Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

Yeah Peter had to be the most boring winner ever. Did he get cast entirely for his sad story? Very possible. Deserving of the money but it’s not a charity so a deserving winner should be someone more enjoyable to watch. Bad winner from a bad cast from a bad season. But I have enjoyed your insights!

I remember a couple of them started doing some more after BB work, That nominations show I watched a bit of (for the Double Eviction) they had Todd (2001) doing some random interview with Human Nature lol. I recall Turkan had a weekly column for a while in the Sunday Telegraph's Body + Soul mini magazine section, Nathan and Shannon also hosted an edited clip show on Foxtel of the Japanese (?) game show Takeshi's Castle (we later saw that type of obstacle course format show as Wipeout/Ninja Warrior et al).

Did you know before Big Brother Jessica also appeared in the very early 'group audition' episodes of season 2 or 3 of The Mole Australia, which aired in Q1 of 2001 or 2002. She got cut when they picked the final 10 contestants or something to do the actual show iirc.

Speaking of, I liked that set they had for the Nominations show, like Gretel was just randomly presenting the show from this swanky little bar or something, when actually, I'm pretty sure back in the day I worked out that was one of the little areas backstage just behind the main eviction stage. Tbf, imo the later Nomination shows where they used the actual eviction stage but brought the audience closer and more 'intimate' gave off a similar feel too than the big spectacle of the crowd in the Eviction show too.

I think in some of the early special shows in the first week of BB2003 that looked like they were outside in daylight on the outer rim of the ampitheatre, having guests on in pre recorded (? - must've been if it was daylight?) segments featuring Marty & Jess, Peter Abbott, and Carmel Hill etc.

Last edited:

12:30 housemates are making clay replicas and Leah says she feels like she is touching cow shit and Reggie pipes up and goes "I fell in cow shit before" I am in hysterics

I remember I was on holidays during Vincents eviction and didn't tape it for some reason.

I used to do the VHS timer thing from time to time in those days just before DVD-R and Hard Drive recorders started becoming a thing - in 2005 I went on a two week holiday to Tasmania that was kinda my Schoolies.

It covered about 3 eliminations on Idol (from Final 4 to Final 2 iirc) and I almost successfully avoided all spoilers (we were doing stuff and catching up with family friends at their place so watching the regular TV shows we watched wasn't too high on the list of activities) except who the final 2 were on my return and I caught up with the recordings over the afternoon to then watch the Grand Finale show the next night or something.

Anyways I don't think I've really gone back to properly rewatch that week's daily shows or Vincent's eviction. I went on another week or so holiday nearer the finale (think I returned in time to watch Daniel be evicted) but I think I managed to catch up on some of that, not sure.

I recall Vincent having a full on Panic attack near the start. with some of the Tension in the Square house Iirc didn't Carmel try and pin it down on the design of the Square vs. Round House and the personalities in each having the Square HM's on edge a bit more?? (i.e. Square house had a lot more 'colder' or 'bland' colours or something and sharp edged design features (maybe like the psychological effects of the White Room in a way) compared to the Round House?

Last edited:
Just did a google search - apparently Vincent's panic attack was on Day 19.

I watched bits of the Day 8 'Party's Over' Show featuring Jess and Marty - that's right they were around the ampitheatre in what looked like prerecorded bits in broad daylight - They were reconstructing the ampitheatre set so there was like wooden scaffolding and cherry picker bits in the background - maybe that's why also the Launch show was done at that weird location outside (the only time they ever did a Launch other than the Amphitheatre or directly outside the house iirc).

that was quite the episode (Day 20 Daily Show) Reggie has an infected hair follicle, then later thinks she might be pregnant, Carlo rolls his ankle, and Vincent has trouble breathing from a random panic attack. The Nurse/Doctor gets a good workout, all this just before their Skipping task, which both Houses pass. The House Swapees eviction also happens live which leads into The Insider on the Friday Night that week.

Where are they now on Tim Ferguson somebody, I remember he had a show something about 'Don't Forget Your Toothbrush' what in the late 90's?

I didn’t watch the insider or really any companion shows when I initially watched the TEN seasons. Watched the insider for the first time and it seems like a poor version of BBUK’s BOTS. I do like seeing former housemates on it as well as some channel 10 personalities that are still on screen today. SO MUCH GRETEL THIS SEASON I LOVE IT. Seriously she did the launch and then a live show each day of the first week and then the Sunday live show, nominations, uncut and then insider again and the first eviction. We literally saw more of Gretel in the first 2 weeks of BB3 than we would of Sonia in a full CH9 series.

I’ve been watching the odd episode from 2006 and John comments that Karen has “held up pretty well”. It’s such an odd series to watch right now as I’m in the same age group as the younger HM’s that year who are now of similar to what Karen was in that series. John’s comment did make me feel a bit old even though mid to late 30’s really isn’t that old.

I’m also curious about Jamie’s accent… I can spot an Aussie accent a mile away but his is slightly different. He almost sounds South African (which to me sounds like an Australian/Kiwi mix) at times.

I’m also curious about Jamie’s accent… I can spot an Aussie accent a mile away but his is slightly different. He almost sounds South African (which to me sounds like an Australian/Kiwi mix) at times.
Which is interesting, because of the '06 housemates, I'm pretty sure it was Camilla that was born in South Africa.

I feel West Australians seem to have one of two accents - the heavily broad, ocker-y accent that you'd assume of a stereotypical Aussie (both Ashley and Katie had this), or the cultivated West Australian accent which sounds a bit more British/South African (which is what Jamie had). Jamie lived in Claremont at the time of his season, which is a very wealthy part of Perth. In comparison, I'm pretty sure Katie and Ash were from the Mandurah/Rockingham area, which are a bit less so.

My partner is from WA, and she seems to fluctuate between the two depending on what she's saying ('shut up' sounds more like 'shart ahp'; but 'meal' sounds like 'me-ull').

There are a lot of poms in Perth.

According to the 2016 Census:

The most common ancestries in Greater Perth (Greater Capital City Statistical Areas) were English 27.5%, Australian 20.9%, Irish 6.8%, Scottish 6.4% and Italian 4.0%.

In Greater Perth (Greater Capital City Statistical Areas), 57.3% of people were born in Australia. The most common countries of birth were England 8.6%, New Zealand 3.2%, India 2.4%, South Africa 1.8% and Malaysia 1.5%.

Compared to Sydney: 19.4% and 3.1% respectively.

Last edited:
Which is interesting, because of the '06 housemates, I'm pretty sure it was Camilla that was born in South Africa.

I feel West Australians seem to have one of two accents - the heavily broad, ocker-y accent that you'd assume of a stereotypical Aussie (both Ashley and Katie had this), or the cultivated West Australian accent which sounds a bit more British/South African (which is what Jamie had). Jamie lived in Claremont at the time of his season, which is a very wealthy part of Perth. In comparison, I'm pretty sure Katie and Ash were from the Mandurah/Rockingham area, which are a bit less so.

My partner is from WA, and she seems to fluctuate between the two depending on what she's saying ('shut up' sounds more like 'shart ahp'; but 'meal' sounds like 'me-ull').
I guess I’ve never really encountered the cultivated Australian accent before. It definitely doesn’t have the twang I’m used to hearing.

Dean Geyer has a South African accent still and he's been all over the place, Here on Australian Idol (in his audition he said he had been here for 5 years at age 20 (2006)); then he was in the US after being on Neighbours and acted in movies and was on Glee.

Found this interview at a Charity event looks like it was from 2018, can still clearly hear the South African background in his accent:

Back