Skip to main content

Ben Mum and Nan (Communicating with outside ??)

in jades case, she KNEW that it'd be broadcast on tv, so therefore that becomes "making contact with the outside world"
ben, as others has said, is talking to photos, and has no guarantee that itd be broadcast, either way, we only saw him telling them about things already broadcast, and his feelings, (correct me if im wrong) no different if he was actually talking to another HM really...

get what i mean?

Completely - almost exactly what I said :rolleyes: ;)

oh hahaha very true! :eek:

mines just a little longer! ;)

in jades case, she KNEW that it'd be broadcast on tv, so therefore that becomes "making contact with the outside world"
ben, as others has said, is talking to photos, and has no guarantee that itd be broadcast, either way, we only saw him telling them about things already broadcast, and his feelings, (correct me if im wrong) no different if he was actually talking to another HM really...

get what i mean?

Like I said, pretty clever guy.

im a little doubtful if hes actually consciously playing the game though...
do you think its all an act, or just not quite being himself to stay likable?

Is this not the same "making contact with the outside world" no one else is getting on air diary to home time.

I think the difference is that Jade tried it on "live" TV while Ben said it in relative privacy and it was up to the editors to show it or not.

I think the difference is that Jade tried it on "live" TV while Ben said it in relative privacy and it was up to the editors to show it or not.
Ben did it on 'live tv' as well, the difference is it's 'cute' for Ben to do it but somehow Jade ends up looking bad if she does the same thing.
Lot of mysogyny on here this year.

I was talking about this just last night to my other half.
I think maybe Ben and his mother & grandmother have come to an agreement with the producers of big brother for them to see that he is doing ok. He's got such a strong connection to them and they probably really really wanted him in there this year that the agreement was made otherwise Granny wouldn't have let him go. Maybe?

Um, while Ben is certainly unique, from what we've seen he's far from coddled and under the thumb. He has mentioned the fact that he's lived alone for 11 years and has had a number of occupations...

Ben did it on 'live tv' as well, the difference is it's 'cute' for Ben to do it but somehow Jade ends up looking bad if she does the same thing.

Bwahahaha, misogyny? Sounds like someone has a victim complex. Stop trying to look for things that aren't there.

when did he do it on live tv?
and I don't know where you're getting mysogyny from....

The Commandments according to Big Brother are:
• No contact with the outside world

I dunno on the channel 9 website under house rules the first one is clear no contact with the outside world to me addressing people on the outside world and talking to a photo is making contact...This is looking into it deeper but he could have made codes with people on the outside and made this a a gimmick... Either way I said it before and i'll say it again you don't see other housemate saying hi and telling stories to their brothers, parents, cousins and the other housemates all have photos as well...still seems a gimmick that his are all nicely framed and now on his work desk...

I dont think it's about that though, I think it's about the fact that he clearly doesn't feel like he can really connect with or open up to anyone else in the house, and that's why he resorts to "talking" to his mum and nan, they give him some comfort in a house he feels 100% uncomfortable and out of place in.
nobody else does it because they're capable of talking to others, and we know he's on the special scale.

he's not actively trying to get a message across to them, and that's the difference.

This is looking into it deeper but he could have made codes with people on the outside

True. I remember a male housemate way back when (first or 2nd series) who had a 'code' with his girlfriend on the outside that whenever he stroked his hair he was saying 'I love you' and that he missed her.

Um, while Ben is certainly unique, from what we've seen he's far from coddled and under the thumb. He has mentioned the fact that he's lived alone for 11 years and has had a number of occupations...

I forgot he lived alone but you still can live alone and have family live 2 doors down or maybe just around the corner.
who knows. Im just saying why are they always showing him talking to their photos?

I dont think it's about that though, I think it's about the fact that he clearly doesn't feel like he can really connect with or open up to anyone else in the house, and that's why he resorts to "talking" to his mum and nan, they give him some comfort in a house he feels 100% uncomfortable and out of place in.
nobody else does it because they're capable of talking to others, and we know he's on the special scale.

he's not actively trying to get a message across to them, and that's the difference.

I'm inclined to look at it this way as well.

If I was in the house and feeling lonely and needed to talk to my mum, I would do it in my head, looking at her picture. For sure I wouldn't do it out loud. I feel uncomfortable when he does that, he is 30 yrs. That is not cute. I have seen him behaving like a normal person so he is capable. I believe that is his strategy.

I'm fairly sure that Ben is just acting when he talks to the photos as he's well aware it will give him some airtime and win a lot of viewers over. I don't think we are seeing the real ben at all.

I really have my doubts about how genuine Ben is. Tonight, when Jade was getting her bday message from her dad, quite a few of the other HMs were looking quite emotional and dewy-eyed. Cut to Ben - stony faced, practically rolling his eyes. Perhaps he's not the soft-hearted sweetie-pie he appears to be.

Honestly I think what Jade did at noms and Ben talking to a photo are two completely different things.
Jade did hers knowing full well that it would be aired, it was directly addressed to her friend.
Ben is just talking to a photo. He's recounting stuff that has already happened anyway, and he does it in his own time. It's like the same content as his personal diary except it's not "Dear diary" it's "Dear Nanna". It can't be proven that he knows it will be aired. Who knows, other housemates may do similar things. If he did it during nominations or a live cross-over with Sonia, that would be completely different.
What Jade did was so unbelievably stupid.

I've come to the conclusion that the Ben we're seeing is a created persona. He is very adept at shifting to other personas when prompted by Hms and does them very well.
Not too many Mummy's Boys move out of house and live alone at 21.

I just haven't figured out whether it's a persona of his own creation to get him further in the game and maybe win- or if it's a collaboration with BB and may be the Twist to end All Twists.

I'm convinced Ben's persona is contrived. The chat to the photos achieves airtime, getting his viewpoint across to viewers and the cutesie vote. He could say the same things to other HMs but that would be viewed as gossip. He could do it in the Diary Room, but that would be seen as being strategic. Talking to the photos is a more neutral space in which to play the game, and play it hard.

Jade was simply wishing her friend 'Happy birthday'. She knew it was against the rules, but did it because, hey, she's on national television! Happy birthday! She had nothing to gain but kudos from her friend and a rebuke from BB.

What Ben does is far more calculated, in my opinion.

Back