Skip to main content

Episode BBAU 2020 - Episode 1 Discussion (8 June) - First 12 housemates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three days compressed into one episode, plus an eviction? Too much for this viewer.
Funnily enough I actually predicted this a couple of weeks ago in a post. I think the aim of Seven/Endemol was to make the launch show action-packed in order to hook people in to watching the next ep. Presumably they thought that a launch show consisting only of HM intros/entering the house would not be rivetting enough for modern day viewers with the attention span of gnats.

if they’d slow down the show, add the important bits (like the nominations) and made it live. It’d all in not be a bad big brother.

On the fence about the first episode... The first 3/4 of the episode felt disjointed and lacked character development. The challenge was the highlight for me... The eviction kind of fell flat. IMO leaving out POV (or a replacement) really doesn’t do them any favours. Even with three nominees there’s always going to be an obvious target. I also could have done with more time to watch the HM’s plot and scheme.

For those wanting a quick summary:

Laura - votes Kieren
Zoey - votes Kieren
Allan - votes Zoe
Marissa - votes Zoe
Kieren - votes Zoe
Angela - votes Laura
Daniel - votes Laura
Casey - votes Laura
Matt - votes Laura
Xavier - votes Laura
Ian - votes Laura

I thought I saw Allan voting for Kieran in the Diary Room? So it doesn't make sense.

What braindead person in charge of editing a strategy-based show decides to put together a montage of people walking to the Diary Room to vote to evict and leaves out the actual voting, rather than putting together a montage of people in the room casting their vote to evict and leaving out the footage of them walking into the room?

I think you’ve got to let go of your expectations based on previous seasons.
I don’t watch MAFS but I gather you don’t get an episode for every day they are together, survivor is usually a 3 day cycle per episode.
we aren’t going to get as much of the lazing around social aspect as we have in the past. So perhaps that’s not for some, but I hope it can find a new audience. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

You're right, I will have to adjust my expectations accordingly. The pace of the show has been sped up significantly, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Shorter seasons are better. I only take umbrage at the heavy editing.

MFAS, what a garbage show lol

To be fair, I am under the impression Endemol had a lot of say in how the structure of the show was to be produced so it's not entirely in Seven's court.

Now that I think about it. The old format did drag on a bit too long and the show started losing momentum after a while. There's no reason why it needed to run for the length that it did. It just made for a boring show.

What braindead person in charge of editing a strategy-based show decides to put together a montage of people walking to the Diary Room to vote to evict and leaves out the actual voting, rather than putting together a montage of people in the room casting their vote to evict and leaving out the footage of them walking into the room?

Don’t know if it’s the editor or execs at Seven who demanded re-cuts... To be honest I’d be ok with it if they could figure out a way to reveal votes as they were counted.

Morning after thoughts:

If they continue to show eviction votes heavy cut up like they did in episode 1, we will never know if an eviction is true, or the producers just made up the numbers.
That's exactly what I thought too.

From memory Survivor is edited (unsurprisingly) in the exact same way?

From memory Survivor is edited (unsurprisingly) in the exact same way?

Yes but can’t you tell who’s vote it is by the writing? Obviously there are times where not all votes are revealed but they’ve usually edited the show in a way where it’s implied how the other votes were cast.

Yes but can’t you tell who’s vote it is by the writing? Obviously there are times where not all votes are revealed but they’ve usually edited the show in a way where it’s implied how the other votes were cast.
The casual viewer would not be paying that much attention.

Someone is a bit salty

And

I agree with Laura.

Also I believe there was an element of racial bias at play. The reasons were all along the vein of "she doesn't fit with the group, she's grumpy, she doesn't sit right with me". It's such a common story when it comes to dark skinned people, and the white people don't even realise they're doing it.

It will be interesting to see Channel 7's language when they publish the next evictee interview. Will they use language like the housemate "lashes out" when it's a white evictee? Laura was actually rather rational in her explanations and didn't exactly go off the deep end.

I'm hoping to see abit more strategy from the hm's. The reasons why they voted were petty. I know it's night one and you're not meant to come off to strong but I only think I heard one or two comments about voting someone cause they could be a threat.

I'm hoping to see abit more strategy from the hm's. The reasons why they voted were petty. I know it's night one and you're not meant to come off to strong but I only think I heard one or two comments about voting someone cause they could be a threat.

Meh. Kieran is going to win anyway.

Meh. Kieran is going to win anyway.
i don't think so, he hasn't been recieved well by the public.

Allan also wasn't recieved well, mixed views about talia, people seemed to like angela and xavier, weird considering he got little airtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back