Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

I suspect if we remembered housemates by their intros rather than their time in the house how we rated former housemates would end up quite different. I think quite a few found out the hard way that being the interesting one amongst their own friendship group doesn't translate to being the interesting one in any group of people.
There was one hm, I can’t remember her name or even how she looked but I know she was an accountant and she sold herself in the intro as one thing but she was utterly boring.

There was one hm, I can’t remember her name or even how she looked but I know she was an accountant and she sold herself in the intro as one thing but she was utterly boring.
You probably mean Elise from BB06

She wasn't as boring as they edited her to be on the episodes, but she struggled to fit in. She might have had more of an impact with a different group of people.

You probably mean Elise from BB06

She wasn't as boring as they edited her to be on the episodes, but she struggled to fit in. She might have had more of an impact with a different group of people.
Yes that’s the one! Funny because 06 big brother had one of the most impact on me, yet I couldn’t place her. In saying that I have never done a rewatch of it so perhaps I may view things differently now.

Some of them loved to talk themselves up (especially the Intruders).

OT... if anyones interested but hadn't noticed I've been working my way through BBUK and posting some thoughts over in the International BB forum, Currently just passed the second eviction of BBUK2 (2001). ;)

I know a few details previously like winners and stuff, but have been doing fairly semi-spoiler free (as much as can be for reality TV that aired 20 plus years ago for these early seasons! Haha) and havent been looking up/reviewing things id seen and heard about way back too much until ive done the season.

And if someone casually mentions something or I see a comment etc thats ok, theres still some finer points unspoiled like task results, when some things happen and such etc that are still entertaining to watch it this method if can help it. Anyways Its only been me and one or two other members atm doing a watch (And BBUK is coming back next year, lets see how far I get before it comes on).

Last edited:
Was watching Vesna’s eviction and the Big Brother 2005 finale for fun.

I just love how much the audience were there for Vesna. They were chanting her name! (On both shows) So iconic. 😁

Vesna will forever be a legendary housemate!
9-BA0-CCCE-4-AF2-4537-B801-C59-CB370-B7-DE.jpg
It was a wild experience, one I will never forget. I just wish I was in a better headspace back then the way I am now

Just finished watching Big Brother 2005 for the first time from start to end. I was getting concerned around the last few weeks of the series not having many housemates left but luckily the final episodes were saved by the chained up task and Vesna's complete hatred of it really kept it entertaining. I found the casting to be interesting in terms of finding and keeping favourites. Whilst I didn't like majority of this cast, they did bring great storylines and dynamics. Vesna and Tim were always my top 2 the whole time they were in the house but then for the rest I found it much harder to really support.
Greg and Mel whilst nice were a bit dull in the entertainment department
Kate was decent till I was turned off by the homophobic bullshit in uncut.
Dean, Glenn, Nelson and Dave were all a bunch of wankers.
Michelle and Gianna were a snooze.
Rita made me want to rip my hair out

I also need to mention how much I was grossed out by Dean's constant picking as his own dirty feet in almost every shot of him. 😅

Comparing this to 2006 which I watched just before this one, I'd say I personally enjoyed 06' better as I really felt like that cast are more memorable and likeable overall. Whilst it didn't have constant drama or conflict like 05' had, the 06' major plot points were much bigger and felt more interesting to watch.

I'm tossing up on watching 2007 or 2008 next so suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Might want to share these things privately not on the open forums.
Sorry. Was just trying to be helpful and didn't realise since it's a public link that can be easily found on YouTube. I do not see an option to edit or delete the post.

On a sidebar, I find it interesting that Endemol Shine Australia has a lot of old episodes registered with YouTube's Content ID system. I think it detects the content by audio and monetizes ads on their behalf. I did not think they cared enough to digitise their old content, let alone monetize it. But either way it seems they allow the content with attribution, at least for now.

I'm tossing up on watching 2007 or 2008 next so suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
2007 has a pretty similar vibe in ways to 2006 as it uses a very similar house layout with a few rearrangements.

2008 is pretty weird at first and a big shake up, In comes Kyle & Jackie O, they flip the nominations/eviction format for the first portion of the season as well as some different house features and stuff. Theres some familiarity with FNL but its definitely very contrasting going in from the previous Ch10 seasons with a changeover of graphics and stuff too.

BB07 was an entertaining series with plenty of drama. It would have been better if certain housemates lasted longer, but there are still a lot of good moments. Like Afflllate mentioned it is similar in many ways to BB06.

BB08 gets heaps of criticism, but I never thought it was that bad overall. Kyle and Jackie O were not suited to the hosting role and the winner was terrible so I think that taints people's opinions. The producers took some risks this series and tried for a more diverse cast, but also had a bunch of gimmicks and special guests. The basics like the housemate interactions and conversations were often compelling though. And the promotional campaign for BB08 was fun.

I've started 07, already up to day 10 and I feel like this seasons conflict and drama has started way earlier than previous seasons. With the whole Kate and Emma bickering, but did get a laugh at Emma taking Kate's threats of punching her in the face as real. Also TJ... completely fruit loop. 07' is the season I haven't watched backed before and remember the least about so it is refreshing to not have pre-existing opinions on housemates like I had with earlier seasons.

And I may be completely on my own with this opinion but watching all these seasons back again makes me realise how much I'm not a fan of Gretel's hosting. Personally it comes across a bit too aggressive or blunt for me. Actually I think Jackie O might be my favourite host we've had in Australia. If it was just her hosting I think it would've been really good!

I've started 07, already up to day 10 and I feel like this seasons conflict and drama has started way earlier than previous seasons. With the whole Kate and Emma bickering, but did get a laugh at Emma taking Kate's threats of punching her in the face as real. Also TJ... completely fruit loop. 07' is the season I haven't watched backed before and remember the least about so it is refreshing to not have pre-existing opinions on housemates like I had with earlier seasons.

And I may be completely on my own with this opinion but watching all these seasons back again makes me realise how much I'm not a fan of Gretel's hosting. Personally it comes across a bit too aggressive or blunt for me. Actually I think Jackie O might be my favourite host we've had in Australia. If it was just her hosting I think it would've been really good!

I love that there’s other people appreciating 07 the same way I do. I think it’s a top 3 season of BBAU. One of my favourites internationally as well. Those early weeks are fantastic. This is one season I really miss watching months later.

As for Gretel I think by 07 she was super warn out. She put in so much effort for the show. Constant interstate travel, script writing and so many live shows in comparison to other hosts. Sometimes she’d have 4 live shows to host in the later weeks of the later series on TEN.

For me BB07 is better than BB05 and BB06, mainly thanks to the casting. A few poor production decisions let it down, but that's pretty standard. And it is quite clear Gretel was done with the show by then.

For me BB07 is better than BB05 and BB06, mainly thanks to the casting. A few poor production decisions let it down, but that's pretty standard. And it is quite clear Gretel was done with the show by then.

I think I do agree. Prior to my rewatch 04 has always been my favourite series, but that was mainly due to nostalgia, At the time of my rewatch I finished thinking 05 was my new favourite, but now that time has passed I think 07 is a strong contender for my favourite. 01 is also up there for me in my top 3. I guess my favourite would depend on how I feel on the day.

If I was to rank them all based on how I feel right now;

1. 2005
2. 2007
3. 2001
4. 2004
5. 2013
6. 2006
7. 2012
8. 2003
9. 2008
10. 2014
11. 2002
BIG GAP
12. 2022
13. 2020
14. 2021

My list could well change tomorrow, or even in the next hour it was to sit and think about it more. 1-3 are largely interchangeable, 4-7 are also places I could swap around depending on how I feel. 03 is only low because of how slow I find the last few weeks, I also feel it just hasn’t aged as well as 2001 has. For me 2002 is hands down the least watchable alone. Regardless of the strong format and consistency, it’s just so boring. I could probably come back to this list in as quick as an hour’s time and change it if I really thought about it more.

If I was to rank them all based on how I feel right now;

1. 2005
2. 2007
3. 2001
4. 2004
5. 2013
6. 2006
7. 2012
8. 2003
9. 2008
10. 2014
11. 2002
BIG GAP
12. 2022
13. 2020
14. 2021
Have you seen Celeb BB (2002) and/or BB VIP (2021)? I'm curious as to what you think of these compared to the civilian versions if even you think they can be compared?

Have you seen Celeb BB (2002) and/or BB VIP (2021)? I'm curious as to what you think of these compared to the civilian versions if even you think they can be compared?
I watched BBVIP, haven't seen Celeb BB 2002 in full. I definitely plan on watching it one day, just don't have the time or care to do so right now. BBVIP ranks low obviously by default, but it's the second best series from 7 IMO. I would imagine Celeb BB would rank towards the bottom, as I don't see anything other than a regular civilian series overtaking 2003 on my list.

Kate being evicted first seems wrong cause she WAS the entertainment of the first two weeks! Add her to my list of the iconic queens who were kicked out too soon.
Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 10.55.17 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-06 at 10.56.32 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-06 at 10.56.55 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-06 at 10.58.59 pm.png

Back