Skip to main content

Episode BBAU 2022 - Episode 24 Discussion (28 June, 7:30pm)

If you had to nominate someone for eviction, what would be your reason? (Give name in the comments)

• Personality / Interactions

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Strategy

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • Flying Under the Radar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I accept that there might have been no intended malice in the jokes. I guess I just don’t think they were actually funny. I think comedy should punch up and not down. Laughing about ethnic names feels like punching down to me.
I wasn't laughing at the names being ethnic, I was laughing at the fact that there are so many...

I accept that there might have been no intended malice in the jokes. I guess I just don’t think they were actually funny. I think comedy should punch up and not down. Laughing about ethnic names feels like punching down to me.
FYI it's essentially this joke - nothing to do with ethnicity at all...

(Unless you consider San Franciscan an ethnicity...)

Does that make it okay? Let’s all laugh at the guy with the ‘different’ name… and if he laughs along that makes it acceptable?

I think we can be better, personally.
Normally i'd agree with that, but if the person it's being said about doesn't have a problem with it and doesn't take offence (& even does a laughing emoji in response) then i'm certainly not going to get offended for them. Thats why i only said that after Taras left the laughing emoji because the convo was straddling a line.

Come on, that’s not true… If someone says something designed to offend, even if the recipient doesn’t take offence, it’s still wrong. It’s like those bullsh*t fake apologies: “I’m so sorry if you’re offended,” putting the onus on the recipient to act “appropriately”. Pfft.
The difference is whether something was designed to offend. If it wasn't, then offence should not be taken.

The difference is whether something was designed to offend. If it wasn't, then offence should not be taken.
I am all for freedom of speech but that is not freedom of consequence. That may include people taking offence, and people responding in an unintended way, or taking what you said in an unintended way. I don't believe it is actually up to the person saying the words to determine how the person hearing/reading them feels or responds.

I think Lightning McQueen has cleared up it wasn’t the ethnicity of the name guys but the length and number of names Taras was given. I think a bit of a misunderstanding here. Wonderful to see people come together and defend racism but it has been misinterpreted because he really didn’t mean it the way it has come across

Normally i'd agree with that, but if the person it's being said about doesn't have a problem with it and doesn't take offence (& even does a laughing emoji in response) then i'm certainly not going to get offended for them. Thats why i only said that after Taras left the laughing emoji because the convo was straddling a line.
I think Taras is ok with anything in this forum as long as he gets the public vote at the end 😅

But why was it even in the fridge in the first place?!
Haha this is very OT but I drink oat milk in coffee.
I am a little bit lactose intolerant (perhaps something to do with an islander heritage?). I can normally deal with it, my symptoms are pretty mild and I find A2 milk to be mostly safe.
However… full cream milk and coffee ALWAYS makes me sick. I don’t like almond milk and soy milk is okay, but I actually don’t mind the taste of oak milk in coffee. Usually that’s the only thing I use it for!

Haha this is very OT but I drink oat milk in coffee.
I am a little bit lactose intolerant (perhaps something to do with an islander heritage?). I can normally deal with it, my symptoms are pretty mild and I find A2 milk to be mostly safe.
However… full cream milk and coffee ALWAYS makes me sick. I don’t like almond milk and soy milk is okay, but I actually don’t mind the taste of oak milk in coffee. Usually that’s the only thing I use it for!
Black coffee FTW.

Back