Skip to main content

Episode BBAU 2020 - Episode 12 Discussion (30 June)

Are you happy that Angela has now been fully evicted from the Big Brother house?

• Yes, This is her second eviction.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • No, The queen should reign forever.

Votes: 50 60.2%
  • Hmm, My thoughts are mixed.

Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking the producers will be giving Daniel a lot more positive airtime in the coming episodes. They already decided they want him to win in my opinion, perhaps before the season had even started filming (although perhaps they were penning Kieran as as a possible winner as well).

That's about the size of it. Kieran has been there from the beginning as plan B. He is being promoted as some kind of 'evil genius' - which is laughable.

Reepbot has been supporting Team Alpha since about episode 3 I think.

I am thinking the producers will be giving Daniel a lot more positive airtime in the coming episodes. They already decided they want him to win in my opinion, perhaps before the season had even started filming (although perhaps they were penning Kieran as as a possible winner as well).

Do you watch survivor?

Do you watch survivor?
I do, pretty much a superfan. Also a BB superfan when it is good but it hasn't quite grabbed me as much this year, although I'm still a fan enough to seek out podcasts and refresh on this forum a bit too frequently ;) . Had been losing interest in Australian Survivor format due to excess of its style and formula (hasn't been dynamic enough and too slow moving), but the All Stars season was really good.

Why do you ask ?

I do, pretty much a superfan. Also a BB superfan when it is good but it hasn't quite grabbed me as much this year, although I'm still a fan enough to seek out podcasts and refresh on this forum a bit too frequently ;) . Had been losing interest in Australian Survivor format due to excess of its style and formula (hasn't been dynamic enough and too slow moving), but the All Stars season was really good.

Why do you ask ?

Because I would have thought you understood about stuff like editing.

I don't get your point ? I have previously said that several of the housemates are getting winners edits.

My point is that the producers have no way of knowing who will get to the end before filming starts so to say that they do is wrong imo.

My point is that the producers have no way of knowing who will get to the end before filming starts so to say that they do is wrong imo.
I don't agree 100%, maybe 70%. Upfront, they can have favorites and have these favorites interviewed often, with BB's sweet voice whispering sweet lullabies to them in the diary room. He could also potentially inform them of other things going on in the house and push things in a certain direction by asking them to do an activity. Angela's second life is one of them. It would not surprise me at all if Daniel was maneuvered into a positive spot by BB calling him to the diary room regularly, and HM's getting a sense of his important role. He is without a doubt getting some sort of a favorite treatment from BB.

Also from the get go, a psychologist could quickly tell who is likely to relate to whom and pencil in what may happen. Point is, this season is far more manufactured than any other season we have seen so far.

I don't agree 100%, maybe 70%. Upfront, they can have favorites and have these favorites interviewed often, with BB's sweet voice whispering sweet lullabies to them in the diary room. He could also potentially inform them of other things going on in the house and push things in a certain direction by asking them to do an activity. Angela's second life is one of them. It would not surprise me at all if Daniel was maneuvered into a positive spot by BB calling him to the diary room regularly, and HM's getting a sense of his important role. He is without a doubt getting some sort of a favorite treatment from BB.

Also from the get go, a psychologist could quickly tell who is likely to relate to whom and pencil in what may happen. Point is, this season is far more manufactured than any other season we have seen so far.

Others may have had similar treatment but they elected not to show it?

Anyway I thought it made for some wonderful television.

giphy.gif

I’m still annoyed at the whole Daniel & girlfriend rubbish. It made zero sense. id be feeling a bit ripped off if I were one of the other HM’s - plus I’m always so skeptical about these things... did they *really* break up? Or was it a hook for the show? First thing he says “do you still love me?“ - why would you even ask that on national tv unless you were already 100% sure what the answer would be? Seemed a bit *too* put together for my liking. ffs
That and the fact that they have those letters from home and sometimes visits by loved ones. When they're signing up to be contestants in the BB house, they're signing up for isolation... that's what the whole thing is about.
That Daniel and his girlfriend zoom segment was APPALLING.

* Unfair favouritism.
* Goes against what the concept of Big Brother is about.
* Terribly boring.

I hope we never see anything like that again. That segment doesn’t give me much hope for the future of BB if they pull stunts like this.

Producers,
30y0iu6.gif

The stunt the producers pulled by giving Daniel special treatment for that chat was undoubtedly the most blatant example of trying to pull votes in favour of a HM since Terri in 2008. There really is no excusable explanation for why he was given that advantage and anybody who tries to dispute this doesn't have a leg to stand on. It was preferential and not acceptable.

It should also be noted that at the time this call occurred the HMs were all aware of COVID-19 on the outside (but not the severity, and prior to the actual lockdown). This has been confirmed by Sonia, as of this morning's press interviews. So what makes this situation even worse is that all HMs were allowed to interact and have conversations to their families about the outside world during the shutdown anyway. Therefore by giving Daniel his one-on-one chat literally a day or two before giving it to him yet again (which was probably planned all along, maybe just not in circumstances that it occurred) is all kinds of unfair.

So is Angie being the poster child of the whole season and getting let back into the house for no apparent reason not favouritism as well? Dan is one of the big attractions of this season because his time in the AFL and as a social media personality has brought a lot of attention to him and that’s why channel 7 milks this stuff out for better ratings, same as they did with Angela because she was a fan favourite.

Producers can't control the narrative in the house, but they can certainly influence outcomes. Once Ange was gone, the producers will have rallied to get Daniel to the end (whilst I don't care for him, he's got more personality and has played a harder game than anyone left). The call with his GF is a clear shot a redemption narrative. He's 100% getting a winners edit.

From an outside interference perspective, I'm pretty blasé about it. The show is no longer a social experiment, and the purity of HM isolation began eroding a long time ago - as far back as the Ten era when there was almost a revolving door during that final year (wait - no - there literally was!). This is the producers game, I'm just here for the entertainment!

same as they did with Angela because she was a fan favourite
You mean producers' favourite. They didn't know about the fans' reaction to her when it was taped/edited, but could clearly see she was gold to them. But you're right it does cut both ways. Giving preferential treatment to Ange is no different to doing it for Dan. I'm not a producer, but they have to work out who the stars are in order to build the season's storyline/narrative. It seems they realised Ange, Kieran and Dan would be the fan favourites and ran with that. Is that audience manipulation or just marketing your best product?

Exactly. Editing doesn't just consist of cutting out scenes and juggling them around anymore these days. Considering advances in digital technology since 2001, editing, manipulating and creating that which isn't actually there have become the norm. Think of CGI and the way you morph and manipulate your selfie before you share it on SM. NOTHING is what it seems anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back