Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020: Housemates

I guess it's going to be hard to criticize housemates for their strategy considering what we've learnt so far it seems to be a really weird hybrid between recent seasons of big brother Australia and big brother USA/survivor stuff.

Last edited:
Well seems giving people the chance to be mature and move on didn't work, so given them a little holiday instead.

For the record Blackbox is similarly defensive on MediaSpy so I've no reason to suspect it isn't the same person.

Anyhow, moving on... can anyone just summarise the housemates confirmed by Seven so far.

I guess it's going to be hard to criticize housemates for their strategy considering what we've learnt so far it seems to be a really weird hybrid between recent seasons of big brother Australia and big brother USA/survivor stuff.
Will be interesting to see if the housemates tweet along which might give us a bit more insight. I think Seven abandoned any idea of pretending this wasn't pre-recording as soon as they saw they could jump on the Coronavirus bandwagon.

Kieran the famous Youtuber
Zoe the Insta famous mummy blogger
Daniel the Insta famous ex AFL player
Mat who was previously on Think Tank
Marisa an ex 80's TV star
Sophie an ex olympic level athlete who had her career cut short by injury
Chad an Insta famous model

And then we also know of Mum of two Angela and a guy named Ian from WA.

This literally could be a budget celeb BB... I'm kind of annoyed at how safe Channel 7 have appeared to have cast this series thus far with people who already have a bit of a following and garner interest from thousands on social media for one reason or another. I understand things have changed from 2001 when you could throw every day people into a house as social media influencers didn't exist, however, I think in the age of today when so many reality shows are so contrived with Insta famous and social media influencers appearing on all types of shows, having a show that cast every day, average people could actually be really refreshing and compelling vision. That doesn't mean you can't have any influencers on the show either. You could still have 2-3 as they represent society as well but it'd also be great to just have random people thrown in there with no media background whatsoever.

average people could actually be really refreshing and compelling vision

Perhaps... (just a theory) everyone is much smarter about reality TV in general now and average people simply don't apply.

...average people simply don't apply.
Anecdotal evidence from late last year (remember then?) seems to say that ordinary people were applying - but there is a strong suggestion that 7 have gone for the marketing savvy applicants instead.

@insider06 has nailed it. (albeit sadly).

I would also suggest that fame-whores are rife within this cast - so far.

Ain't fame wonderful.

I think generally speaking too the people who want to be on TV are the people who'll push themselves on social media anyway.

I'm currently watching BBUK 2018 and really enjoying it - great group of HMs with interesting and diverse stories to bring to the table. While not perfect and there can babe improvements, I think it shows how BB can be adapted to 2020. Not sure why 7 couldn't go down a similar route. Perhaps it again comes down to playing it safe. But this is BB, it shouldn't be played safe.

Big Brother US always seems to have a 'popular gang' and it annoys me. So i'm happy that I don't think we'll be seeing that cause the housemates for the most part seem mature.
Australian BB has seen similar. Nathan/Alex/Sahra/Jess/Marty in season 2...the boys club of season 5...Emma and her cronies in season 7...Ben/Stacy/Michael/etc in their season...Tim's little cool group in his season...

Moving on - any housemates actually caught anyones attention and you wanting to watch the show to see them on screen? They've all been pretty cookie cutter for me so far.
The vibe I'm getting is the general public are being put off with each new reveal. I've heard the word "boring" thrown around far too many times in relation to the promos we've seen so far, so I'm not sure 7 are doing themselves many favours tbh.

Also. Hello, wonderful people! 👋 It's been a minute.

What is concerning me about Kieren is that the promo was all about the bad driving. If that's the extent of what he's bringing to the house... Why is he there?

Give me the bogans with massive personalities, the crazy 'Karen' Soccer mum who hates everything, the annoying Vegan that complains about veganism and drives everyone mad!

Still team Angela by a mile.

Big Brother US always seems to have a 'popular gang' and it annoys me. So i'm happy that I don't think we'll be seeing that cause the housemates for the most part seem mature.
The beauty of the US format though is that it only takes one person outside of that group to win HoH and the balance of power can shift, certainly for the week, potentially for the season. More often than not it's the smaller alliances that sneak through to the end.

My curious, inner nerd escaped while comparing housemate announcements on BBAU’s facebook page (25,600 followers) and then Instagram (16,200 followers). Then ended up in a facebook- Instagram-Excel rabbit hole…. without analytics.

Based on total video views for FB and IG, then FB likes (first two posts only, even though Chad, Sophie and Kieran had three), at 1.5 weeks before launch a ROUGH pseudo-popularity tracker on social media goes like this:

Video Views / FB Likes
1 Daniel / 1 Mat
2 Mat / 2 Kieran
3 Marissa / 3 Daniel
4 Sophie / 4 Zoe
5 Zoe / 5 Sophie
6 Kieran / 6 Marissa
7 Angela / 7 Angela
8 Chad / 8 Chad

It's obviously a biassed snapshot with time lag and reflecting the effects of different variables, but still the Angela and Chad effect is interesting. No surprises about AFL footballer Daniel and Kieran... catching up. So far to me, the cast feels a bit 'I wish I was a celebrity, don't get me out of here'...
1590547560317.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it me or has interest dropped after an initial surge ?

I feel like 7's promo have not done anything to increase excitement. The feel of the promos and the fonts they have been using give off the idea of an adult trying too hard to be cool. I miss Ten's epic promos for Big Brother.

Back