Skip to main content

BB10 1st Week Review, Good Or Bad?

Untitled-Typo

Bland
Awesome site donor
So, this season we can all say that this is the best that nine has done with big brother. But do you like it? What do you rate it? Favourite season so far? Better housemates?

Share your thoughts!

Good! Actually so glad it's better than I expected because I (for the first time ever) didn't even watch the opening live I was so over what 9 had done to it (I still am) but the fact that I'm loving the majority of this years housemates makes for good viewing! So far rating it overall a 8/10. It's my favourite season since 2006 so that's a good sign. Don't like though that the majority of the hm's have had some work in radio/modelling etc. but that doesn't surprise me. If all the housemates were like last year's I would have given up already! Showdown was bad, twists have been tacky (apart from Drade - they make the twist good - if it were anyone else it would be crap) LOL! It's only better than last year because of the hm's.

Good! Actually so glad it's better than I expected because I (for the first time ever) didn't even watch the opening live I was so over what 9 had done to it (I still am) but the fact that I'm loving the majority of this years housemates makes for good viewing! So far rating it overall a 8/10. It's my favourite season since 2006 so that's a good sign. Don't like though that the majority of the hm's have had some work in radio/modelling etc. but that doesn't surprise me. If all the housemates were like last year's I would have given up already! Showdown was bad, twists have been tacky (apart from Drade - they make the twist good - if it were anyone else it would be crap) LOL! It's only better than last year because of the hm's.

Agreed!

I am enjoying this season so far. There are good characters in the house and I am enjoying the House Divide Twist (although they should really stop letting the Halfway housemates into the Safe House).

Some negatives:
Showdown isn't that good (they really should call it Saturday Showdown). It feels weird that Shelley is the host and the games weren't very exciting tbh. A theme for each showdown would also be nice.

Scheduling:
90 minute episodes? I shouldn't be complaining because it means we get to see more of what goes on in the house, but I think 60 minutes is quite enough. And also there are no Sundays. This means that we don't get to see much of what happened in the house over the weekend. Big Brother on Mondays has also been pushed to 8pm this week? And it goes until 9:30pm?!

Editing:
We don't get to see many conversations. We see too much of housemates in the diary room.

I would have to say the first week of Big Brother gets around 7.5/10.

I am enjoying this season so far. There are good characters in the house and I am enjoying the House Divide Twist (although they should really stop letting the Halfway housemates into the Safe House).

Some negatives:
Showdown isn't that good (they really should call it Saturday Showdown). It feels weird that Shelley is the host and the games weren't very exciting tbh. A theme for each showdown would also be nice.

Scheduling:
90 minute episodes? I shouldn't be complaining because it means we get to see more of what goes on in the house, but I think 60 minutes is quite enough. And also there are no Sundays. This means that we don't get to see much of what happened in the house over the weekend. Big Brother on Mondays has also been pushed to 8pm this week? And it goes until 9:30pm?!

Editing:
We don't get to see many conversations. We see too much of housemates in the diary room.

Your comments make me think that maybe I rated the first week too highly. I'm changing my vote to 7.5/10 as well! LOL! Totally agree with you.

Some negatives:

Scheduling:

Editing:

Agreed also! Showdown is a horror.

Like always they picked some interesting characters and some duds. The rest of the show has been shithouse however.

Poorly and overly edited with the same awfully predictable twists and rewards. Yawn.

To be honest I haven't got into it. Have just kind of glazed over doing other things when episodes are on.

But that said, I have been travelling for three months and have been back one week. So I am distracted.

Review:

The housemates are some of the best that I have seen in the show, EVER! But not my favourite hm's. The design of the opening theme and general things like time and live or not are the BEST ive seen in the show. But the music doesn't seem to fit for me. No confidential is a god giving! But showdown, oh showdown you poor thing. so much potential! Sonia is better at hosting it this time, but the jokes are getting repetitive. The house is my 2nd favoured house of all time, with the simple but luxurious layout. the stage set is nice but it feels small. I prefered last years. Again, I agree that 90 mins for a daily show is over kill. 60 mins is enough for me, and scheduling for evictions is annoying. but over all this season so far is refreshing! I give it also a 7.5/10.

I like what the housemates could be. They seem fairly diverse and likeable. I don't feel I know them. I know what channel 9 wants me know and that is good story telling. I spoke to some teens today who are loving it and they don't seem to mind the bad editing and diary room talk. In fact they love Big Brother as a character. I give it 5/10 so far but it could heat up. If they get the new twist right it could get higher points from me next week.

Matt seems to be the girls favorite.

I had very low expectations for this year due to last year's housemates being completely horrible to each other and they always bitched but I am pleasantly surprised how diverse the cast is this year and most of them seem like nice and intelligent people.

The house divide twist was fun and I hope it lasts for a few more weeks. I was a bit sceptical about the marriage twist but Jade and Drew were the right housemates for the task. I look forward to them being exposed on Monday night and I do wonder how the new guy and the two sisters will be part of the next twist :confused: :)

Showdown was good. It was nice to see the games back however it did lack atmosphere obviously because it was pre-recorded and no audience. I was actually fooled that Shelley and the two commentators were in the same room :eek: so if Shelley was filmed in another state that would be kind of disappointing.

I have two complaints one would be about the editing. It is completely obvious that scenes are getting cut and moved around and it does not make sense. On Thursday's daily show Heidi was at the dinner wearing the "Please nominate me" shirt after accepting Surly's challenge then the next scene is at the same dinner with BB speaking Italian to Jade but Heidi is not wearing the shirt so it was obviously before Heidi was given her task.

My other complaint which I have said around here before is that we need a M rated show once a week. I would like to see a deeper insight to the housemates and would like to see some of their opinions and jokes of topics that would not be appropriate in a PG slot. Move Big Brother Confidential to a later timeslot on NINE or GO! otherwise the show is just pointless.

I had very low expectations for this year due to last year's housemates being completely horrible to each other and they always bitched but I am pleasantly surprised how diverse the cast is this year and most of them seem like nice and intelligent people.

The house divide twist was fun and I hope it lasts for a few more weeks. I was a bit sceptical about the marriage twist but Jade and Drew were the right housemates for the task. I look forward to them being exposed on Monday night and I do wonder how the new guy and the two sisters will be part of the next twist :confused: :)

Showdown was good. It was nice to see the games back however it did lack atmosphere obviously because it was pre-recorded and no audience. I was actually fooled that Shelley and the two commentators were in the same room :eek: so if Shelley was filmed in another state that would be kind of disappointing.

I have two complaints one would be about the editing. It is completely obvious that scenes are getting cut and moved around and it does not make sense. On Thursday's daily show Heidi was at the dinner wearing the "Please nominate me" shirt after accepting Surly's challenge then the next scene is at the same dinner with BB speaking Italian to Jade but Heidi is not wearing the shirt so it was obviously before Heidi was given her task.

My other complaint which I have said around here before is that we need a M rated show once a week. I would like to see a deeper insight to the housemates and would like to see some of their opinions and jokes of topics that would not be appropriate in a PG slot. Move Big Brother Confidential to a later timeslot on NINE or GO! otherwise the show is just pointless.

An M rated show once a week would be good. And I agree that showdown did lack atmosphere due to no audience!

I have high hopes as the season continues and evictions start.

However, the problem is what everyone here states... 9 is deathly afraid of anything 'Live'. Live view, live games are gone and so is the spine of what BB is. How can we ever get to know the HMs? The so-called 'Live-Feed' is just a list of teasers telling us that the HMs are talking but not what they are saying. Such a joke.

Maybe I'm getting old, but so far not enjoying it or getting hooked in this year.
I'll keep up with it on this site, but don't think I'll bother watching it anymore.

I've crunched the numbers and the average number of viewers is 962 666 thousand people. This averages a total score of 7.5/10, which you guys have mostly rated it. so that's the rating for week 1 and bb10 so far.

I've crunched the numbers and the average number of viewers is 962 666 thousand people. This averages a total score of 7.5/10, which you guys have mostly rated it. so that's the rating for week 1 and bb10 so far.

Loving this thread and your averages :) Keep them coming every week! Ratings not that great but it's good they are number #1 in their target market.

I am really liking it. In my opinion it has been better then last year compared to the first weeks of both but I think they definitely need a later version. There are scenes which are too adult associated that aren't allowed to be aired at the early time. Showdown was really good, I thought it was really reminiscent of FNG to be honest and hope it is themed in the next editions. Definitely better then the challenges inside the house. Did anyone notice how much smaller the arena was? But it is definitely a major improvement on last year. As I said, I have liked it and will 100% watch it all of this week. Rating: 8.5/10. (Sorry for the blabber.) :p

After Week 1, my opinion remains undecided at this point. And this post is about to get very serious.

Knowing that this thread is likely to be read by someone at BB HQ (hi guys! ;)) I'll start by saying that one of the definite strong points of this season is definitely the cast. The casting of this season is honestly probably the best chosen cast since 2003, in my opinion - not only is the diversity there, but they're all strong, promising individuals with a lot of varying personalities, characteristics and potential. I would honestly rank the casting of this group as highly as the 2001-2003 years - so that's definitely a pro point about this season.

But then on the other hand, I'll continue by saying that the casting has unfortunately been let down by the production of the show this year. Yet again we are seeing watered down, mere portions of these HM's and their personalities, and we are still not getting the "full picture" so to speak.

Yesterday I went on a bit of a rant about this issue in another thread so I'm just going to repeat a lot of what I've already said here, but the one thing letting everything down so far is all the contrived BS they're already throwing at us, as well as the way the shows are being put together.

I hate to say this but so far this season has seen the worst and most contrived editing of Big Brother I have ever seen in any series around the world in the whole 13 years I've been watching Big Brother. This might shock some of you but I've actually become a fan of Alex Mavroidakis as of lately (my original opinion of him has slightly come around in the last few months, surprisingly) but Alex, please don't ever say that Big Brother Australia in its current form is "as raw and as honest as reality TV gets" when it's so highly (and most of all, obviously) edited down and "scripted" in terms of how scenes are re-arranged and becoming too structured.

Many may argue that the fact we don't have live streaming is the cause of us not being able to really "know" the HM's but I actually disagree. The Daily Show could still very easily portray the true nature of these people, just as they did for eight years prior, as well airing all the content from the house, without feeling the need to water it all down to the point of non-existence. At the moment, we're merely getting "teasers" of scenes and incidents aired in the Daily Shows that potentially could have been a lot more intriguing and/or substantial had they been shown mostly in full (i.e. the Tully/Mikkayla incident has now had similar treatment that the Angie/Layla incident did last year, and the editing of the HM's "getting to know each other" earlier this week had us only hearing mismatched sentences of each random conversation instead of actually allowing the audience to get to know these people alongside the HM's - which, mind you, is supposed to be one of the points of Big Brother in the first place). It's just really frustrating.

Alex recently compared Big Brother to Home & Away or Neighbours, stating why they clearly differ in "authenticity", but honestly when they start to force storylines into the house (i.e. Tim's "dilemma" as an attempt to cause some controversy among the group), they're really not far off the same type of drama we'd usually see in said soapies - especially when they start to include as many inconsistent cuts (i.e. continuity errors in several episodes so far, namely during the family dinner on Wednesday's show) and when they add CGI effects to the production as well (i.e. that bloody Surly). And that last one really disappointed me.

There was absolutely no need to digitally add Surly. Heck, there was no need to bring back Surly at all! The fact they did add him, and via video enhancement no less, on a freakin' reality show that is supposed to be "as raw and as honest as reality TV gets" - I mean, seriously, does anyone else not see something wrong with that?! This isn't an episode of Blue's Clues.

Considering this is the show that tried to fiercely defend its "editing" nature in a notorious incident back in 2006, they're clearly not too fussed about it these days and it's not sitting well with me. Do they think their main audience is really that dumb? This is not how Big Brother, of all reality TV shows, should be put together!

I mean, don't get me wrong, I get that Big Brother can and will never go back to its glory days, I understand that, but at least give us the benefit of the doubt and STOP TREATING US LIKE CHILDREN!

Week 1 was filled with pointless attempts at creating a faux entertainment value out of the house instead of just allowing the HM's to cause that entertainment on their own accord. Minus the main twist of the house split (which I do like the concept of, it just has a couple of flaws), there was a ridiculous amount of unwarranted "treats" or surprises given to the HM's. They'd been in the house for less than a week and they were already being showered with luxuries, even the "poor" side. Within five days, there was Mikkayla's spa mission, Tim's ice-cream dilemma, Ben and Jasmin's game and Heidi's Surly task. These are all fine had the HM's actually deserved or worked for them after a substantial amount of time in there. Part of the concept of Big Brother goes to waste if they go about things like that the way they have been.

I know Channel 9 obviously have restrictions and a quota to fulfill as to what Alex is and isn't allowed to do with the show, but I just feel as though there really needs to be a bit more of a compromise in how Big Brother is handled, at both the Big Brother and the Channel 9 offices. Now on a network that airs shows such as Underbelly, they shouldn't be afraid to take risks!

In saying all this though, I only go on and on because I care about this show and I don't want to lose it again anytime soon. I know Channel 9 mostly only care about the demo ratings, but it has concerned me that so far this year every single article published online and in print about BBAU10 has been negative. I'm yet to see a positive comment about the show in any major article - so much so that it's almost as though the media are just burning the show for the sake of it nowadays.

I'll obviously keep up with the show and see where it goes and I'm thankful to Alex for giving us a few things we've asked for - I've been taking note of everything and he is trying to give a bit of what the fans want - but there's just those few discrepancies that bug me as a fan.

Overall, I'd give this season a 7/10 so far. I like what they've done with the twist and the split divide. It was a great idea and it certainly has the ability to go far if they continue to execute it well. Just don't be weak with the HM's! Just give us a bit more live house content during the eviction and nominations shows. Don't try to squeeze all the life out of the Daily Shows. Show us full scenes and interactions between HM's.

This is the show that once had Australia in the palm of its hand. Please remind the general viewing public as to why that was so.

Last edited:
I can't believe it took me 2 hours to write that. :eek: This thread had zero posts when I started lol!

I am really liking it. In my opinion it has been better then last year compared to the first weeks of both but I think they definitely need a later version. There are scenes which are too adult associated that aren't allowed to be aired at the early time. Showdown was really good, I thought it was really reminiscent of FNG to be honest and hope it is themed in the next editions. Definitely better then the challenges inside the house. Did anyone notice how much smaller the arena was? But it is definitely a major improvement on last year. As I said, I have liked it and will 100% watch it all of this week. Rating: 8.5/10. (Sorry for the blabber.) :p

Hahaha. Its ok to blabber.

Back