Skip to main content

Episode BBAU 2021 - Episode 8 Discussion (9 May, 7pm)

Did you spoil your mum today?

• Yes

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters
I'm glad they showed Nick and Danny saying how BB helped the others out and screwed their game plan. Too fucking right!
I’m no fan, and kind of glad Daniel was screwed over, but those comments directed to BB were very deserved. BB getting involved is dangerous.

I’m kind of swaying for some redemption for some of Daniels team. Nick was kind of funny tonight and I think melissa is an incredible competitor. Maybe BB meant for this but since the involvement I can’t help but want Daniels team to survive

Lol Tilly saying she wants to keep the peace yet putting SJ up again was pretty ridiculous. Tillys strategy seems to be presenting herself as a people pleaser both to the housemates and to the audience watching at home. She'll say these cutesy things and nominate people from three different alliances. Unfortunately putting SJ up yet again was foolish for her game plan and I think the audience is savvy enough to be put off by her I don't want a war innocent act.

Bloody hell - the page count here has collapsed. It really is flopping.
Just a reminder that Big Brother starts at 7pm tonight, not 7:30.

Also, an article I found today - apparently the poor ratings of this season of Big Brother are being blamed on a lack of "young, hot singles", again proving that they just don't get it...
It's as if they know they sent some "young hot singles" in and they're due on screen in the next week. As others have said that is far from the problem at all - most people praise the greater diversity in age.

Is there a version of this somewhere they watched too much?
That gave them all this dumb strategy of “safe” votes
That's a good question. In the US they give them a season to watch in sequester and you can always tell the houseguests whose only experience of the show is watching that season and work out which season they watched by what they think is a good strategy.
Well, last year there was only 21 episodes, including the finale. It would be safe to assume this season will follow a similar schedule as there is a similar number of contestants. But given that three additional housemates are about to go in and Seven’s schedule is dropping from 4 to 3 episodes per week (at least for next week), they could stretch it out to the first or second week of June max. But that’s it.

Keeping in mind that we are almost mid May already.
Is Farmer Wants a Wife slated for before or after the Olympics? How many episodes was that last year. That could give an indication of when it will end.

If they have added episodes I suspect it'll only be 2 or 3 - probably 24 episodes. Would be so much better if the eviction cycle was split over 2 episodes as we've discussed many time before - would only need 16 contestants then for 24 episodes, with 10 evictions over the first 20 episodes, then switch to evictions every episode when 6 remain for ep 21-23, leaving 3 for the final. The early shows would be so much better as not only would viewers have more time to get to know the housemates, there are less of them fighting for screentime.

P.S. Was there any point at all to the Attic twist other than them needing a show with nobody being evicted?

Actually majorly spewing about Mitch being sent home, I found him great to watch and such a great guy. He will leave a hole in the house. Getting tired of SJ’s tottering about.

See, this whole dynamic of housemates nominating each other with no audience influence whatsoever is doing little justice to the show. There is zero connection with the contestants and the audience until final 3, when producers have already penned in the final narrative and decided who they want to portray as the winner. You could argue that even with audience involvement throughout the season they could do this, but I would counter that a good production would measure a balanced view of all nominees throughout.

With no audience interaction it is only housemates making difficult decisions and putting themselves in the most awkward positions. It is just so awkward and we lose out on the feels of being a part of this game on an epic scale. Winning a challenge is a kind of curse before alliances form and then it’s just a necessity. Never mind that these challenges are almost all endurance and have the same winners every time. Too many troubles in this format and if they can’t repair it is a goner IMO

The attic was ridiculous, all it achieved was to bring the boring people back into the house! Whoever casted this show needs to change careers - perhaps the CWA

Reactions: kxk
... this just makes me wonder if Aussies are capable at all of playing Big Brother strategically. I think implementing the power of veto is paramount for this show to succeed in future.

It is interesting to read these forums. Plenty of people on here have good thoughts on nominations, reasons, votes, plans and strategies. As we watch each episode of the show, it is easy to see the good and bad plays, and work out what should have or should not have been done. That is because we can see the bigger picture, we are shown both sides and what they are doing/planning (or both alliances if you want to put it that way). Therefore it is easy for us as outsiders (viewers) looking at it from the comfort of our homes, and with forums full of people to discuss it with.

However, in the house, it is a whole different game. You are essentially alone, albeit maybe with one or two close friends/allies. No forums there to ask lots of people for their opinions. And the pressure cooker it is. Players who have been in the house often talk about having a plan before going in, and thinking they will be good at strategy. But, once inside they say the pressure is intense and your thinking can go to crap.

I have often wondered what it must be like. I reckon I have a pretty good handle on playing it and how it should be done. But, if the pressure in there is what they say it is then I'd reckon all my plans and thoughts would go straight out the window pretty quickly and I would look like a typical idiot in there with no clue. 🙂

It is interesting to read these forums. Plenty of people on here have good thoughts on nominations, reasons, votes, plans and strategies. As we watch each episode of the show, it is easy to see the good and bad plays, and work out what should have or should not have been done. That is because we can see the bigger picture, we are shown both sides and what they are doing/planning (or both alliances if you want to put it that way). Therefore it is easy for us as outsiders (viewers) looking at it from the comfort of our homes, and with forums full of people to discuss it with.

However, in the house, it is a whole different game. You are essentially alone, albeit maybe with one or two close friends/allies. No forums there to ask lots of people for their opinions. And the pressure cooker it is. Players who have been in the house often talk about having a plan before going in, and thinking they will be good at strategy, but once inside they say the pressure is intense and your thinking can go to crap.

I have often wondered what it must be like. I reckon I have a pretty good handle on playing it and how it should be done. But, if the pressure in there is what they say it is then I'd reckon all my plans and thoughts would go straight out the window pretty quickly and I would look like a typical idiot in there with no clue. 🙂

And they only get a few minutes if they win a challenge, which are physical so that leaves a fair portion of housemates out of contention, to implement some kind of strategy in terms of nominations.

I was watching the circle on Netflix, hence not watching this live 😬. I forgot about it as the circle was totally addictive! I think you might like the show too
Haha I binged season one and two of the circle the last two weeks !!

However, in the house, it is a whole different game. You are essentially alone, albeit maybe with one or two close friends/allies. No forums there to ask lots of people for their opinions. And the pressure cooker it is. Players who have been in the house often talk about having a plan before going in, and thinking they will be good at strategy. But, once inside they say the pressure is intense and your thinking can go to crap.

You bring up some very valid points. I do agree. However I think also with the people they are casting, barely any of them have seen Big Brother before and I would believe very few of them have bothered to check out the US or Canadian adaptions to do some homework.

However, in the house, it is a whole different game. You are essentially alone, albeit maybe with one or two close friends/allies. No forums there to ask lots of people for their opinions. And the pressure cooker it is. Players who have been in the house often talk about having a plan before going in, and thinking they will be good at strategy, but once inside they say the pressure is intense and your thinking can go to crap.

They all have a reason for being on the show and it certainly is not just the prize money. To get anything out of it you need to be interesting and worth watching or at least funny. I can’t watch them cooking vegan and meditating, I avoid Those kind of people irl. Ffs they have a chance, they need to do something, without Danny I would have stopped watching day 1. I’m just barely hanging in there.

Reactions: kxk
And they only get a few minutes if they win a challenge, which are physical so that leaves a fair portion of housemates out of contention, to implement some kind of strategy in terms of nominations.

Ah yes, this too. Very true.

You bring up some very valid points. I do agree. However I think also with the people they are casting, barely any of them have seen Big Brother before and I would believe very few of them have bothered to check out the US or Canadian adaptions to do some homework.

Ha. Yep. I have often wondered if any of them have watched the show before. Many participants certainly come across as though they've not watched it before. An example from this season is hearing them talk about having no food and being on staples. Many of their comments seem to indicate they were not aware that would happen.

Ah yes, this too. Very true.

Ha. Yep. I have often wondered if any of them have watched the show before. Many participants certainly come across as though they've not watched it before. An example from this season is hearing them talk about having no food and being on staples. Many of their comments seem to indicate they were not aware that would happen.

At best some of the younger ones would have seen the channel 9 version as children/teenagers. However I'm willing to bet no more than 5 have watched an episode of the US edition.

They all have a reason for being on the show and it certainly is not just the prize money. To get anything out of it you need to be interesting and worth watching or at least funny. I can’t watch them cooking vegan and meditating, I avoid Those kind of people irl. Ffs they have a chance, they need to do something, without Danny I would have stopped watching day 1. I’m just barely hanging in there.

Yeah, I think Danny is actually a good player. He also seems nice, deep down. That time when he encouraged Tilly in the cave to hang in there and fight, when she had been nominated, being an example. And a few tears on tonight's episode over his kids, and his book, etc. His harsh exterior, and personality traits don't do him any favours, but he is interesting to watch. A real shame his game plan was smashed by external interfering forces. I feel for him.

At best some of the younger ones would have seen the channel 9 version as children/teenagers. However I'm willing to bet no more than 5 have watched an episode of the US edition.

Hmm, I had not thought of that. Yeah, based purely on age, the younger ones prolly haven't seen the early (Aus) seasons ... unless they made an effort to seek them out and research them.

And to further highlight your point, whilst I have seen every Aus season, I have personally never watched a US one. So in a similar vain, there's every chance that the current HMs haven't either.

Hmm, I had not thought of that. Yeah, based purely on age, the younger ones prolly haven't seen the early (Aus) seasons ... unless they made an effort to seek them out and research them.

And to further highlight your point, whilst I have seen every Aus season, I have personally never watched a US one. So in a similar vain, there's every chance that the current HMs haven't either.

I have only recently watched the US seasons, reasons mixing between wanting to understand the new format more and also I saw some people who were on the 2020 All Stars season which intrigued me to watch from the beginning. Honestly the Australian gameplay does not even compare. Obviously there are differences between the two; AUS has no veto, more physical comps, you can win a challenge as many times in a row as you can, you nominate 3 housemates in the early stage rather than 2, theres no jury vote and the audience decides so there is no way of telling who really is the genuine threat to win. But honestly in these 2 seasons so far on 7 I am yet to see anyone display any deep level of strategic ability.

Is Farmer Wants a Wife slated for before or after the Olympics? How many episodes was that last year. That could give an indication of when it will end.

No idea where you got the idea that Farmer Wants a Wife is next up. Farmer Wants a Wife is slated AFTER The Voice. The Voice is slated for after Big Brother. I thought by the image that The Voice would start prior to the Olympics but the graphic has the Olympics beginning in H1 which is also wrong.

Back