Skip to main content

BB10 1st Week Review, Good Or Bad?

I'm getting this vibe as well.
Me 3. I actually think Alex M has the potential to create a great show and return the show to the glory days but as long as it is on Channel 9 there is zero chance of this happening. I don't think Big Brother is in danger though because I think if it got axed by 9 in the next year or two, Channel 10 would revive it. I really hope they do anyway!

So I have been reading these posts and I have a few thoughts....

I think one of my main issues is that it seems like BB Aus cares too much about trying to be original. They keep trying to make it out like everything is a new thing and new twists. I'd rather they rehash old things and bring up the production value. No onto my thoughts for the week

Pros:
1. Housemates (I believe everyone agrees this cast of housemates are good)

2. The married couple twist - at first I thought it was stupid but it's grown on me and its enjoyable...maybe cos I like drew a lot.

Cons:
1. Saturday Showdown - the prizes weren't that great and why give it such a stupid name as presidential suite or whatever it was. Nominations superpower ain't all that great... They dragged the show for an hour when it could have easily fitted in an half hour slot.

2. The half-way house twist...firstly what an annoying name half way house...secondly the divide is annoying I'd rather they just live on rations, have a curfew to their bad sleeping areas and not use of bathrooms but can still walk around house and interact. Thirdly the idea of the top nominees being in the half way house is stupid as some people are likely to be stuck there...

3. The overly edited daily shows - self explanatory plus I don't enjoy how the editing is focused on certain characters more even when what is shown is boring and unnecessary

There is probably more I am just too tired to think right now. Anyways I give it an overall rating of 7/10

Saturday Showdown - the prizes weren't that great and why give it such a stupid name as presidential suite or whatever it was. Nominations superpower ain't all that great... They dragged the show for an hour when it could have easily fitted in an half hour slot.

Really? I know I would be pretty fucking happy if I got 5000 bucks! :D pretty good prize in my opinion. I was surprised when I heard that because I thought nine was a little tight. :p

FNL should have remained 100% axed - pointless addition and be better to have a Saturday daily show. The big elements of live shows not being live is making the live shows pointless, while scheduling in general is just a mess. Effectively this year they'll only be full daily shows for two days of the week.

Really annoyed they're not keeping the HMs divided throughout the week - no point having the divide as the big twist and then letting HMs across the divide virtually every day.

Positives are the cast and the house are far better than last year, and even the cringy fake marriage task seems to have worked, though they should have been thrown in on launch night.

Channel 10 Couldn't take BB Back anyway :( They don't have any reality shows or anything to go with it.. TGABO works with it, The Voice, AGT, and other stuff... but what do channel 10 have...? Everybody Dance now? Young Talent Time? I definitely want it to go back to C10 But I don't think it will :( This could be the final season of BB D: Why do people choose a bunch of kids singing on XFactor then watching bb :confused:

Channel 10 Couldn't take BB Back anyway :( They don't have any reality shows or anything to go with it.. TGABO works with it, The Voice, AGT, and other stuff... but what do channel 10 have...? Everybody Dance now? Young Talent Time? I definitely want it to go back to C10 But I don't think it will :( This could be the final season of BB D: Why do people choose a bunch of kids singing on XFactor then watching bb :confused:

Channel 10 are reviving So you think you can dance and that would be a good show to pair big brother with also Everybody Dance Now and Young Talent Time were canned a year ago.

I don't see most talent shows as very much to do with the reality show format. Project Runway perhaps with the unusual challenges people have to do together in teams as well as individually, but these other shows?

I honestly think that what nine have done with the show this year is most likely the best they can do with the "family friendly" motto. Its disappointing!

I stopped watching after Wednesday. Its just the same old and pretty boring. Shame there's no live stream..

It does feel fairly sanitized....personally the thing I'd like to see is the "family dinner" shown ..unedited from start to finish...but all in all I am enjoying it so far, and really look forward to nom nom night which can be quite revealing about what hms are really thinking...7.5/10

[MENTION=19441]the Theorist[/MENTION],

The BB Crew monitor this site all the time.

Im sure they will have read this forum.

Without an Uplate at least I cannot give it more than 5.5/10.

I don't know who these people are! Is one constantly making ribald jokes? Is one a total prude? I can't tell you because I am being fed carefully crafted crap.

I used to love the way Friday night Live lead into Uplate and they were all drunk and rowdy and acting like true humans. Now what do we have? Nothing but controlled environments.

IMO those trukey slapping douchebags have a lot to answer for, I swear 9 are afraid something similar will happen again.

PS great post Theorist :)

I give it a 7.5/10, too.

A really excellent cast - they've done so well with casting this year. I didn't mind the games, but then I recorded it and ffwed through the ads (and I was forewarned that Shelley Craft would be involved, so girded my loins). But then I used to loathe the Friday night games.

All the stuff I miss, I've missed for years - like a decent interview with Gretel for the evictee; returning evictees coming back into the studio and giving their opinions; and Up-Late, plus a decent Confidential show. If nothing else, they surely could return a level of intelligent reportage, even at this late date. Plus settle on some extended conversational interchanges in the edit of the daily shows. We're not all 8-12 years old. But it's back on, and the cast is the best it's been for yonks, so it is off to a good if not perfect start, for me.

So far this season off BBAU has been fantastic.

Yes, there are parts they need to improve on. The showdown is awful, mikey and michael presenting to literally NO CROWD is very weird, and shelley's part not even being recorded in the same room as michael and mikey is very awkward and weird.
Also, not having something like this LIVE is silly.
Channel 9 seem to be afraid of ever showing any LIVE big brother.

But apart from the showdown, and lack of anything live, they're doing SOOOO much better than last year.

Will it last? I don't think so, but who knows, I didn't think they could keep my attention for over a week but it seems they have.

If I had to rate what I expected this week to be, it would have been a 4/10. But since watching it, it's a good 7.5/10 .

It's a good start.

I agree with you. The singing shows are more and more silly. In the promo, you see a kid singing in tune, the judges have tears in their eyes and the audience stands up. Absolutely ridiculous.

They chose the HMs well. That's all, every thing else in bad for me. I give 2/10 for the first week

I really liked the opening night. The contestants where from a wide range of backgrounds. All had interesting stories about themselves. So for me things where looking good. The twists where/are good. Tim given the choice between eating his favourite ice cream or giving Tahan back her hairdryer was great. Now for the but - but it all seems flat. I just don't know why. Can't seem to put my finger on it. Maybe when nominations start things will turn around - hopefully. I'll keep watching though. :)

Back