Skip to main content

Episode BBAU 2022 - Episode 16 Discussion (8 June, 7:30pm)

Which OG will eventually knife Tim?

• Reggie

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • Dave

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Estelle

Votes: 43 55.8%
  • Tully

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Drew

Votes: 4 5.2%

• Total voters
I think Tim’s tweets have been very emotionally charged and not necessarily logical or strategic. He feels he was labelled a bully when Estelle said he used herself and Tully as punching bags, and he is trying to defend himself.

It's that childish behaviour where someone knows they did the wrong thing, but the people noticing or calling it out are the ones to blame. No self-ownership. Deep down they're ashamed but can't own it. It's emotional immaturity and narcissism. He could easily stand up and defend himself and his actions while taking responsibility. Yet he can't and won't admit fault. Can't even see it.

It's like when he was standing up for Drew doing wrong to her by trying to reframe it, through dishonest means, that Estelle was somehow wrong for being aggrieved by Drew's action.

It's a classic bully behaviour where you reserve the right to impose what you want on top of the rights of someone else. Someone else's right to comfort or property is at the whim of the bully, over their own right to it. Not considering others as having equal value or rights to oneself.

Last edited:
I think it’s fair to say male HMs have an advantage, with the challenges over all, but also the age-old way that social dynamics work, favouring “alpha” males whilst smart, strategic or loud women are seen as a threat. Tim is well aware of the eviction patterns of past seasons and the moving parts of the social structure in the house, and he exploits all of that. Props to him for that I guess, he’s not trying to blaze a new trail of gender equality and inclusion, but he’s “playing the game” as they say.

Tim is one of those people who loves to get a reaction, he’ll identify a weakness or sore point in others and he’ll pick away at it until the subject of his persistence cracks. His favourite victims are people who are emotional and reactive, and they’re usually female. The gaslighting comes into play when he then tries to backpeddle and claim he was just trying to be honest, or just trying to help, blah blah (eg. the lolly jar). This is actually low-level abusive, the first little seeds that are sown to make someone doubt themselves, or to socially isolate them by making others doubt them - textbook coersive control - and he does get away with it. He’s exploiting gender bias and inequality by reading the room and deciding what he can get away with, and what he can’t, and then going for it. And Tim is a shrewd operator, so I don’t for a minute think he’s doing it unconsciously, his mind is always on the game. Except he has a huge blindspot in his strategy when it comes to attractive guys. He was trying to persuade the other OGs to save Joel, even though he was a strong adversary. Same goes for Drew.

When I saw Tim’s Amber Heard tweet, I was disgusted by his flippancy. The fact that he thought it was clever or funny or would be well received by his followers reveals his privilege. As a woman, reading in the news every day of other women who have been hurt, or even murdered, in their own homes by men they loved and trusted and invested their lives in, just devastates me. I actually know someone, a lovely, generous person, trapped in an abusive relationship whose life and happiness have been completely ruined by her husband. So no, Amber Heard jokes are completely unacceptable, and it was Tim’s male privilege that made him think it was funny and that other people would think it was okay. And he does get away with it, deleting a tweet isn’t penance.

I must have missed this the first time browsing through the posts. Thanks to @lidor for quoting it, which made me see it.

Yes, as lidor said, this is indeed well put. I too agree.

Wow did not expect this season to bring out this much drama. I don't watch much reality aside from this and survivor, but do we get this kind of stuff happening during mafs and love island, etc?
On MAFS, their social media accounts are taken over by production, from what I recall, until the season has aired.

I’m convinced Tim doesn’t make the finale, otherwise he’d know better than to suddenly flip the switch and behave like this online - in front of the voting audience. If that’s the case, he has nothing to lose by doing this now.

I have always been a fan - and still think he’s a genius and absolutely fantastic at playing this version of Big Brother - but his recent social media remarks have lost me.
I agree. Tim is too savvy to be this outrageous on social media if he expects votes from the public.

Calling Estelle “Australia’s Amber Heard,” after in the recent trial she’s: been proven to be liar even under oath, admitted to physically, mentally and emotionally abusing Johnny Depp, manipulated the American justice system harming actual abuse victims, and, been diagnosed with histrionic personality disorder, is close to unforgivable.

I never thought of Tim as a person who publicly spreads hate. I was wrong about him.

I was wrong about Drew too, seeing how he’s a user, but at least he’s not calling the other housemates names on Twitter.

The fact that Tim is trying to frame himself as the “victim” in this scenario, on the back of his Amber Heard tweet, in an effort to garner sympathy, and that he doesn’t see anything wrong with that rhetoric, just goes to show he has a massive blindspot. Once again, it’s coercive and manipulative, with zero remorse or enlightenment.
I must have misread the tweet, but first I'll add I'm not excusing it, but I thought he was suggesting Estelle is playing the victim and comparing her to Amber? Is the census here that Amber was "playing" the victim or she was a victim and just rolled?....I suspect, as always, the truth is in the middle somewhere, Johnny can be an ass hat but is not a monster and the same can be said of Tim (probably true of all of us!) so back to the show.....Lolligate- was definitely not about the lollies!!! Not for anyone....But Tim's frustration with Estelle being influential with the OG's caused him to speak up when Estelle over dramatised the lollies saga by suggesting Drew somehow knew she would get in trouble and Estelle's frustration with Tim playing his free-for-all game caused her to repeat "It's not about the lollies" but not actually say what it's about.....that might not be entirely true I think you did once but chose when Tim was already talking so it didn't become a thing and Tim didn't choose to pick it up either.....there was multiple occasions during that....conversation...for it to be shut down, Tim can be shut down....a really good skill is being able to keep it logical when inside you want to snap (let me know if any of you get close because I struggle).....The biggest disappointment for me is that it's playing out so meanly now after the siren, although we are watching the replay so I guess it would drag it up again......

It doesn't feel a fun game to watch at the moment nor a fun game to play.....I hope it gets better...

I agree. Tim is too savvy to be this outrageous on social media if he expects votes from the public.

Calling Estelle “Australia’s Amber Heard,” after in the recent trial she’s: been proven to be liar even under oath, admitted to physically, mentally and emotionally abusing Johnny Depp, manipulated the American justice system harming actual abuse victims, and, been diagnosed with histrionic personality disorder, is close to unforgivable.

I never thought of Tim as a person who publicly spreads hate. I was wrong about him.

I was wrong about Drew too, seeing how he’s a user, but at least he’s not calling the other housemates names on Twitter.
That's how I read the Amber comment...
The public tit for tat is not becoming of any of them.....
Drew is either a user or just not able to tell a girl "sorry not interested" ....yeh ok he's a codependent user/loser but not an abuser, he always plays the heart game just unfortunately it is someone else's heart he always plays with!

I must have misread the tweet, but first I'll add I'm not excusing it, but I thought he was suggesting Estelle is playing the victim and comparing her to Amber? Is the census here that Amber was "playing" the victim or she was a victim and just rolled?....I suspect, as always, the truth is in the middle somewhere, Johnny can be an ass hat but is not a monster and the same can be said of Tim (probably true of all of us!) so back to the show.....Lolligate- was definitely not about the lollies!!! Not for anyone....But Tim's frustration with Estelle being influential with the OG's caused him to speak up when Estelle over dramatised the lollies saga by suggesting Drew somehow knew she would get in trouble and Estelle's frustration with Tim playing his free-for-all game caused her to repeat "It's not about the lollies" but not actually say what it's about.....that might not be entirely true I think you did once but chose when Tim was already talking so it didn't become a thing and Tim didn't choose to pick it up either.....there was multiple occasions during that....conversation...for it to be shut down, Tim can be shut down....a really good skill is being able to keep it logical when inside you want to snap (let me know if any of you get close because I struggle).....The biggest disappointment for me is that it's playing out so meanly now after the siren, although we are watching the replay so I guess it would drag it up again......

It doesn't feel a fun game to watch at the moment nor a fun game to play.....I hope it gets better...
I was talking about the other tweet of Tim’s that Estelle posted where he says that he is the ”victim” of Estelle’s accusations of bullying. Considering it was part of the chain reaction of the Amber Heard comment, that was particularly bad. I know that we only see what the producers want us to see and there are nuances to the HMs’ relationships we can’t know or understand, but we see enough of Tim’s conduct on the show, and then the insight from his recent tweets to get a clear enough picture, if not to praise or condemn his entire character, enough to at least have a discussion about it!

I think a huge part of the problem with the Amber Heard comment is that he is implying AH is a liar who’s ruined Johnny Depp’s reputation and drawing a parallel that he’s JD and Estelle is AH. To call up a serious matter of domestic violence within a public Twitter spat is unacceptable behaviour. And speaking of nuances, it’s flat out misogyny to view AH as pure evil and JD as a blameless saint. From what I’ve read, they both seem pretty awful and it was a totally dysfunctional lifestyle and relationship. But there’s a larger issue at play about the influence of this court case in general and the detrimental effect towards victims of domestic abuse (mainly women) and yet more depressing confirmation of how white male privilege impacts all of us. Whose reputation has suffered the most out of AH and JD? So with all of this in mind, Tim’s comments are ignorant, insensitive, and totally lacking insight or remorse.

In addition to that, to reel in Benjamin’s name to the argument, particularly after the pair (Benjamin and Tim) have made it very known over the years that they don’t like each other at all, brings his credibility down even further.

Tim stooped low this week. And the only one who’s getting “cancelled” now is him…

In addition to that, to reel in Benjamin’s name to the argument, particularly after the pair (Benjamin and Tim) have made it very known over the years that they don’t like each other at all, brings his credibility down even further.

Tim stooped low this week. And the only one who’s getting “cancelled” now is him…

The whole Ben Norris thing just seals the deal. Just as you’ve said it’s been made public they don’t get along, but Tim decides to bring him into it for it suit him. Low act.

I know only of one housemate that's in the final for certain and another that I'm pretty sure is in the final.
Well, who do you think?

I'm fearing we've got a setup like Aleisha, Johnson and Tim. Which is the worst three!

Ok I was fine with Tim winning in his series before and wanted him to but not this one. He's kinda like that scottish guy or whatever who so many loved on The Bachelorette and came back for Bachelor in Paradise and just disappointed people. Hmm... or maybe that's Drew this time around. My point is I was huge Tim fan before and just disappointed with his actions, whether it be his outburst on twitter (which has spread to Daily Mail, so dramatic, etc), or just his dishonesty with the OGs, etc. C'mon Tim I was drawn to watching this for the OGs, was so psyched for your reunion with Drew and Tully and you're just letting me down. Maybe things still change and with Drew losing Sam and about to come back to the house, we get some good fun back with those two but I don't know. I still feel he'll be dishonest, and attacking people.

Then there is Aleisha. She'd be the type to have already been evicted if this was public votes to evict. She's coming across as a little bitch.

Johnson.. ah. Don't even need to go there. Supposed superfan, but whatever. If I must I guess Johnson can make it to the end, but sick of Tim and Aleisha.

Rest of the house seems like nice enough people but I have issues with Tim, Aleisha and Johnson (and Drew sortof but I haven't been able to give him enough chance since Sam left).

Last edited:
It's a shame that Tim is damaging his own legacy like this, but it's all his own doing.

He is one of the most strategic and, previously, entertaining Australian reality show contestants, and managed to stay on the right side of likeable (something Ben Norris never could).
But there's a point where real-life behaviour* overrides that, and for me he's passed the point of no return.
I can't enjoy his antics as a mischievous larrikin without seeing something nastier beneath the surface.

* I know we don't 'know' him in real life at all, but the persona you choose to put out there is the one you're going to be judged by.
And interacting with housemates here humanises them immensely to the point where they aren't just characters on tv, and if we have empathy we care about their feelings.

Glad he has been called out for his comments but the trouble with Tim is we know from his BB-stints he thrives off the drama, so even if the heat is directed squarely back at him he still seems to see that as a win.

Like with most people who have a high opinion of their own opinion the best way to deal with them is not to give them the oxygen of publicity.

Back