Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

Up to Day 60 I think.

Anita was so bloody annoying with the whole smirk argument. I found her entirely unlikable in 2001 and can confirm same now. She wanted to leave the whole time. What a waste of a HM (or be it, intruder).

Then Gemma having a sook because she'd broken the nomination-discussion rules three times and disagreed with her punishment. Boo bloody hoo.

Meanwhile they have those crying baby dolls. As also seen on House From Hell in 1998, also on Ten. Hmm.

Seems to be losing steam as the number of HMs starts to dwindle.

She wanted to leave the whole time.
I remember reading somewhere that was because she was a smoker and didn't chew the nicotine gum in the house - and the producers were completely clueless in regards to what was her mood because they were under the impression she was chewing it. Or am I thinking of Rachel? idk. They both kinda sucked.

Looking back the Intruder Eviction episode was interesting because they didn't use Gretel for it at all. They had Johnny playing the role of host while he was still in the house. 😂 As became standard practice in later series, they would shove Gretel into anything they could.

Last edited:
Up to Day 60 I think.

Anita was so bloody annoying with the whole smirk argument. I found her entirely unlikable in 2001 and can confirm same now. She wanted to leave the whole time. What a waste of a HM (or be it, intruder).

Then Gemma having a sook because she'd broken the nomination-discussion rules three times and disagreed with her punishment. Boo bloody hoo.

Meanwhile they have those crying baby dolls. As also seen on House From Hell in 1998, also on Ten. Hmm.

Seems to be losing steam as the number of HMs starts to dwindle.

I agree she was a waste, both intruders seemed happy to leave which annoys me. I did enjoy the argument though, Johnnie handled it well but I fucking hate Blair’s smart ass smirk, I completely get why Anita was annoyed at that.

In regards to Jemma I found that to be very image focused. She had obviously seen what happened to nasty Nick from the UK as she mentions him in her eviction interview, she was clearly very concerned with how the audience perceived it. Sometimes you just have to own that you broke a rule and leave it as it is and cop it on the chin.

*paragraphs just for you ;)*

I remember reading somewhere that was because she was a smoker and didn't chew the nicotine gum in the house - and the producers were completely clueless in regards to what was her mood because they were under the impression she was chewing it.

Or am I thinking of Rachel? idk. They both kinda sucked.
Gretel mentioned gum at one point, and you could see Anita chewing a lot. I remember them also having nicotine patches, but that might have been during later seasons.

Sometimes you just have to own that you broke a rule and leave it as it is and cop it on the chin.
Yeah. We didn't get to see any of the latter DR session, with her trying to negotiate the HMs' offer of losing luxury items. I suspect because "big" BB told her to suck it up.

Yeah the 'Teacher's Office' aspect of BB in the Diary Room is something that's been completely removed from the current iteration, which is a shame because it did allow for some really great moments in the early series, even without the period when they tried to overdo the marketing for 'ooh BB is really nasty and mean this year!'.

Like the other day when I uploaded that article about the BB03 Ben/Chrissie 'Fight', I rewatched the tail end of that episode and you could feel the tension when BB was dishing out a Strike to Belinda for verbalising thoughts of not wanting to be in the same room as Ben for risk of physical harm and hitting him if she got upset. I'm sure as well its coming up for you Zcsund1234 if not already that BB started not taking lame ass nominations and really grilling them to nominate 'properly' and it was kinda uncomfortable to watch.

And this was years before the whole 'Mike Fines' (LOL Ashalea) and Punishment Room antics of the latter Ten and Nine Series. It makes you wonder in Seven era if any Housemates did anything strike worthy would it even be shown or would we ever know, just get the Robot voice being all chummy and jokey with them.

I think one of the closest we got to BB having a seriously borderline stern discussion was when Sophie failed the secret mission with Chad and was arguing the point with BB and had that massive sook about it afterwards.

Last edited:
I'm sure as well its coming up for you Zcsund1234 if not already that BB started not taking lame ass nominations and really grilling them to nominate 'properly' and it was kinda uncomfortable to watch.
Yes in BB2 Big Brother routinely roasts them for their reasons. The most common complaint he has is when they either say "Turkan really wants to go this week" or "I haven't spoken to them as much as others". He will tell them "why are you concerned with her feelings of wanting to leave" "whose fault is it that you haven't spoken" "that sounds like it has to do with you not them". Telling them next week their nominations won't be accepted if they nominate like that again and telling them it is no surprise you're nominating, really guilting them lmao.

Particularly one bit that made me laugh out loud where she and Keiran (or Nathan?) were miming with each other's arms, about a toilet
I just watched this scene and it is hilariously funny. Jess and Marty take a vow of silence so Kieran and Nathan speak whilst Jessica would mime what they say. It was her saying "I love the toilet and doing wee and poo". It was really funny I laughed pretty hard for what I expected. Theres also a funny scene of Nathan trying to get Marty to speak. The day 41 Daily show is probably the best of the series. side note, this cast SUCKS at the weekly tasks and repeatedly bet 100%.

I just watched this scene and it is hilariously funny. Jess and Marty take a vow of silence so Kieran and Nathan speak whilst Jessica would mime what they say. It was her saying "I love the toilet and doing wee and poo". It was really funny I laughed pretty hard for what I expected. Theres also a funny scene of Nathan trying to get Marty to speak. The day 41 Daily show is probably the best of the series. side note, this cast SUCKS at the weekly tasks and repeatedly bet 100%.
I think at one point they flat out had a strike/protest over doing the task at all, I think it was led by Nathan iirc.

If you mean in terms of housemates? Yes I’d agree. Ben wasn’t completely boring in BB1. And I will also admit after watching channel 7’s version I have glorified channel ten’s editing of their Daily shows and airtime distribution. When I’m reality it’s isn’t amazing. Shannon, Sahra, Alex and even marty apart from Jess hardly get shown at all. Mirabai is more prominent than I recall. Pete’s also been a decently shown person due to the turkan storyline. But this is by no means amazing airtime distribution. Shannon was evicted without getting much content at all.
I did mean series rather than characters but it probably is true for both in some ways, often as the quieter characters are the older HMs who you don't appreciate as your 20 year younger self.

Agree too it is easy to have rose tinted spectacles on how the show was put together but from all the rewatching I've done I've never felt the series as it is produced in later years was a better product than the more raw, but polished, feel of early series. Of course back then even if someone wasn't getting much airtime in the daily show you could still get a sense of who they were from the live feeds anyway. The two things in combination is very much what makes Big Brother work - lose one of them, especially the live feed, and it just isn't Big Brtoher anymore.

I did mean series rather than characters but it probably is true for both in some ways, often as the quieter characters are the older HMs who you don't appreciate as your 20 year younger self.
This is fairly true to a degree. When I was a teenager I was much focused on the funnier housemates and also just in general which ever guy was the cutest. Opinions will change with each watch any person does, I disliked Blair a lot this time around and found more respect for Ben. In general I enjoyed BB1 in my twenties more than I did when I was 14. And also being told about Sara-Marie since childhood to then watching her when I am virtually the same age she was is a very different understanding. BB2 has been rather uneventful to me all three times I've watched now. I am curious to see how I will feel about the FNL era of the TEN series almost a decade on. Maybe I will learn to appreciate the older series more than I did once I get to them.

Last edited:
Yes in BB2 Big Brother routinely roasts them for their reasons
And yet because of the live format, they had no choice but to accept Jess's bullshit nominations one week when she hadn't prepared anything and had no idea who to nominate until she randomly blurted out "two points to Alex for making the pumpkin mash - it wasn't that nice. And one point to Turkan for pinching me on the bum". 😂

I think it is something producers would exploit rather than bury actually - I doubt they'd be able to risk it if a complaint had been made, even for a pre-recorded show.

Of course the difference is with a live show you don't find out about an ejection until usually the day before the live show. With a pre-recorded show they would promote it for days, if not weeks, as the "SHOCKING ALLEGATION THAT LEADS TO ONE HOUSEMATE BEING EJECTED!".

Day 50 Nominations show features Carmel Hill's first appearance being interviewed by Gretel. Discussion of the bedroom wars going on between purple room occupants Mirabai, Marty and Jessica vs Orange roommates Keiran, Nathan, Alex, Sahra and Peter and how the latter are "excluding" the other members from late night conversations. This is where I really began to dislike the trio of Sahra, Alex and Nathan. Nathan told Marty he can't get upset about it as it's the same as them being excluded from his conversations and jokes with Jessica. Which I largely disagree with, theres a difference between two people getting along better than others in the house and then one group of people purposely intending to exclude another group from an activity. Turkan leaving changed the house A LOT. also quickly adding Peter is BEYOND BORING.

Discussion of the bedroom wars going on between purple room occupants Mirabai, Marty and Jessica vs Orange roommates Keiran, Nathan, Alex, Sahra and Peter and how the latter are "excluding" the other members from late night conversations.
Was this where Nathan and someone else (was it Alex?) started trying to speak in code? I remember something about they were referring to other housemates as fast food outlets like one was 'maccas' etc or something along those lines.

Was this where Nathan and someone else (was it Alex?) started trying to speak in code? I remember something about they were referring to other housemates as fast food outlets like one was 'maccas' etc or something along those lines.
Yes that was it. I think Jessica or Miarbai was invited in and they were referred to as "Subway eat fresh". The following week was where Nathan pioneered the idea of failing the ask in order to cause mayhem for the final week. I would guess that is what got him evicted that week. Now that I'm up to the double I expect to lose all interest now without Nathan.

Back