Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020 production / schedule / format talk

This is very interesting. Surely they wouldn’t go to this length to just run for 4 weeks. It’s way too big of a setup.
Interesting that it appears they have incorporated the stone wall there...
Wonder how TV black box will try and spin this as an exclusive of theirs 😂😜

Location of the new house
h17r45w.jpg

Looks like the “house” was just an open shed they have converted.
u3jaJaQ.jpg

cz0zSuh.jpg

QlBkHle.jpg

Looks like a decent location and a nice enough house. Most houses nowadays are in converted studio space so this is along those lines.

I don't see why they couldn't run a 3 episode cycle for the majority of the series... With a condensed cycle for double evictions and the tail end of the series. They'd just be left with a potential cliffhanger on weeks where there's an odd episode in the cycle. A 2 episode cycle seems far too short even with 90/120 minute episodes. They also aren't likely to have a weekly double eviction or enough one off twists to fill an extra episode per week so it only makes sense to let the cycle start again regardless of what day of the week it airs on. Cliffhangers aren't the best from a viewing perspective but from a production standpoint they're great at keeping viewers engaged and creating suspense. Also the fact that almost any episode could be a potential eviction is incentive for the viewers not to skip episodes as every episode has some importance in the overall story.
I do think with their reality formats the Aussie networks like viewers to know certain events will happen on a certain night every week, so that makes a three episode cycle unlikely IMO as I think they'll want evictions the same two nights every week. A 2/3 split would work well enough - can throw in an extra food challenge or something when you've an extra episode to play with.

This is very interesting. Surely they wouldn’t go to this length to just run for 4 weeks. It’s way too big of a setup.
Interesting that it appears they have incorporated the stone wall there...
Wonder how TV black box will try and spin this as an exclusive of theirs 😂😜
They've probably leased the building for a year and will film back to back series to air over the next 5 years. 😂😜

It's so weird seeing the house like this, but the backyard looks really nice and expensive(?), I like that the roof looks similar to the old big brother house so it doesn't feel completely foreign.

Tried piecing together the pictures from the article with mattsbb's screen shots to get a layout of where everything is.

The backyard is quite tiny compared to the old house, the stone wall was a retaining wall that has been there since the original north head build. PicsArt_02-13-04.03.34.jpg

Tried piecing together the pictures from the article with mattsbb's screen shots to get a layout of where everything is.

The backyard is quite tiny compared to the old house, the stone wall was a retaining wall that has been there since the original north head build. View attachment 55091
Pretty accurate dissection. The house is definitely going to spread across the multiple sheds as the main one is smaller than the Dreamworld one was.

Will they need camera runs? I thought they'd just used internal cameras with intelligent systems now? Not sure they'd be allowed to cut huge slot windows into the, er, shed anyway.

Not sure they'd be allowed to cut huge slot windows into the, er, shed anyway.
They're not, they're building the runs into the house (which there is room for) but they're also building a temporary external shell 'run' to connect the buildings to each other through their front and back doors which open wide enough and on both sides + to easily navigate around the set and protect the camera/operators from the weather. It also looks like they're building a larger outdoor area next to the backyard in one of the photos which will probably reintroduce the classic double door FNL esque entrance.

I'm just starting to think now - (somehow) Friday night live was always their more popular offering on channel 10. I think 7 are completely revolving the season around daily 'FNL' games because they know it's probably going to rate similarly to the oldenq days (unless ninja warrior is on at the same time).

They're not, they're building the runs into the house (which there is room for) but they're also building a temporary external shell 'run' to connect the buildings to each other through their front and back doors which open wide enough and on both sides + to easily navigate around the set and protect the camera/operators from the weather. It also looks like they're building a larger outdoor area next to the backyard in one of the photos which will probably reintroduce the classic double door FNL esque entrance.

I'm just starting to think now - (somehow) Friday night live was always their more popular offering on channel 10. I think 7 are completely revolving the season around daily 'FNL' games because they know it's probably going to rate similarly to the oldenq days (unless ninja warrior is on at the same time).

7's series will not get anywhere near the ratings that BB used to get on Ten. Would not be suprised to see the series premiere at 700-800k and then sink to the ratings MKR is now getting once viewers realise this is nothing like the BB they are used to.

this is nothing like the BB they are used to.
Honestly, it's going to annoy most of the BB Fans here but just looking at how Survivor and MAFS rate and the way they're casted and edited - it's actually quite smart of 7 and ESA to not try and recreate the "old big brother" the purists crave because the old format daily shows are boring as batshit to the masses in 2020 and filling an hour and a half timeslot with daily shows like that is just begging for your show to be cancelled. It's had it's hey day, now it's time for another generation of the show to etch new memories into a new generation of audience that are being exposed to Big Brother for possibly the very first time.

Ask yourself 'How do I engage a 13-34 age group audience and retain that audience in 2020?' - Marketable, follow-able, attractive people that are provocative, say silly retweet-able shit and best represent the 4 main occupations that audience works in (Retail, Admin/office workers, Beauty Therapists and Tradies) so your audience can relate as much to your cast as possible and questionable decisions by those cast members (and sometimes production itself) that divide an audience and create buzz and engagement with the show and that need for wanting more when the episode ends - see RuPaul's Drag Race.

I'm prepared for BB2020 to be complete trash, mainly because trash is what brings the flies to your pile now. Television that takes no effort to watch, instills a sense of arrogance into the viewers and the networks love manipulating its audience to feel a certain way, it also helps that people love feeling the pseudo-feels, it's why MAFS has easily averaged a million metro viewers a night for almost 4 years in a row.

I really do want that channel 10 Big Brother back but it's never going to happen simply because the world has descended to shit over the past 12 years and reality TV has evolved so much since 2008..

Honestly, it's going to annoy most of the BB Fans here but just looking at how Survivor and MAFS rate and the way they're casted and edited - it's actually quite smart of 7 and ESA to not try and recreate the "old big brother" the purists crave because the old format daily shows are boring as batshit to the masses in 2020 and filling an hour and a half timeslot with daily shows like that is just begging for your show to be cancelled. It's had it's hey day, now it's time for another generation of the show to etch new memories into a new generation of audience that are being exposed to Big Brother for possibly the very first time.

Ask yourself 'How do I engage a 13-34 age group audience and retain that audience in 2020?' - Marketable, follow-able, attractive people that are provocative, say silly retweet-able shit and best represent the 4 main occupations that audience works in (Retail, Admin/office workers, Beauty Therapists and Tradies) so your audience can relate as much to your cast as possible and questionable decisions by those cast members (and sometimes production itself) that divide an audience and create buzz and engagement with the show and that need for wanting more when the episode ends - see RuPaul's Drag Race.

I'm prepared for BB2020 to be complete trash, mainly because trash is what brings the flies to your pile now. Television that takes no effort to watch, instills a sense of arrogance into the viewers and the networks love manipulating its audience to feel a certain way, it also helps that people love feeling the pseudo-feels, it's why MAFS has easily averaged a million metro viewers a night for almost 4 years in a row.

I really do want that channel 10 Big Brother back but it's never going to happen simply because the world has descended to shit over the past 12 years and reality TV has evolved so much since 2008..

I think you may be looking at channel ten era big brother with rose coloured glasses.

Back