Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

On accent variety as well I remember Ed from 2013 had a particular way of saying 'Girl' that was an South Australian thing a little bit too or something.

There are a lot of poms in Perth.

According to the 2016 Census:

The most common ancestries in Greater Perth (Greater Capital City Statistical Areas) were English 27.5%, Australian 20.9%, Irish 6.8%, Scottish 6.4% and Italian 4.0%.

In Greater Perth (Greater Capital City Statistical Areas), 57.3% of people were born in Australia. The most common countries of birth were England 8.6%, New Zealand 3.2%, India 2.4%, South Africa 1.8% and Malaysia 1.5%.

Compared to Sydney: 19.4% and 3.1% respectively.
I don’t necessarily pick up on the English influence if there is any. I mean perceived pronunciation isn’t a common English accent so I doubt it has much local influence on his accent.

Last edited:
Dean Geyer has a South African accent still and he's been all over the place, Here on Australian Idol (in his audition he said he had been here for 5 years at age 20 (2006)); then he was in the US after being on Neighbours and acted in movies and was on Glee.

Found this interview at a Charity event looks like it was from 2018, can still clearly hear the South African background in his accent:

He has moments where I can hear how his accent has changed having spent a lot of time in the US.

I don’t necessarily pick up on the English influence if there is any. I mean perceived pronunciation isn’t a common English accent so I doubt it has much local influence on his accent.
Point is, there are regional variations in Australian accents just as there are in other countries. The accent is harsher in Queensland (think: Steve Irwin) and (bear with me, huge generalisations follow here) less pronounced in NSW/Vic, more refined/posh sounding in SA and maybe Perth too.

Point is, there are regional variations in Australian accents just as there are in other countries. The accent is harsher in Queensland (think: Steve Irwin) and (bear with me, huge generalisations follow here) less pronounced in NSW/Vic, more refined/posh sounding in SA and maybe Perth too.
yeah definitely also with some words or terms for things (think Potato Cakes/Scallops and stuff). It's all very interesting Ive seen some foreign you tubers do the whole 'Reacting to slang' style videos where The British ones will compare how there's regional differences in accent/slang in the UK (and some quite easily noticeable/discernable differences), but across a far closer distance than across Australia whilst still speaking 'English'.

In fact when you think about it, with the regional vicinity of Europe there's so many differences in the language itself, like English, Spanish, Greek, Italian, Swedish, Russian, etc. Little bit of a tangent, but its fascinating, haha.

Back to BB, Reggie has a bit of an interesting one being Tasmanian.

Last edited:
I was aware of the Queensland accent but wasn’t aware of the SA or Perth accents. Although I did live with a girl from SA and never noticed a difference.

I’ve been watching the odd episode from 2006 and John comments that Karen has “held up pretty well”. It’s such an odd series to watch right now as I’m in the same age group as the younger HM’s that year who are now of similar to what Karen was in that series. John’s comment did make me feel a bit old even though mid to late 30’s really isn’t that old.

Yes that totally spun me out watching 06. And next year Krystal will be the same age as Karen was in that season.

Yes that totally spun me out watching 06. And next year Krystal will be the same age as Karen was in that season.
It’s crazy how life gets away from you once you get to be a certain age. Mentally I’m still somewhere in my 20’s and it’s not until something slaps me in the face that I realize I’m not as young as I think.

It’s crazy how life gets away from you once you get to be a certain age. Mentally I’m still somewhere in my 20’s and it’s not until something slaps me in the face that I realize I’m not as young as I think.

Yep I feel that. Makes me wonder if even as an elderly person I will still feel stuck in my youth.

Yep I feel that. Makes me wonder if even as an elderly person I will still feel stuck in my youth.
I have no doubt that’s going to be the case for me… I’m a single gay boy with little prospects of settling down. My Peter Pan complex has become milder in recent years but probably won’t go away entirely.

I have no doubt that’s going to be the case for me… I’m a single gay boy with little prospects of settling down. My Peter Pan complex has become milder in recent years but probably won’t go away entirely.

Definitely don’t grow up if you can avoid it.

The live feeds of Belinda's confession is uploaded on the channel that uploads the episodes. It's uncomfortable to listen to, I have only ever read about it and how the website's forums were stopped. I'm curious to know what was said here or if anyone has any recollection of watching it play out.

God, just glancing at the 2006 launch show someone posted a couple of days back. I'd forgotten how annoying Gretel had become by then.

A reminder too that even back then there was a bit of blatant producer manipulation going on with producers pre-selecting three of the 15 housemates for the Insider vote.

The live feeds of Belinda's confession is uploaded on the channel that uploads the episodes. It's uncomfortable to listen to, I have only ever read about it and how the website's forums were stopped. I'm curious to know what was said here or if anyone has any recollection of watching it play out.
I think Gretel had a piece before Uncut or Uplate or something about how the edit of it couldn't be shown in Queensland because of the age of the parties involved. Isn't this about the beginnings of where Belinda starts to become more alienated from the others (particularly Carlo had issues with her from the discussion between him and Saxon I watched from Day 19 the other night).

She latches onto Reggie when they swap HM's between houses, and then somewhere along the line Ben just decides to be a sh!tstirrer out of boredom or something and That's when Belinda completely goes off the rails and ends up walking only for Ben to be Evicted that week anyway. They seemed amicable during the housemate swap.

I think Gretel had a piece before Uncut or Uplate or something about how the edit of it couldn't be shown in Queensland because of the age of the parties involved. Isn't this about the beginnings of where Belinda starts to become more alienated from the others (particularly Carlo had issues with her from the discussion between him and Saxon I watched from Day 19 the other night).

She latches onto Reggie when they swap HM's between houses, and then somewhere along the line Ben just decides to be a sh!tstirrer out of boredom or something and That's when Belinda completely goes off the rails and ends up walking only for Ben to be Evicted that week anyway. They seemed amicable during the housemate swap.
Yeah thats whats been happening at the point I'm up to. It is clear Belinda is not getting along with the people in the square house particularly Carlo. Just watched Carlo bathe in the washing sink and had a play with the brush on his penis. I remember when I met Reggie she was telling me about him doing it and how disgusting he really was. The cast range here is quite varied with a lot of them being in their late twenties as well as 5 of them being 21 or under. The age differences show particularly with Leah, you can really tell it's hard for both her and the others. Saxon is more annoying than I remember. I find him to be quite pretentious and up himself.

Back