Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

Apropos of nothing this from BBAU8 on Wikipedia made me lol.

Rima, ofc, departed with a broken leg.

View attachment 57482

EDIT: This just caused me to wonder what happened to her and there's an interview with her from earlier this month. I haven't listed to it yet but I will.

Rima is an underrated housemate and it's a real shame her time in the house was cut short. She was smart and funny and ready to talk about various topics with her own informed views about everything. I don't remember exactly what was shown on the episodes but on the live feeds she certainly elevated the conversations.

Gretel had a lot of critics back in the day. I think it's easy to forget that because her presence is clearly missed by fans now especially considering the huge disappointments her successors turned out to be.

She definitely showed bias in some of her interviews and took control of interviews/situations. But in retrospect I think it made for a much more interesting show than if she had been more of a passive host.
I definitely enjoy it. It makes for way better viewing and grabs my attention way more than Sonia saying "well done we love you". Gretel tends to be biased against the blokey type boys but eh, in the great scheme of the show it doesn't really ruin it for me, it's funny at times but I'd had to be on the receiving end of it lmao.

Rima is an underrated housemate and it's a real shame her time in the house was cut short. She was smart and funny and ready to talk about various topics with her own informed views about everything. I don't remember exactly what was shown on the episodes but on the live feeds she certainly elevated the conversations.
That bit in bold was unintentionally funny. I don't remember anything from the streams that year, but that challenge seemed poorly thought through. What a shame for her experience to end that way.

Last edited:
The only thing I remember of Rima is her coming back as a guest in week 10 and something about tricking the housemates to think one of them is a mole.

Last edited:
Gretel had a lot of critics back in the day. I think it's easy to forget that because her presence is clearly missed by fans now especially considering the huge disappointments her successors turned out to be.

She definitely showed bias in some of her interviews and took control of interviews/situations. But in retrospect I think it made for a much more interesting show than if she had been more of a passive host.
I agree. You didn‘t have to agree with Gretel either for it to be made interesting by her approach. She was witty. And had opinions. That is always going to be more interesting than not.

I agree. You didn‘t have to agree with Gretel either for it to be made interesting by her approach. She was witty. And had opinions. That is always going to be more interesting than not.
I liked her in S1 when she was enjoying herself and was fun & flirty lol.

So today I got up to the S1 live games episode where Gretel went in to give away $100k. She said it was a world Big Brother first for a host to go into a house. Can I get a fact check on that?
Might have been in terms of going in earlier in the season to host an event but Davina certainly went into the BBUK house in 2000 to interview the winner.

Re: 2003. The two house twist is for me still one of the best twists Big Brother has ever done internationally and nowhere really ever replicated it in the way Australia had two houses merging into one. Many have done the rich/poor concept but most versions who attempted some sort of two house start just had all the housemates ultimately move into one house and shut the other one down.

I get that the content may seem boring now in comparison to the concept but for me that is why the twist worked so well - it was such a massive twist but essentially allowed the show to continue relatively twist free. It was also executed superbly compared to later twists which often were rushed to a conclusion or just poorly managed.

Might have been in terms of going in earlier in the season to host an event but Davina certainly went into the BBUK house in 2000 to interview the winner.

Re: 2003. The two house twist is for me still one of the best twists Big Brother has ever done internationally and nowhere really ever replicated it in the way Australia had two houses merging into one. Many have done the rich/poor concept but most versions who attempted some sort of two house start just had all the housemates ultimately move into one house and shut the other one down.

I get that the content may seem boring now in comparison to the concept but for me that is why the twist worked so well - it was such a massive twist but essentially allowed the show to continue relatively twist free. It was also executed superbly compared to later twists which often were rushed to a conclusion or just poorly managed.
OK that world first is probably allowable if the UK one had technically concluded.

Absolutely agree they nailed the two-house season. Even the two houses realising there was another didn't undermine the full extent and reveal. Peter Abbott certainly left on a high.

Peter Abbott certainly left on a high.
Yes he did. Peter Abbott's contributions to Big Brother are missed. He was willing to push the boundaries creatively and also seemed to have a grasp on the more nuanced psychological elements.

With that said, Peter Abbott is not the only talented producer in Australia. How some of the subsequent executive producers were chosen for the job is beyond me.

Claire's eviction was interesting to watch. Firstly she takes painfully long to walk down the eviction plank to meet Gretel (at around 32:00 minutes but she ended up being quicker than I thought as it only took 2 minutes) and yet again Gretel was asking leading questions and ends up with answers she doesn't like. She is no where near as biased to Claire as she was to Ben but still you could tell she didn't actually believe Claire's answers.

It must have been the standard at the time as Julie also went in to the house to announce the winner of BB1.

Claire's eviction was interesting to watch. Firstly she takes painfully long to walk down the eviction plank to meet Gretel (at around 32:00 minutes but she ended up being quicker than I thought as it only took 2 minutes) and yet again Gretel was asking leading questions and ends up with answers she doesn't like. She is no where near as biased to Claire as she was to Ben but still you could tell she didn't actually believe Claire's answers.

I wonder what Gretel did to her gay to be dressed like that. Her outfit has her looking quite butch.

Rima was awesome, I wish she had been able to stay longer. There were already naked photos of her circulating online as well, would she have angled for a zoo shoot too I wonder.

The devolution of Gretel is interesting to watch. Definitely by 2005 she had a mild contempt for aspects of the series and some of the HMs, but she still brought warmth and humour to it. No way could her predecessors find that balance.

This just caused me to wonder what happened to her and there's an interview with her from earlier this month. I haven't listened to it yet but I will.

OK so 26 minutes in Rima says:

[Being in the Big Brother house] was unnatural and quite unpleasant, actually. [I was] surrounded by very unintelligent people.

Well, it was S8, so yeah that's actually fair.

As an aside, I'd renamed the file "Rima.mp3" so I could find it easily and dumped it into a shared music folder. When I played it on my TV, the next track caught my attention. And I absolutely swear this was not a setup:

1639960248330.png

I was aware of the Queensland accent but wasn’t aware of the SA or Perth accents. Although I did live with a girl from SA and never noticed a difference.
you clearly didn't ask her to pronounce "chance"
or should I say "chuhhhhhnce" ;)

Back