Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020 production / schedule / format talk

I'm very conscious that this is not a political conversation so I'll leave this by giving my reasoning here and try to be apolitical so that I can leave it at that. If you're keen to have a conversation about it though, happy to through private message. I'm a big fan of having meaningful and respectful conversations with people you don't necessarily agree with. (Great way to get a different perspective that you might not otherwise consider).

So anyway, why I think Peta would be a bad idea for hosting:

1) She'd never go for it - she's vocally socially conservative and I think a lot of the conversations and other facets associated with BB would go against what she believes in.

2) I work in a role where I need to be all over politics. Both when Peta was Abbott's chief of staff and now that she's a political commentator on Sky, I have found her to be extremely biased and extremely inflexible to other people's opinions. I personally fall in the centre politicly. Tilt to the right on some issues; to the left on others. I agree with some of what Peta has to say and I have absolutely no doubt she's a highly intelligent woman. And yes, a trailblazer for females in power. However, she fails to come to the table when it comes to debate and will shut down the conversation if someone criticises her argument. If you thought Gretel was hostile with housemates she didn't personally like (despite what the public's view of them was generally), wait until you see PC attacking them without allowing them to get a word in post-eviction. Just try mentioning one of the (objectively) poor decisions Tony Abbott made while he was PM and she was chief of staff.. you'll soon see what I mean.

What if she was offered an enticing pay and the opportunity to have creative input?

I think Australia is conservative in some ways. Credlin's character could add a different perspective than what people might associate with Big Brother.

I want the audience to be diverse end not just left-wing people or Instagram influencers.

Maybe Credlin is not comparable to Gretel politically. I am unsure what Gretel is, but I think Credlin can be tough like Gretel appeared to be.

I want a host that has some opinion and I do not want them to be too objective. Occasionally I want an opinion from them.

I like Sonia but she did not seem opinionated enough to entertain me. I do not think she was suitable for Big Brother.

If Credlin can let housemates speak and then offer her opinion respectfully then I think she would be a strong host.

I'm still subscribing to the delusion that everything we've heard is complete bs and it will be a complete revival of 10 era BB haha. But yeah, I agree. Got to give it a chance. If it does turn out to be shit, then we can bitch about it.

All these rumours are making me feel wary, but i'm hopeful that it will all turn out for the best.

Wikipedia have the second season of Survivor being Oct - Dec 2020. Not sure where that comes from? But if BB is Q3 it might be finished before Survivor starts.
They did say in their upfronts they would be focusing on 50 weeks of the year so it's not impossible. I'd be really annoyed if they ran against each other. REALLY annoyed.

What will really annoy/upset me is if due to the housemates voting each other out and no live evictions, that this will mean there will be no more "it's time to go". Which would suck even more if Gretel really is the host.

What will really annoy/upset me is if due to the housemates voting each other out and no live evictions, that this will mean there will be no more "it's time to go". Which would suck even more if Gretel really is the host.
That really is a minor thing but the phrase could be included...

"By a vote of 7-0, Dennis - It's Time to.... Go"

And then of course you have the occassional fake out where you have "By a vote of 4-3, Dennis - It's Time to... Stay".

There's one thing that I hadn't thought of yet - how the hell will the winner be picked? Will they film two endings and let the viewers vote or will everything be 100% internal?

There's one thing that I hadn't thought of yet - how the hell will the winner be picked? Will they film two endings and let the viewers vote or will everything be 100% internal?

Most likely they will film 2 endings like Masterchef and MKR do.

Could big brother do their eviction like love island do theirs? like have it a few hours before the airing but on the same day? so it's prerecorded but not months in advance.

If they follow the US/Canadian format exactly it'll be chosen by a jury of ex-housemates, usually the last 7-9 evictees who once evicted move into a Jury house and then vote Survivor style.

Filming two endings just doesn't work for me - denies viewers of the genuine moment the winner discovers they've won. Survivor Australia seem to have managed to keep it quiet without filming fake endings, whilst also possible like the live Survivor finals the vote will be pre-recorded but the outcome will be revealed live.

Conspiracy theory: they’re just SAYING it’s pre-recorded, and once they go into lock down, it’s revealed that it’s actually live, and the HM’s don’t know it.
Love a good twist. 🤷🏽‍♂️
I mean you could tell the housemates that but wouldn't you know if big brother was scheduled to be on tv in like 2 weeks or something?

I mean you could tell the housemates that but wouldn't you know if big brother was scheduled to be on tv in like 2 weeks or something?

Mass marketing for a week?
“BIG BROTHER IS BACK LIVE NEXT WEEK....AND THE HOUSEMATES HAVE NO IDEA”

At least the momentum wouldn’t fade, as it often does when promos start too early.

If they follow the US/Canadian format exactly it'll be chosen by a jury of ex-housemates, usually the last 7-9 evictees who once evicted move into a Jury house and then vote Survivor style.

Filming two endings just doesn't work for me - denies viewers of the genuine moment the winner discovers they've won. Survivor Australia seem to have managed to keep it quiet without filming fake endings, whilst also possible like the live Survivor finals the vote will be pre-recorded but the outcome will be revealed live.

The last 2 years it was pretty obvious who had won Survivor Australia just by looking at the Sportsbet odds released at the beginning of the season.

The last 2 years it was pretty obvious who had won Survivor Australia just by looking at the Sportsbet odds released at the beginning of the season.

to be fair, the last week or 2 before the final there were times where Brian Lake was tipped to win last year

Back