Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020 production / schedule / format talk

So, just coming back to this. If it's a 10 or 12 week season which goes to air mid way through taping, there will be a huge risk of spoilers of the early evictions because a bunch of housemates will all be back at their usual jobs and lives by the time the launch airs. But then I suppose even if the whole season is in the can, people will look them all up on social media and figure out how long they lasted.
These days contestants on shows are usually forbidden to use social media until filming has completed to try curb people figuring out what happened in advance - as seen on The Circle US, Alana was off off social media for as long as the others despite only lasting a couple of days on the show.

I guess they could always ship evicted housemates out somewhere on a paid-for holiday to keep them out of view until filming wraps as well to prevent co-workers and friends figuring out if they left early or not.

These days contestants on shows are usually forbidden to use social media until filming has completed to try curb people figuring out what happened in advance - as seen on The Circle US, Alana was off off social media for as long as the others despite only lasting a couple of days on the show.

I guess they could always ship evicted housemates out somewhere on a paid-for holiday to keep them out of view until filming wraps as well to prevent co-workers and friends figuring out if they left early or not.
OK so I guess we now know what the second shed is really for 😂

If the show is not live then what is to stop die hard big brother fans from flying drones over the house yard to see who is and isnt remaining and then sharing the photos / information with us?

I have a feeling (and from what I have read online) 7 will be cautious with this season and will keep it really short: about 6 to 8 weeks. (Airing time)

8 weeks I am hoping for rather than 6. That is as long as I think they will do and 6 weeks is way too short for me.

If the show is not live then what is to stop die hard big brother fans from flying drones over the house yard to see who is and isnt remaining and then sharing the photos / information with us?

Doubtful... We have no idea how the production schedule lines up with the broadcast episodes or much in terms of context. We’re more likely to have direct leaks from production staff or contractors than we are from fans.

I have a feeling (and from what I have read online) 7 will be cautious with this season and will keep it really short: about 6 to 8 weeks. (Airing time)

8 weeks I am hoping for rather than 6. That is as long as I think they will do and 6 weeks is way too short for me.

What are you basing this off of?

Off of. Equals ... on?

Seems like someone is just choosing numbers out of nowhere... If they honestly believe in stretching a pre-recorded series out 8 weeks I’d like to know how they arrived at that conclusion.

Realistically a full eviction cycle won’t last more than a handful of days so unless they plan on having a ludicrous number of HM’s anything more than a maximum of 6 weeks is out of the question. In this situation time equals money so there will be very little in terms of downtime.

Of course how long it lasts depends on how many episodes a week they choose to air - could be anything from 2-5.

House Rules usually doesn't end until July but once they're past the main renovations they often drop to 2 or 3 episodes a week, so Big Brother could come in early and air on a 3-episode cycle as in the US with weekly evictions, then pick up extra episodes towards the end.

I do think though despite hints it'll air pre-Olympics all the signs look to it airing afterwards - gives them the biggest promo platform for it and frankly Seven haven't really got anything else to air there.

Of course how long it lasts depends on how many episodes a week they choose to air - could be anything from 2-5.

Give or take a few days the number of episodes has little effect... I mean BBUS has filled entire episodes with events that took place over a matter of hours.

Pre-recording also means they can edit episodes to construct whatever storyline they want... So the timeline of the events really doesn’t matter as much as it would if it were airing in real time. They can easily pad episodes where it’s needed with additional content.

Anything longer than a 6 week schedule would be considered wasteful spending.

What are you basing this off of?

Sorry just pure speculation on my part. Read on TV Blackbox that the series was going to be incredibly shorter than past Big Brother seasons. Makes sense to me with the new format that a 6-8 week run is likely.

It will be interesting to see what Seven do if this attempt is a huge success and profitable for all involved - do they increase the budget and slowly add things back that they removed to keep costs down, or do they keep it as-is and just make more profit?

It will be interesting to see what Seven do if this attempt is a huge success and profitable for all involved - do they increase the budget and slowly add things back that they removed to keep costs down, or do they keep it as-is and just make more profit?
If it’s a success they will milk every inch out of it to the point that they will kill it quick. Aka MKR

An interesting TV Tonight article about prize money in reality TV and gameshows got me thinking has the prize for BB been mentioned? Did Nine stick with $250k throughout it's run, though with MKR slashing their jackpot to $100k this year I wonder where it'll land. Could be like in Canada where it is $100k and then a couple of prizes provided by sponsors (usually vouchers from an interiors store and either a car or holiday).

Well the prize for the first season of BBAU was $250k. I don't think it has ever been less than that, has it? I hope they don't butcher this franchise to the point of it being unrecognisable. We should start to see more promos soon hopefully.

Well the prize for the first season of BBAU was $250k. I don't think it has ever been less than that, has it? I hope they don't butcher this franchise to the point of it being unrecognisable. We should start to see more promos soon hopefully.

It's never been lower than $250k... That said I really don't think it matters what the prize is at the end of the day. BB Canada's prize is still only $100k + a few thousands in extra's and it hasn't taken anything away from the series in terms of entertainment value.

Also to a certain degree this series will be distinct from those in the past as it follows the "Survivor in a house" format used in North America. I think one needs to approach this current revival with an open mind... There may be some aspects that are similar and others that stray away from the format Australian's have seen in the past.

That said I really don't think it matters what the prize is at the end of the day.
Agreed.

The times where increasing the prize money to a million could be considered big news are well over. People are just used to hearing extremely large figures being quoted as prizes these days. Plus viewing numbers are well down compared to back then because of streaming that budgets can't really justify it anymore as well.

Back