Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

Jo Ashton is a funny watch on the Day 47 daily show. At Patrick's birthday celebration there is a whole montage of scenes featuring her flirting with Saxon and then Vincent and then Patrick, telling them all how much she cares for them and that she wants to meet up with them after the show. If I was her partner I'd be extremely uncomfortable and angry watching all of this personally.

If I hadn't heard her say she had a partner I'd guess she was single. But as a character I do enjoy her, she's a nice person and it's funny watching Vincent and Saxon simping hard over her. Saxon's obsession with her is beyond cringeworthy. Having her, Daniel and Reggie all nominated was gonna end crap either way for me as I like all 3 of them. At this point in the series Patrick and Vincent are the most uninteresting.

Yes he did. Peter Abbott's contributions to Big Brother are missed. He was willing to push the boundaries creatively and also seemed to have a grasp on the more nuanced psychological elements.

With that said, Peter Abbott is not the only talented producer in Australia. How some of the subsequent executive producers were chosen for the job is beyond me.
True - and as much as we mock Kris Noble you can't deny he tried. It was often the execution rather than the idea that let down the latter Ten series.

Alex was also very forthcoming in talking about his time producing the Nine version and I think it is no secret the show was micromanaged by the network far more than it should have been. Also have to credit the Nine era with the Superpower twist which probably deserves more credit than it gets - an overarching twist which allowed for small twists each week and a fairly neat change to the format. The bigger Nine twists didn't quite work though - guess of the Secrets, Halfway House and the Pairs only the Halfway House was sustained more than for the initial week or two, and to be fair it was a decent effort at the Rich/Poor divide. I just didn't like everyone in the Halfway House being automatically nominated.

Jo Ashton is a funny watch on the Day 47 daily show. At Patrick's birthday celebration there is a whole montage of scenes featuring her flirting with Saxon and then Vincent and then Patrick, telling them all how much she cares for them and that she wants to meet up with them after the show. If I was her partner I'd be extremely uncomfortable and angry watching all of this personally.

If I hadn't heard her say she had a partner I'd guess she was single. But as a character I do enjoy her, she's a nice person and it's funny watching Vincent and Saxon simping hard over her. Saxon's obsession with her is beyond cringeworthy. Having her, Daniel and Reggie all nominated was gonna end crap either way for me as I like all 3 of them. At this point in the series Patrick and Vincent are the most uninteresting.

Yes I found that episode particularly fascinating, and the fact that she and her long term boyfriend were still together for a bit after the show too. Jo was a really nice person and she was smart so she was definitely multi dimensional, but she just craved that male validation so much and I found it so interesting. She received a lot of hate, and honestly rightly so, but she was actually an awesome housemate. Her behaviour would have been fine if she wasn’t in a relationship, from memory it was like 7 years as well, so not anything close to a new relationship without a clear commitment established.

Yes I found that episode particularly fascinating, and the fact that she and her long term boyfriend were still together for a bit after the show too. Jo was a really nice person and she was smart so she was definitely multi dimensional, but she just craved that male validation so much and I found it so interesting. She received a lot of hate, and honestly rightly so, but she was actually an awesome housemate. Her behaviour would have been fine if she wasn’t in a relationship, from memory it was like 7 years as well, so not anything close to a new relationship without a clear commitment established.
She was still very young and inexperienced. 6 years is a very long time to be dating someone especially at 23. I can imagine how being in her position would be very liberating.

She was still very young and inexperienced. 6 years is a very long time to be dating someone especially at 23. I can imagine how being in her position would be very liberating.
I agree. To be dating someone since your teen years would mean you've missed out on a lot of experience most uni students would enjoy in those years of freedom entering early adulthood. I give her no hate for what she did as like I have said about Jess and Marty or Drew and Tully, I am not them nor do I know how they felt in the position of being in a house with people they feel strongly for. She did what she did and I'd assume she learnt from it as time went on.

Being nominated against Reggie and Dan was a death sentence for anyone of the other five housemates. Vincent, Patrick, Joanne or Saxon would each have been evicted that week, I think Chrissie may have I'm unsure if her popularity peaked anywhere near this point or if it was later on. But regardless I strongly believe whoever was nominated against the other two was not surviving. So Joanne's 86% was probably going to happen anyway?

I can't see the public really wanting Daniel leaving over her with a large margin at all. had she not been nominated that week I could see her lasting longer, but in all fairness she probably just leaves in the double anyway. She left prematurely in my opinion, I could have done with seeing more of her storyline. I'm up to week 8 and I remember watching this the first time and after the double the series seemed to be quite boring with many of the louder people gone and Reggie's win being a massive forgone conclusion that it didn't even matter knowing she won before I watched.

How awesome was Reggie's sister Anita?
Also Tim is a good looking rooster.
Agree on both statements. I met Anita when I helped out with Vesna's fundraiser for Reggie. She was very very friendly, both her and Reggie are hilarious. We drove them to the bottle shop and the way they interacted was very Kath and Kim, they're both really funny together. She was fantastic at supporting Reggie while she was in the house, recording everything on tape and kept it all to this day.

Agree on both statements. I met Anita when I helped out with Vesna's fundraiser for Reggie. She was very very friendly, both her and Reggie are hilarious. We drove them to the bottle shop and the way they interacted was very Kath and Kim, they're both really funny together. She was fantastic at supporting Reggie while she was in the house, recording everything on tape and kept it all to this day.
Love this!!

Unfortunately I read that Tim passed away in 2009.

I give her no hate for what she did as like I have said about Jess and Marty or Drew and Tully, I am not them nor do I know how they felt in the position of being in a house with people they feel strongly for. She did what she did and I'd assume she learnt from it as time went on.
I'll always remember her quote 'These walls amplify your emotions' or something along those lines, how being in the house and having a relationship can be a weird thing because its such a intense and unique situation and environment. I also can understand on the other side of that coin Ed in 2013 being acutely self aware of it and initially being really reluctant to start anything with Jade if she might be led on to it becoming 'serious' while in the house iirc.

I'm up to week 8 and I remember watching this the first time and after the double the series seemed to be quite boring with many of the louder people gone and Reggie's win being a massive forgone conclusion that it didn't even matter knowing she won before I watched.
Also I was thinking 2003 probably a contender for the intruders that stayed on past 2-3 weeks that had the least overall impact on the house dynamics and storylines. I remember Kim being chummy with Reggie (and having that non-PC joke that caused a ruckus on the outside) but Jamie I'm struggling to remember anything on the spot he was a big part of (it's been a while since I've rewatched that part of the season too).

And yeah to your earlier post Kath & Kim had just started in late 2002.

Unfortunately I read that Tim passed away in 2009.
Oh wow that is really sad, he was a very good looking guy and very supportive of Jo.
Also I was thinking 2003 probably a contender for the intruders that stayed on past 2-3 weeks that had the least overall impact on the house dynamics and storylines. I remember Kim being chummy with Reggie (and having that non-PC joke that caused a ruckus on the outside) but Jamie I'm struggling to remember anything on the spot he was a big part of (it's been a while since I've rewatched that part of the season too).

And yeah to your earlier post Kath & Kim had just started in late 2002.
I feel Kim was very bad for Reggie. Week 6-7 seemed to be hard for Reggie as she lost Ben and was struggling. Reggie was really the only one to really make a lot of effort with the intruders but in the great scheme of the season it doesn't ruin her popularity at all. I have tried to look everywhere for what Kim said in regards to the racist comment. I found the Day 41 up late episode but couldn't find anything in it.

Jamie is okay, he's nice and seems easy to get along with, apart from Saxon's persona of "I don't have a problem with gays when secretly I do" there is not a lot he adds. One thing I have wondered as I never got to watch this live, is were the intruders always going to enter? Gretel confirms Kim is a replacement for Belinda and then throws in that Jaime needs to be replaced, by Jamie lol. So had Belinda not walked would that have meant the two intruders enter where only one would get to stay? and the only reason there was no official intruder eviction was because of Belinda walking?

Yes from memory it was actually Jo who ended things with Tim, I seem to recall her saying she regretted it but he had moved on so it wasn’t fair or try and start things up again. So I guess he was totally supportive and understanding of her. I guess we don’t know of any arrangements or understandings they might have had prior to going in nor the the conversations when she left. Very different to someone like Tully where the actions were clearly not acceptable within the relationship. Admittedly Jo’s actions were not loyal at all, her hate wasn’t unjustified per se, but that’s from ab outsiders perspective, plus a reflection of the people who cast that judgement anyway. Were they subconsciously jealous or felt threatened?

But yes terribly sad that he would take his life a few years later. I don’t know the circumstances but a timely reminder that people can have it all on the outside and still suffer immensely.

From 11:30 is one of my favourite scenes from BBAU.

The conversation between Reggie and Chrissie about really enjoying their time in the house and feeling like themselves has always lit a fire in me to want to experience it myself. Could I do BB now that I'm older and thought about it more? Probably, probably not. I hate the idea of being on film and pictures being taken, but I would probably say yes in a heartbeat just for a childhood dream to come true. But hearing Reggie say she doesn't want to go back to her life is really relatable to a degree.

She has always said she went in for a holiday and she was sick of cooking fish and chips, for many people working life can become mundane. You can just see in the way she says this that the experience means a lot to her and that she is serious about not wanting to return to normal life. I feel sorry for her due to all the struggles she faced after the show. I hope BB2022 ends up being just as enjoyable for her.

Last edited:
Very good looking but I saw a lot of sadness in his eyes when Gretel was interviewing him.
That would be very hard to watch as a partner of 6 years. Whilst I don't hate Jo or judge her for what she did it still wasn't morally right. Tim must have felt horrible watching her the way she was with the other boys. The worst part about it all is how often she brought up Tim during it all. It is really hard to honestly try and justify her actions when looking at all the info.

That would be very hard to watch as a partner of 6 years. Whilst I don't hate Jo or judge her for what she did it still wasn't morally right. Tim must have felt horrible watching her the way she was with the other boys. The worst part about it all is how often she brought up Tim during it all. It is really hard to honestly try and justify her actions when looking at all the info.
I think the sadness I saw was a lack of self esteem and confidence. Which was not necessarily a direct result of Jo's actions in the house.

Back