Skip to main content

Big Brother Australia Media Articles

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does that mean "jump the shark" :confused:

The moment when a show,band, actor, or public figure etc which were considered great, have taken a turn for the worse and run out of ideas and must resort to stunts or gimmicks to get attention.
The term comes for the old TV series 'Happy Days' when the Fonz waterskied over a shark.

What does that mean "jump the shark" :confused:

Origin - Happy Days
Context - Fonzie is waterskiing - he literally jumps over a shark
(apparently, I hate that show and haven't seen the footage - must go and spy that, sounds funny)

Anyway - the term means.........fucked up stupid, beyond a joke, ridiculous, lost the plot, over the top, almost evil dumb flashy shit.
You have lost sight of the original show concept - and your just using cheap meaningless tricks

Eg: Housemate
Corey the dickhead party animal kid, in trouble for causing mayhem with THAT suburban party, one of the first facebook riots in the suburbs.

The moment when a show,band, actor, or public figure etc which were considered great, have taken a turn for the worse and run out of ideas and must resort to stunts or gimmicks to get attention.
The term comes for the old TV series 'Happy Days' when the Fonz waterskied over a shark.

VpxCV.gif

Definitely by 2008 with Kyle and Jackie and a revolving door of celebrity guests, but also the relationship twists for the three previous seasons. And Bones jumped the shark for me when they turned Zack into a serial killer.

Agreed for both big brother and bones. :)

Top ten TV shows to jump the shark

079017-b4678b82-4b37-11e3-9491-1affab8972a4.jpg

3. Big Brother Australia : Cause for dissent here. Was it Celebrity Big Brother? Was it when Kyle and Jackie O took over from Gretel Killeen? Was it when it moved from Channel 10 to Nine and they put it through the cleaners? Yes. It was that one.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/television/top-ten-tv-shows-to-jump-the-shark/story-fni0cc2c-1226758079201

Yeah knew Grey's would be on there, it's got ridiculous the last few years.
Oh well I don't care as long as my Arizona is on it *fans self*

Thank you. Sad for BB, then :(

Origin - Happy Days
(apparently, I hate that show and haven't seen the footage - must go and spy that, sounds funny)

Anyway - the term means.........fucked up stupid, beyond a joke, ridiculous, lost the plot, over the top, almost evil dumb flashy shit.
You have lost sight of the original show concept - and your just using cheap meaningless tricks

Corey the dickhead party animal kid, in trouble for causing mayhem with THAT suburban party, one of the first facebook riots in the suburbs.

I had never heard it before. First time for everything, thank you :)

Origin - Happy Days

It was actually MySpace, not Facebook.

I heard that it being referred to on the radio a few days back too. Seems people are remembering him, but forgetting about MySpace.

Similar to "Jumped the Shark" is "Nuked the fridge" which means there was an event/scene/moment/whatever so amazing that all future events seem less exciting in comparison.

It can also be used in a broader sense eg. "The Godfather II nuked the fridge" meaning it was a movie so good, that the sequel pales in comparison.

From this (somewhat ridiculous) Indiana Jones scene:
[video=youtube;lbrzQMbTYZM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbrzQMbTYZM[/video]

See I never got the Nuke the Fridge thing. As that scene was one of the better moments in that film.

See I never got the Nuke the Fridge thing. As that scene was one of the better moments in that film.

That's the point I, the fridge nuke moment was so 'good' that all the other action was less in comparison. It climaxed too early.

That's the point I, the fridge nuke moment was so 'good' that all the other action was less in comparison. It climaxed too early.

People actually think that cheesy fridge scene was good? Sheesh. Maybe if you enjoy slapstick comedy

See I always thought it was meant to just be the jump the shark moment for films. Where a film or a film franchise has gone over the top it can never recover.

Happy days lost it way eariler than the shark moment. I liked the show but the mystery of the missing brother, Chuck, always puzzled me. He was the oldest of the Cunningham family and was in season one at least, maybe part of season two. He went upstairs to his room one day and never heard of again. His room was rented out by Fonzie later and when Joanie got married, Mr C made a speech praising his TWO kids. So what happened to Chuck? I always wanted to know.
As for jumping the shark. I also think when characters have babies they are also running out of story. The cast of Friends end up dating each other sort of lost it there too.

But still I ask where is Chuck?

Happy days lost it way eariler than the shark moment. I liked the show but the mystery of the missing brother, Chuck, always puzzled me. He was the oldest of the Cunningham family and was in season one at least, maybe part of season two. He went upstairs to his room one day and never heard of again. His room was rented out by Fonzie later and when Joanie got married, Mr C made a speech praising his TWO kids. So what happened to Chuck? I always wanted to know.
As for jumping the shark. I also think when characters have babies they are also running out of story. The cast of Friends end up dating each other sort of lost it there too.

But still I ask where is Chuck?

Chuck went off to college - and was forgotten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back