Skip to main content

Ben Mum and Nan (Communicating with outside ??)

I think I might have been duped earlier. Because I saw Ben as cute and genuine at the start, but the more I read from others here may convince me he is a little more of a staged persona than first appears.

He has acted in a few scenes in the house, changing his voice etc and his nominations were most interesting. He didn't stumble over them and picked someone who had clearly helped him eariler.

I remember a BB HM from a few years back Johnny, who was all the HM's friends they all liked him, but showed to us viewers how calculating and back stabbing he was when in the diary room doing his noms, and was voted out the moment he was nominated. Ben, if he is playing that strategy, is doing it very well, but if he isn't we will see it come through when the pressure comes on him. I would like to see how he handles being in the half house, when the time comes. I hope Ben is genuine, because I hate being fooled like that.
I saw him as cute and funny at the start I hope it is fair dinkum.

hm, reading what youve all said, it now reminds me of an old friend of mine from high school who had (from what i was told) some sort of multiple personality issue. Easliy and quickly changing moods and personas including voice and actions, and at times just seemed to be flustered, and often trying to be center of attention, and just generally had little quirks. always trying to be friends and popular and get off on a good foot, but can simultaneously absolutely hate someone behind their back. and if its anything similar, i think we'll see a very different side of ben as he gets more comfortable in the house.

I really have my doubts about how genuine Ben is. Tonight, when Jade was getting her bday message from her dad, quite a few of the other HMs were looking quite emotional and dewy-eyed. Cut to Ben - stony faced, practically rolling his eyes. Perhaps he's not the soft-hearted sweetie-pie he appears to be.

Don't know what show you were watching but I've replayed that part twice and Ben has tears in his eyes. Far from "rolling his eyes".

It's just a ploy so that he can establish that he's a good guy, that his motives are genuine and to endear himself to the (ever diminishing) audience.

But a ploy it is; which means that maybe he's not such a good guy, his motives are suspect and I, for one, find it nauseating. I'd much prefer to see actual interaction with a flesh-and-blood human, rather than monologues to photos and fake interviews with BB.

I agree with every single thing you've said here!!

If I was in the house and feeling lonely and needed to talk to my mum, I would do it in my head, looking at her picture. For sure I wouldn't do it out loud. I feel uncomfortable when he does that, he is 30 yrs. That is not cute. I have seen him behaving like a normal person so he is capable. I believe that is his strategy.

Agree with this

Don't know what show you were watching but I've replayed that part twice and Ben has tears in his eyes. Far from "rolling his eyes".

I didn't see eye-rolling either - but I also didn't notice tears (maybe because of his glasses). I thought he looked pretty neutral, actually

I find Ben entertaining to watch most of the time but I'll admit I do think he's putting on an act especially when it comes to Mum and Nan. The fact that he's 30 and lived independently for so long makes me think he's nowhere near as insecure and uncomfortable as he wants us to believe. Even if like [MENTION=26296]*Nat*[/MENTION] suggested above and he lives a few doors down from the family you'd think if we was so dependent on his Mum and Nan he would have moved back in seeing as he's "unemployed".

Ben isn't insecure & uncomfortable as he makes out to be.

His former job was working as a air steward.

You have to have a personality to do that job, you wouldn't get a job in the airline industry if you were shy etc.

Ben isn't insecure & uncomfortable as he makes out to be.

His former job was working as a air steward.

You have to have a personality to do that job, you wouldn't get a job in the airline industry if you were shy etc.

Are you sure? I thought Caleb was an air steward. Where did you read that?

Are you sure? I thought Caleb was an air steward. Where did you read that?

I forgot where I read it, but he mentioned it the other day, I think when he was applying for the jog with BB.

Will see if I can find the link.

I think he worked for Virgin Australia.

Edit: I can't find the website.

Last edited:
I forgot where I read it, but he mentioned it the other day, I think when he was applying for the jog with BB.

Will see if I can find the link.

I think he worked for Virgin Australia.

I do remember this vaguely, but I'm not sure if I'm mixing in Jasmin who currently works for Virgin?

Yeah he did say he used to be a flight attendant. Plus there's a page for him on Facebook with heaps of his old colleagues talking about him

Yeah he did say he used to be a flight attendant. Plus there's a page for him on Facebook with heaps of his old colleagues talking about him
Why doesn't he still do it? Has anyone said? Not like the airline went bust or anything so he either resigned or was fired.

I wonder if he had pics of his Mum and Nan in his wallet and pulled it out to talk to them the whole time he was working. "Hi Mum. Hi Nana. It's time to start serving dinner. I hope your proud of me!"

Last edited:

See where I said *practically*? I only watched it once because I hardly think it's a show worth replaying, but he looked decidedly unmoved compared to a few of the other HMs. To be true and consistent to the character he's establishing, you'd think he'd show a little more emotion.

What gets me is this discussion over Ben being "fake" all the housemates are manipulating and acting to a certain degree. I doubt Ben is being much different to his usual self.

Why doesn't he still do it? Has anyone said? Not like the airline went bust or anything so he either resigned or was fired.

I wonder if he had pics of his Mum and Nan in his wallet and pulled it out to talk to them the whole time he was working. "Hi Mum. Hi Nana. It's time to start serving dinner. I hope your proud of me!"

That is good, lol :)

My vote is that he was probably discretely "let go."

Picture it: here you are on a hot, stuffy crowded plane and God forbid you have the misfortune of being seated next to one of the posters on this board who would be undoubtedly verbally abusing you the whole time for the millimeter of your flesh that is on their part of the seat.

Suddenly you hear this lovely female voice ask if you need anything. You turn to say, "No thank you, miss." and there stands Ben! So you inadvertently blurt out, "OH GOD! PEANUT!!" and he hands you a bag of them, giggles and walks away.

Would you want to fly with that airline again? I think not! ;)

it is one big act
do you really believe this guy is for real?
and the way BB want him to go to the end is sickening
he gets so much more airtime,tasks ect is so unfair compared to the other hm's

Back