Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020 production / schedule / format talk

I think after all the backlash from the public, they would be stupid not to change their minds about how they're going to do it. I don't see why they need to take a new approach on the format, when the answer is literally right in front of them, do it like it was back in the ten days. I wouldn't see it as copying 10, because there are literally over 40 other countries with the same format. I was actually tooken back by how much attention bb gets. Davids april fools prank got over 100 comments, one of his most commented articles. And there have been at least 20-30 articles written over the internet about its revival. No other show would get that. This shows the audience is there, and all 7 need to do is deliver what they want. I was ok with them going to the northern american format, but not being live is a step too far. Even my family who barely watch the show say what there doing is wrong and its not bb. All those comments on TVT, coming from people who dont really watch say its wrong aswell. Lucky sevens still planning the show, and hopefully they will see the backlash and change their minds.

Yep, if they're in the early stages of pre-production there's still hope they will change the format. I doubt they will... but I think they will be doing themselves a huge disservice if they refuse to even consider the feedback out of a sense of righteousness.

Either way I will watch at least the first episode. Maybe I'll eat my words.

Some people are saying, but after two attempts with the format the show needs to be shooken up. I don't think it really does. Cause if you look at ten the show started to decay for them 2005-2006, yes, it still rated well. But i think it started to fall here because of the root they took with the show, 'hot, sexy, singles'. It started to become unrelatable and the conversations became shallow. After 06, they were confused what to do with 07, and the casting didn't really pop. Then they tried to revamp, and 08 strayed abit too far from the concept of bb, and just became overwhelming. Then nine took it and they just filtered it too much/went too cheap, they didnt make it event tv and didnt make the show what it should've been. The point of this is its not the actual format that's the problem, its how its done, and seven needs to see that. I dont think they should change the show if its not necessary. And i just dont think that the northern american format is going to work here. Survivor took 6 seasons before it started to warm up to viewers and the northern american format is indeed going to alienate viewers.

Well our worst fears have been confirmed.

Not going live is just going to make Big Brother like every other reality show out there. I don’t see how this is going to be a success on 7.

If it is airing in August it is going to be up against Survivor which already has a established fan base and building up year on year. The Olympics might get people interested at first but I can see the numbers dropping off.

What is the point of watching Big Brother “live” on 7 when you can just watch it later and in your own time on catch up days, weeks, months, years later. Survivor is going to win this ratings battle against it. People aren’t going to switch over when a show like that is gaining momentum. There is no point of difference to switch.

Big Brother has a big fan base but I am sure a lot will drop off as soon as they hear it is not live. Let’s face it 7 needed those Big Brother fans to watch if they had any hope of doing decent in the ratings. This is the 3rd time the show is coming back. Will the average viewer be interested and in the long term? It needed all of the help it could get. You’re now going to struggle to get the casual and the fan base to watch.

I may be proven wrong but I can’t see Big Brother doing well on 7. It is not going to get the numbers they want and now they are alienating the fan base.

No matter what happens next year the number of applications show the appetite for big brother in Australia is high. If they try a new format and it doesn't work for Australian audiences hopefully that does not mean that is it for bb, and they will try again.

I do wonder what kind of contract 7 has signed. Remember Channel 9 had a three year deal so we got three seasons out of it. They had the option to renew but 2014 did so terrible they passed.

If it doesn’t work pre-recorded in 2020 would they try again and make it live in 2021? Probably would be too late though. And if it does have disastrous ratings in 2020 like some of 7’s shows did in 2019 like “The Proposal” I don’t think they would want to bring it back the next year. Would be interesting to hear what the contract says.

I'm excited and think that it'll be a good show but it's pretty shady for them to call it Big Brother when it's not really Big Brother. They basically want to launch a brand new reality show but with the bonus of having the BB brand name value going into it to help with ratings.

The other thing I didn't touch on earlier was this:

“So those are discussions we will be having with Endemol Shine in coming weeks.”

I wonder to what extent ESA can veto ridiculous notions like pre-recording the show?

“So those are discussions we will be having with Endemol Shine in coming weeks.”

I wonder to what extent ESA can veto ridiculous notions like pre-recording the show?

They probably could, but money talks better than logic.

the more probable answer to this is that ESA probably pitched then this idea before they signed up

If it is like the USA version, there is no need for live shows. Prerecord it early in the year and show it to us after the Olympics.

I am just trying to work out the purpose of a host if it is pre-recorded months in advance. A voice over to narrate I can understand but not a host.

For the prerecorded eviction shows I presume.
I haven't watched the us version - is that what they do?

Its going to feel weird having them evicted and come out and be interview by a host to no fanfare or audience, no feedback on whether anyone enjoyed their time in the house, or behaviour. The host/production is going to have to make some big presumptions on what will have been talked about/been controversial about that persons time in the house when it is aired to ask when they come out too.

Back