Skip to main content

BBUSA: Over the Top - online series on CBS All Access

Brekkie

Staff member
CBS have confirmed the rumours of an extra series of Big Brother USA airing following the conclusion of this series, with it being exclusive to it's on-demand platform CBS All Access, which currently hosts the live feeds. Julie Chen will remain as host.

Big Brother USA has traditionally been a summer show for CBS but did air one in-season Winter edition back in 2008 during the writers strike.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_brothe...g-brother-coming-to-cbs-all-access-this-fall/

I want to check this out but CBS All Access is not available for Canadians... That said I wonder if Slice or another one of Corus's specialty networks will pick this up... I'm not sold on the fact that Grodner & Co are producing this series but I'm interested to see how they follow through with "re-imagining" the format... I also understand that Robyn Kass's commitments to BBCAN mean she is not able to take part in the casting of this new series, so I'm also curious to see what effect that might have on the series... However I hear that for the most part she really only facilitates the process and almost all of the final decision making is down to the network...

Who've selected pretty much the same cast every year.

IMO the common denominator has been Robyn Kass... The executives at CBS have changed over the years yet the same typical archetypes have been cast... Robyn and her team are gate keepers and while the executives have the final say Robyn and her team are the ones filling the pool with candidates...

I went to an open call for the first series of BBCAN and a good friend of mine went to others for series two and three... It was very obvious that the casting team was using a very specific formula to narrow the field of candidates... I find it interesting that CBS has two other long time reality shows that seem to make very different and distinct casting choices yet all three shows would share the same CBS executive teams...

Andy Dehnart at RealityBlurred has quoted CBS Interactive Marc DeBevoise as stating "we will explore ways to reimagine this format...". We may not see a complete departure from the traditional CBS broadcast version however that quote is at least some indication that those pulling the strings behind the scenes are at least open to the idea the the "digital edition" should be different...

What bothers me is the fact that you have to pay for it. It seems I'm not the only one, as a lot of Facebook fans are complaining about the same thing.

One possible compromise is Pop. That's where you see After Dark. Why not have the new season of BB there?

What bothers me is the fact that you have to pay for it. It seems I'm not the only one, as a lot of Facebook fans are complaining about the same thing.

One possible compromise is Pop. That's where you see After Dark. Why not have the new season of BB there?

The point is CBS needs to attract subscribers to their steaming service... "Compromising" would defeat the purpose of that... BB already had a massive online following and with live feeds already being extremely popular on the service it only makes sense... I'd be happy to draw you a picture if you're still struggling to wrap your head around this very simple concept... Also at $5/month and they have an app on pretty much every streaming box available as well as all of CBS's back catalog it's a very reasonable price point by comparison... Maybe mommy and daddy will lend you their credit card if your a good boy...

Maybe mommy and daddy will lend you their credit card if your a good boy...

Not without a steady income. Then, they'd want me to get my own. And for your information, they're not going to subscribe. Mom's going to prove she doesn't have to be addicted to it.

I'll just have to wait for episodes to show up on Dailymotion or YouTube. That's how I watched BB Canada.

Wouldn't be surprised if "reimagining" the format is as little as just releasing the episodes as shorter more regular clips rather than three traditional episodes a week.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3410422/bi...dentity-of-the-vet-players-and-premiere-date/

The prize is going down to a quarter of a million (same amount as the Aussie version). "The game will last anywhere from 60-80 days and will undergo some minor changes to the format. Big Brother revealed they plan to give the viewers more control than ever before. Apparently, the producers plan to add more challenges for the contestants, and want to give more opportunity to have a power shift. " Hmmm.... are they experimenting with some international BB rules?

So you want to bring 24-hour strategy talk to Australia. Is this with or without the tasks that have made BBAU the challenge it is today?

So you want to bring 24-hour strategy talk to Australia. Is this with or without the tasks that have made BBAU the challenge it is today?

I want to create a hybrid version of the two formats so obviously strategy is going to be a part of that... As for the second question I honestly have no idea what you're asking...

‘Big Brother’ on CBS All Access: Everything we know
CBS confirmed in early August that “Big Brother” will be airing a fall edition in 2016 that will air exclusively on CBS All Access.

Now, after speaking with the show’s executive producers and two CBS executives, Zap2it has some info for the “Big Brother” fans wondering just what this new season will look like.

julie-chen-big-brother-18.jpg

Julie Chen’s involvement
Chen already tweeted that she would be involved in “Big Brother” on All Access, though CBS Interactive president Marc DeBevoise tells us Chen’s role will be a little different than TV viewers are used to.

“The show’s a little different, so the role isn’t exactly the same,” says DeBevoise. “But she will have her lead role in the show … she’s going to be the main person.”

Will there be past houseguests involved in some way?
DeBevoise says they’ve considered having past houseguests involved the way that former contestant Jeff Schroeder currently does interviews for the live feeds, while executive producer Rich Meehan says that they haven’t decided if they will have past players actually inside the house as contestants.

“We’re in the thick of re-imagining [the show], so we haven’t gotten to the point of ‘should we bring back people yet?'” says Meehan, as his co-executive producer Allison Grodner adds, “It could happen, you never know … [but] there’s some legends that maybe you save for summer ‘Big Brother’ in the future, seeing as we just got picked up for two more [seasons].”

What does 're-imagining' mean?
"They're working on what the format is going to be, so it's not going to be exactly how summer is, it's going to be the digital edition," says CBS president Glenn Gellar.

When pressed for details, Grodner says, "It's interesting because it's going to be such a different -- it's still 'Big Brother' but it's live -- the competitions won't be as big and all of that that we do because that's just the way it's going to play out. Competitions can possibly play out longer, people will be able to see everything, it won't be blocked."

Will there be packaged episodes?
"We're working on trying to come up with something so the All Access people that watch the feeds, they can do what they love, but if you're a broadcast watcher, there will be things for you to watch as well, so we're still trying to crack what that is, but we want to be able to appeal to the full audience," says Meehan. "We want to create times and schedules so if people just want to pop on for a key event, they can do that."

"You have to have some catch up [for people who don't watch the feeds]," Grodner explains. "[But] the feeds are now primary. It's a whole new way of looking at it. We're really looking forward to it 'cause it really isn't being done anywhere. It's a bold experiment by CBS and it's the perfect show to do it with."

The feeds will be spiced up
"I think that with a lot of the feeds now, there's a lot of long blocks [when they're down] for our competitions, you see a lot of people asleep -- there will be a reason for people to be awake, how about that?" teases Grodner.

DeBevoise adds that the show will be "without the restrictions of broadcast television to make it a little bit more interesting."

http://zap2it.com/2016/08/big-brother-on-cbs-all-access-everything-we-know/

My hope for years has been that they schedule episodes more in line with key events in the house, so hopefully they bother doing that this time.

if i was american i would definitely subscribe to watch this, interested in seeing how hard itll be to watch from overseas :/

I think they are missing a trick by not having this as a celebrity big brother.
more people would subscribe to that and it would probably generate more headlines.
after all that is the land of celebrities, they can easily find 10-12 desperado's to enter.
Im think the Brandi glanville types..

I really don't think that is what appeals to the American audience though - and the Big Brother audience especially who despite the expected supply of casting agency wannabees usually root for the "real" Americans who they identify with.

Big Brother’s online-only version has a title, air date, lower prize, more
big-brother-over-the-top-logo.jpg

by Andy Dehnart 1 Sep. 2016 | 4:46 pm

Big Brother‘s CBS All Access fall season now has a name and a debut date: Big Brother: Over The Top will debut on Sept. 28, just one week after the Sept. 21 conclusion of BB18.

It will also have a lower prize, $250,000, and apparently no returnees, as CBS has promised an “all-new cast.”

What does the subtitle mean? “Over the top,” or OTT, is a Hollywood industry phrase that refers to entertainment content that comes via the Internet, not via broadcast signal or a cable company. Considering how obvious that label is—this show is, after all, being delivered “over the top”—perhaps that subtitle will take on a second meaning and connect to a larger theme.

Starting when I first reported on this season, I referred to it as Big Brother 19, and after the season was first announced, Julie Chen also called it BB19. But since then, CBS renewed the broadcast version for two more seasons, which will be called Big Brother 19 and Big Brother 20.

In a press release, executive producer Allison Grodner said, “We are very excited to embark on this new adventure for Big Brother. With the unique streaming format, not only will viewers get to see everything play out live, including ceremonies and competitions, but the audience will also participate in the show like never before. Each week will offer unprecedented interactive opportunities that will have an immediate impact on the game.”

Details about Big Brother Over the Top

A CBS press release revealed the following details:

• The prize is cut in half, to $250,000.
  • There will be only one episode every week with a live eviction.
  • All competitions and ceremonies will stream live.
  • The season will be 10 weeks long.
  • “Fans will have more opportunities to engage with the Houseguests,” though the show will stick with “24/7 live feeds, chat and impact votes.”
  • There will be “unprecedented interactive opportunities,” according to executive producer Allison Grodner.
Details about all of those opportunities have been deferred to “a later date” once again.

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2016/09/big-brother-over-the-top-air-date-prize/

Last edited:
Back