Skip to main content

Episode BBAU 2022 - Episode 8 Discussion (23 May, 7:30pm)

Would you welcome intruders?

• Yes - more OGs please

Votes: 43 60.6%
  • Yes - more newbies as fodder for evictions

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Mixed - both old and new

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • No - just stretch the series out by putting Tim back in everytime he's evicted

Votes: 17 23.9%

• Total voters
I’ve gotten into many arguments with many friends over the editing of contestants on reality tv vs how they actually were positioned to win. Of course we don’t always see the show so my opinion of course may not always be right. But many of my friends were confused as to why Hayley beat George on survivor. Boy oh boy did I go to town.
Yeah. On the complete other end of the argument, in fairness, I even have a problem with the way Reggie is edited too. Anyone can see how overwhelmingly positive her edit has been in order to ensure she wins. Both examples are different but just as bad as each other, in my opinion.

Yeah. On the complete other end of the argument, in fairness, I even have a problem with the way Reggie is edited too. Anyone can see how overwhelmingly positive her edit has been in order to ensure she wins. Both examples are different but just as bad as each other, in my opinion.

Agree with Reggie. I’ve been doing an edgic chart for the series and her edit is overwhelmingly positive where not really necessary. They’re pushing for a Reggie win. But on the other side of the coin, what I’m seeing on this show is also the same person I met 7 years ago. At least they’re pushing for a Reggie win which will at least continue to draw attention to old big brother. It would be nicer although to have Reggie win the same way she won last time. And there is no reason why she couldn’t.

Popping by to say that montage of Johnson devouring the chicken was cringe*.

And that “scramble” was one the messiest, most erratic scenes I’ve seen on this show. He is all talk, no brains, and it’s a travesty if he makes it to the final three like we think.

* Didn’t he say he was vegan?!
Joel is vegan. I don't think Johnson is and he definitely isn't if he ate chicken.

I honestly would much rather see Gabbie or Taras win, based on their edits, so far. And will likely vote for either of them over Reggie.

I honestly would much rather see Gabbie or Taras win, based on their edits, so far. And will likely vote for either of them over Reggie.
Both are good choices. They’re my favourite newbies. I am voting for Reggie when the time inevitably comes. I can’t not. I’m going against what I’m all about, and that’s not doing what the show wants you to do. But for the sake of knowing how hard personally some the struggles Reggie has faced, I have to vote for her. And having her part of the two time winners group would leave me happy.

Both are good choices. They’re my favourite newbies. I am voting for Reggie when the time inevitably comes. I can’t not. I’m going against what I’m all about, and that’s not doing what the show wants you to do. But for the sake of knowing how hard personally some the struggles Reggie has faced, I have to vote for her. And having her part of the two time winners group would leave me happy.
Very valid reasons, too.

I mean, let’s face it, she’s not not winning this season.

I do hope that people don't get complacent and actually do vote for her at the end though...
I hate to say this, but if the last three seasons on Seven are anything to go by… the voting is online and entirely free-of-charge, they also don’t reveal voting percentages and lump the other two finalists as a single “runner-up” (no third or second place).

This means it can, and will, be “rigged” (for lack of a better term) in favour of who they want it to be. And they can get away with it for the aforementioned reasons.

I do hope that people don't get complacent and actually do vote for her at the end though...
I have the same fear. I would hate for Johnson to end up winning.

This is why I hate mixing all stars and newbies. From the edit the newbies get shafted mostly regardless with major favour going towards the returnees. Tim’s visibility is insane in comparison to the others. Reggie’s positivity is the same. It’s why I hate it. And I can’t help but always falling into the trap of rooting for the all stars.

This should have been an all stars from the start with a smaller cast if that was what needed to be in order for the series to be. The three of Paul Vesna and Skye who were all cut would have been great value to the show rather than some of the newbies like Lulu.

Popping by to say that montage of Johnson devouring the chicken was cringe*.

And that “scramble” was one the messiest, most erratic scenes I’ve seen on this show. He is all talk, no brains, and it’s a travesty if he makes it to the final three like we think.

* Didn’t he say he was vegan?!
I though Johnson said he was vegan too.

I though Johnson said he was vegan too.
I only thought of it because I read a ton of social media comments after the scene aired by people criticising him for the same thing.

But perhaps it is Joel we’re confusing him with.

Are you one of the viewers that needs to actually like a housemate to find them entertaining?
I can see why some people like Danny. I’m not saying he doesn’t posses likeable qualities and isn’t entertaining to some degree. It’s just that the complete over exaggeration of how good he is. Calling himself the best player ever in the world and the fans jumping on that.

I can appreciate a housemate’s entertainment quality even if I don’t truly like them. I am not really a fan of Tully but I can appreciate what she brings. Danny for me is simply overblown.

Better television or did he just receive more airtime leading to an audience wide example of the recency bias and exposure bias.
This is similar to how we come to like some songs/music only after repeated exposure. Not sure it works like that when you're exposed to uber-annoying narcissistic middle aged twats on TV, but Seven obviously thinks it does:

One of the major influences on our liking process is the ‘mere exposure effect’, whereby simple exposure is sufficient to enhance liking for an otherwise neutral stimulus even when we cannot explicitly remember hearing the stimulus. Put simply – if we are indifferent to a piece of music when we first hear it then we will like it more the more that we hear it. This relationship then follows a simply bell curve which was described first by William Wundt (1874) and later by Daniel Berlyne (1974). It follows the simple logical and physical principle of ‘what goes up must come down’ – eventually we will hear the piece one too many times (point of saturation or satiety) and we will start to dislike it until eventually it ends up driving us up the wall!

I can see why some people like Danny. I’m not saying he doesn’t posses likeable qualities and isn’t entertaining to some degree. It’s just that the complete over exaggeration of how good he is. Calling himself the best player ever in the world and the fans jumping on that.
That was really his own branding and Channel 7 being dumb though. I don't think anyone on here would seriously call him the best player ever.

I was merely pointing out I don't agree with an overreaction that he was some terrible player.

Drew also isn’t posting a lot to do with big brother on his social media. I was under the impression housemates were encouraged or at least expected to post on social media to promote the show. He is also rarely shown outside of his relationship with Sam and Tully in the edit. And based on our knowledge of him not really being interested in big brother, as well as the 2020 knowledge of housemates being able to tell producers not to air certain stuff, I do wonder if Drew requested to have minimal to do with the show whilst it airs?
I think the only thing he posted was on his Instagram story the night his episode aired that had him back in the house (which I have a feeling channel 7 probably asked every housemate to do). I have a feeling he’s just there for a holiday and doesn’t care how far he gets. After what he did last night he actually feels like a wildcard. Surely he’s not dumb enough to believe that making the deal with Joel wouldn’t backfire straight away. He seems to not care at all lol.

It’s a massive shame if I’m right though. He was such a great character last time in the house (during and without Tully) I have my fingers crossed I’m wrong but I don’t think I am

That was really his own branding and Channel 7 being dumb though. I don't think anyone on here would seriously call him the best player ever.

I was merely pointing out I don't agree with an overreaction that he was some terrible player.
No one here is stupid enough to get roped into it. Several fans on FB and other sites were.

I don't see him as a terrible player. He was at least strategically minded but he thought of himself as better than he is. Throw him into a season without any rigging and he won't win. In the grand scheme of Big Brother he may do well some times, but in the specific game he played there are many faults within the game that people choose to over look. A lot of the time people tend to overlook their favourite's mistakes, which is what a lot of the casual fans did with Danny. And many did with George last year on Survivor.

I think the only thing he posted was on his Instagram story the night his episode aired that had him back in the house (which I have a feeling channel 7 probably asked every housemate to do). I have a feeling he’s just there for a holiday and doesn’t care how far he gets. After what he did last night he actually feels like a wildcard. Surely he’s not dumb enough to believe that making the deal with Joel wouldn’t backfire straight away. He seems to not care at all lol.

It’s a massive shame if I’m right though. He was such a great character last time in the house (during and without Tully) I have my fingers crossed I’m wrong but I don’t think I am
I think you're right. I have always thought Drew was able to see the strategically optimal move in this format. I don't think you can fully blame him also for thinking he's on the bottom of the OGs (although a bit of an incorrect read it seems) and he wanted to build some sort of rapport with Joel in order to have Sam taken care of so he can focus on the game whilst having no blood on his hands. A move that could have worked but it was far too early. But mostly, I think it's clear he doesn't care too much and was there to get the pay-cheque and for it to be done and over with as soon as it could be.

Back