Skip to main content

Episode BBAU 2020 - Episode 18 Discussion (15 July)

Who do you WANT to win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We might be getting into cultural differences now. Australia is the land of "she'll be right mate". Our humour is self-deprecating but that is really a mask for us disliking true criticism or going against the status quo.

The UK is different, in that it's more acceptable to criticise things openly (from my experience at least). If you compare the Big Brother "talk shows" from early days of BBAU and BBUK, the UK versions were more analytical and discussion based, where as AU was more just rehashing what happened in the house.
Talking of which I randomly ended up watching the BB03 launch show last night and had completely forgotten about Tim Ferguson joining and The Insider show, which aired on Fridays.

Talking of which I randomly ended up watching the BB03 launch show last night and had completely forgotten about Tim Ferguson joining and The Insider show, which aired on Fridays.

The Insider aired on Saturdays and from memory only lasted that one season.

The Insider aired on Saturdays and from memory only lasted that one season.
Definitely aired Fridays. Preceded by Nominations and Uncut on Mondays and Thursdays.

The only seasons to air episodes on Saturday was 2001 and 2013 (the latter had Showdown).

Slightly off-topic but 2001’s Saturday shows were, in my opinion, one of the best spin-off shows BBAU has ever had. The only reason it never returned after that year was mostly due to Ten acquiring the rights for the AFL in 2002.

Last nights Big Brother episode was nothing but a cracker! :)

The best part was when Kieran left on his own terms with $15,000 cash in the bank by pressing the red button within the minute allocated while he was in the white room.
The worst part was when both Matt and Dan chucked a tantrum in the diary room due to the twists in the game meaning they were now outnumbered by Sophie's return.

On a side note, for the first time this series i was watching this episode with a friend on TV while sleeping over at their house and during the whole first half of the show, all of the other non viewing household members were making non stop small talk in the dining room to the point where i was driven so mad that i was seriously considering walking over and saying "Shhh i am watching Big Brother"! :(

Last edited:
Last nights Big Brother episode was nothing but a cracker! :)

The best part was when Kieran left on his own terms with $15,000 cash in the bank by pressing the red button within the minute allocated while he was in the white room.
The worst part was when both Matt and Dan chucked a tantrum in the diary room due to the twists in the game meaning they were now outnumbered by Sophie's return.

On a side note, for the first time this series i was watching this episode with a friend on TV while sleeping over at their house and during the whole first half of the show, all of the other non viewing household members were making non stop small talk in the dining room to the point where i was driven so mad that i was seriously considering walking over and saying "Shh i am watching Big Brother"! :(

You should have done it lol

If anyone hasn't seen it Sarah posted on her Instagram story defending Mat and Dan's reaction to Sophie returning

"Dan and Mat were very angry last night, they were frustrated. They took a big risk voting out Sophie (knowing that Chad would seek some sort of revenge) but they did it for THEIR game to progress further. Now their biggest threat has re-entered the game full guns blazing, having Chad probably still salty and me on the other alliance. Now they're back to square 1 and in the minority again. Think about it from their perspective. I know if I sent someone home and they came back I would be just as angry! It's a set back to your game and theres a lot on the line"

I feel like time after time this season, the HMs' decisions to nom and evict have been counter-intuitive to their chances of winning, but ideal from the producers' perspective (but really misguided because the remaining HMs are probably not the public's choice of the most entertaining or worthy). In the past, a big part of the BB pressure cooker was keeping the HMs isolated, but I get the distinct feeling this time around that there are producers quietly coaching the HMs from the sidelines, to manipulate ratings (like they clearly do on shows like The Bachelor). There isn't a skerrick of the old BB social experiment left, it's completely contrived.

Regarding counterintuitive voting choices, I starting thinking the same as you. However, quickly realised that we receive almost no context or wholesome content or even scene continuity. It makes it incredibly hard to gauge why the hm's vote like they do. We see very little ACTUAL strategy talk. And when we do, it is heavily edited and presented in a Happy meal box - Designed for kids with no nutritional value with a shitty toy surprise at the end being the evictee announcement. Absolutely concur with your comment about the show in its current form being completely contrived.

I feel like time after time this season, the HMs' decisions to nom and evict have been counter-intuitive to their chances of winning,

The Queen was trying to educate them before she was finally evicted.

Nominations have been strange the whole time. I think people kept thinking it was a much longer game than it was, trying to play that long game that'd never come. Keeping alliances above all else, when that's so easily open to manipulation and dishonesty.

Even some of the evictions made no sense with who was nominated.

The Queen was trying to educate them before she was finally evicted.

Nominations have been strange the whole time. I think people kept thinking it was a much longer game than it was, trying to play that long game that'd never come. Keeping alliances above all else, when that's so easily open to manipulation and dishonesty.

Even some of the evictions made no sense with who was nominated.

You mean the same queen who foolishly made a deal with the Alpha alliance that caused her to be evicted a second time?

Sophie has high anxiety but she is so fierce. Go girl.
Her anxiety not only affects her mind but also her body. She pulls her neck into her shoulders when she is stressed, it's quite hard to watch. One would think that during her years as an athlete she would have been taught how to relax.

Sophie steps away from a mirror for two seconds and suddenly she's a deserving winner? She might have the physical capacity to win challenges, but she's made it to this point by dumb luck, not smart game play.

And Chad doesn't have the brain capacity to wise up to anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back