the twist over with someone on the BBQ, and I think if the veto is going to come in to play for this weeks eviction it should take a form similar to Survivors hidden immunity idol... Canada votes for whom they want the veto to go to and they must use their secret veto within a certain time frame...

Last edited:
OK. Surely viewers wouldn't give it Suzette - even if they did and she saved herself on Thursday she'd almost certainly be gone the following week. Not been following the popularity polls but it would make more sense to vote for someone who is safe this week but highly likely to be a target in the weeks ahead - so the likes of Gary or the non-arsehole members of the Quatro (which is probably just Alec!)

OK. Surely viewers wouldn't give it Suzette - even if they did and she saved herself on Thursday she'd almost certainly be gone the following week. Not been following the popularity polls but it would make more sense to vote for someone who is safe this week but highly likely to be a target in the weeks ahead - so the likes of Gary or the non-arsehole members of the Quatro (which is probably just Alec!)

I'm honestly not sure... As I said at the beginning of the week, Tom is digging his own grave... Suzette may not be well liked but if she's saved this week (and it sounds like she will be), Tom's going to loose his mind... In tonight's episode they made a point to show exactly how much the house dislikes him... He's way too emotional and therefore unpredictable, if it were me I'd target him over Suzette and he'd be a perfect candidate for the backdoor... At this point I think Suzette is a much better ally than Tom...

Wow I lost a lot of respect for Suzette tonight... And it all came down to her apology... He's been on your back from day 1 and apologizing this late in the game really isn't going to make you any less of a target... Besides it really is only a matter of time before he snaps and I'm sure he'll be a lot further over than line that you were... IMO it was the perfect strategy for her at this point.. I mean there are very few people who actually like her in that house and she really has virtually no one to pander to for votes... So why not help make Tom even more hated than he actually is???

Back