BBUSA: Over the Top - online series on CBS All Access

Discussion in 'International Big Brother' started by Brekkie, Aug 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Brekkie

Brekkie Well-Known Member Staff Member

CBS have confirmed the rumours of an extra series of Big Brother USA airing following the conclusion of this series, with it being exclusive to it's on-demand platform CBS All Access, which currently hosts the live feeds. Julie Chen will remain as host.

Big Brother USA has traditionally been a summer show for CBS but did air one in-season Winter edition back in 2008 during the writers strike.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_brothe...g-brother-coming-to-cbs-all-access-this-fall/

2. Kingston

Kingston Canadian Royality

I want to check this out but CBS All Access is not available for Canadians... That said I wonder if Slice or another one of Corus's specialty networks will pick this up... I'm not sold on the fact that Grodner & Co are producing this series but I'm interested to see how they follow through with "re-imagining" the format... I also understand that Robyn Kass's commitments to BBCAN mean she is not able to take part in the casting of this new series, so I'm also curious to see what effect that might have on the series... However I hear that for the most part she really only facilitates the process and almost all of the final decision making is down to the network...

3. Brekkie

Who've selected pretty much the same cast every year.

huwman likes this.
  4. Kingston

IMO the common denominator has been Robyn Kass... The executives at CBS have changed over the years yet the same typical archetypes have been cast... Robyn and her team are gate keepers and while the executives have the final say Robyn and her team are the ones filling the pool with candidates...

I went to an open call for the first series of BBCAN and a good friend of mine went to others for series two and three... It was very obvious that the casting team was using a very specific formula to narrow the field of candidates... I find it interesting that CBS has two other long time reality shows that seem to make very different and distinct casting choices yet all three shows would share the same CBS executive teams...

Andy Dehnart at RealityBlurred has quoted CBS Interactive Marc DeBevoise as stating "we will explore ways to reimagine this format...". We may not see a complete departure from the traditional CBS broadcast version however that quote is at least some indication that those pulling the strings behind the scenes are at least open to the idea the the "digital edition" should be different...

5. DigitalCorp

DigitalCorp Always Watching

What bothers me is the fact that you have to pay for it. It seems I'm not the only one, as a lot of Facebook fans are complaining about the same thing.

One possible compromise is Pop. That's where you see After Dark. Why not have the new season of BB there?

6. Kingston

The point is CBS needs to attract subscribers to their steaming service... "Compromising" would defeat the purpose of that... BB already had a massive online following and with live feeds already being extremely popular on the service it only makes sense... I'd be happy to draw you a picture if you're still struggling to wrap your head around this very simple concept... Also at $5/month and they have an app on pretty much every streaming box available as well as all of CBS's back catalog it's a very reasonable price point by comparison... Maybe mommy and daddy will lend you their credit card if your a good boy...

huwman likes this.
  7. DigitalCorp

Not without a steady income. Then, they'd want me to get my own. And for your information, they're not going to subscribe. Mom's going to prove she doesn't have to be addicted to it.

I'll just have to wait for episodes to show up on Dailymotion or YouTube. That's how I watched BB Canada.

8. Brekkie

Wouldn't be surprised if "reimagining" the format is as little as just releasing the episodes as shorter more regular clips rather than three traditional episodes a week.

9. DigitalCorp

http://www.inquisitr.com/3410422/bi...dentity-of-the-vet-players-and-premiere-date/

The prize is going down to a quarter of a million (same amount as the Aussie version). "The game will last anywhere from 60-80 days and will undergo some minor changes to the format. Big Brother revealed they plan to give the viewers more control than ever before. Apparently, the producers plan to add more challenges for the contestants, and want to give more opportunity to have a power shift. " Hmmm.... are they experimenting with some international BB rules?

10. Kingston

NO... Your wet dream is not even remotely close to becoming a reality... It will likely involve more of a BBCAN style makeover...

beardymac likes this.
  11. DigitalCorp

Is that your wet dream, Kingston?

12. Kingston

No... Mine would be to EP a hybrid BBUS format for Australian TV... Perferably on Channel 10...

13. DigitalCorp

So you want to bring 24-hour strategy talk to Australia. Is this with or without the tasks that have made BBAU the challenge it is today?

14. Kingston

I want to create a hybrid version of the two formats so obviously strategy is going to be a part of that... As for the second question I honestly have no idea what you're asking...

15. Kingston

‘Big Brother’ on CBS All Access: Everything we know
    http://zap2it.com/2016/08/big-brother-on-cbs-all-access-everything-we-know/

16. starry

starry Well-Known Member

My hope for years has been that they schedule episodes more in line with key events in the house, so hopefully they bother doing that this time.

17. huwman

huwman Well-Known Member

if i was american i would definitely subscribe to watch this, interested in seeing how hard itll be to watch from overseas :/

18. yaelros

yaelros Active Member

I think they are missing a trick by not having this as a celebrity big brother.
    more people would subscribe to that and it would probably generate more headlines.
    after all that is the land of celebrities, they can easily find 10-12 desperado's to enter.
    Im think the Brandi glanville types..

19. Brekkie

I really don't think that is what appeals to the American audience though - and the Big Brother audience especially who despite the expected supply of casting agency wannabees usually root for the "real" Americans who they identify with.

20. Kingston

Big Brother’s online-only version has a title, air date, lower prize, more
    http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2016/09/big-brother-over-the-top-air-date-prize/

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    huwman, Brekkie and SepiaBird like this.