Skip to main content

BB/CBB UK - Rewatch discussions

They kind of experimented with that in a way occassionally when they had the lounge in the garden separate from the main house in a couple of series so the evictee had to walk through the house alone to exit which somewhat had the same effect, but I could see what you suggest working, especially if at the point of exit the evictee can see both the housemates and the crowd.

Remains to be seen what set up we have for the crowd in the new version and whether they switch to a studio set up. I'm not against an outdoor crowd, but think the show needs to be largely anchored from an indoor studio in the way it was from BB1-BB4 rather than anchoring it amongst a baying mob. Indeed I've always felt the crowd were incorporated better in the early series where Davina would talk to people in the crowd prior to the eviction, during the countdown and at the end of the show rather than just present in front of them. And of course the evictee would usually, but not always, go back out to meet the crowd - something the studio set up meant was abandoned midway through the C4 run, though the C5 studio did allow it (think they were usually sent towards their family inside instead though).
The studio being a more controlled space it only makes sense for that to be the centre of the action rather than the outdoor set.

One thing I think Channel 5 got right was constructing an actual outdoor set rather than the outdoor crowd feeling like it was plopped in the middle of a car park.

I think ideally if they’re building everything from scratch they’d have the outdoor set lead in to the new studio so that the presenter can easily pop in and out of the studio when needed.

I think in the later Channel 4 years it was just easier for Davina to be based outside the house rather than running back and forth during breaks in the show.

That said I wouldn’t be shocked if they just went with a studio and ditched the big outdoor crowd completely and to be honest with all the over-the-top booing from that crowd I wouldn’t be upset with such a change either.

If they’re going for just a studio my vision would be to still use the garden as a buffer zone sandwiched between the house and studio structure and have a gangway connecting the two structures.

If an outdoor set is built then it would essentially be a similar layout to the Channel 5 era set… The only differences being the main focus is no longer the front of the house but the rear wall of the garden and an actual purpose build/larger studio being off to the left/right side of the outdoor set.

That said the 2016 set did rely a little too much on screens so I’d probably tone that down a bit.

Yes, C5 did a good job with the outdoor sets and TBF the accompanying indoor set, especially considering how small the space was. Indeed C5 did a good job with the houses too - it was just the production that was generally lousy.

Obviously we'll never know what would have happened had they stayed at Bow as it's possible the house would have been rebuilt, especially for the series 3 twist, if they were going to stay there more long term - and additional studio space may have been acquired for the spin-offs, but the spin-offs clearly benefited from the move to Elstree with the extra studio space more so than the main eviction shows perhaps. I think one good thing with BBUK (and BBUS for that matter) is there has always been that direct connection from the house to the studio so there was no TV trickery around their exits as in Canada or a break to cover the ride to the studio as in Aus - we saw them in the moments they left the house rather than them getting a few minutes with a runner off screen before being bought to the studio.

Yes, C5 did a good job with the outdoor sets and TBF the accompanying indoor set, especially considering how small the space was. Indeed C5 did a good job with the houses too - it was just the production that was generally lousy.

Obviously we'll never know what would have happened had they stayed at Bow as it's possible the house would have been rebuilt, especially for the series 3 twist, if they were going to stay there more long term - and additional studio space may have been acquired for the spin-offs, but the spin-offs clearly benefited from the move to Elstree with the extra studio space more so than the main eviction shows perhaps. I think one good thing with BBUK (and BBUS for that matter) is there has always been that direct connection from the house to the studio so there was no TV trickery around their exits as in Canada or a break to cover the ride to the studio as in Aus - we saw them in the moments they left the house rather than them getting a few minutes with a runner off screen before being bought to the studio.
Most definitely the house at Bow would have been rebuilt at some point… Although not sure if they would have gone with the twist they did for BB3 had the move not happened at that point.

I imagine they could have gone at least another series at Bow before they considered substantial changes. Although I do think BB3’s house would have had more significant changes than the BB1 to 2 house did.

On that note it would be interesting to see how BB4 would have panned out had production not felt the need to go “back to basics”.

I still think BB4 should have built on the huge ratings the divide twist bought in on BB3 and developed it further - either more extreme divides as in Germany, or the two house idea as in Australia at the same time. Sadly they seemed to listen to those who moaned about it more rather than acknowledging that the format of BB3 saw rating up 2-3m a night towards the end on BB2.

I still think BB4 should have built on the huge ratings the divide twist bought in on BB3 and developed it further - either more extreme divides as in Germany, or the two house idea as in Australia at the same time. Sadly they seemed to listen to those who moaned about it more rather than acknowledging that the format of BB3 saw rating up 2-3m a night towards the end on BB2.
I don’t think that “back to basics” was a bad idea it just wasn’t executed well. I’ve not really watched much of BB4 but my basic understanding of its criticisms mainly dealt with the cast and how dull they were.

If they had at least built on the casting from BB3 it would have faired much better.

I mean BBAU’s 4th series had the same concept and was also criticized it’s held up over time because it had a fairly solid cast.

It's interesting to think how swapping the casts of BB3 and BB4 would have panned out. The BB4 cast probably needed the bigger twist like the divide to create a bit of interest whilst the BB3 cast would likely have been fine left to their own devices.

If I recall correctly BBUK4's "back to basics" was a deliberate effort to reign the series in after what was seen as a volatile third series. I don't believe it had much to do with the divide twist. It was more about the wild, crazy, tabloid-fodder antics that the programme was becoming associated with.

Looking back it is odd that Channel 4 would try to stray from what turned into a huge ratings success, but maybe it was about their branding or relationship with advertisers at the time. I am not sure. Either way, it backfired. The ratings, whilst still high, dropped. The fans and the press were disappointed in Big Brother 4 aka "Big Bore." The following year they took Big Brother into the complete opposite direction.

It's interesting to think how swapping the casts of BB3 and BB4 would have panned out. The BB4 cast probably needed the bigger twist like the divide to create a bit of interest whilst the BB3 cast would likely have been fine left to their own devices.
I agree that the BB3 really didn't need the help but not so sure about BB4.

If I recall correctly BBUK4's "back to basics" was a deliberate effort to reign the series in after what was seen as a volatile third series. I don't believe it had much to do with the divide twist. It was more about the wild, crazy, tabloid-fodder antics that the programme was becoming associated with.

Looking back it is odd that Channel 4 would try to stray from what turned into a huge ratings success, but maybe it was about their branding or relationship with advertisers at the time. I am not sure. Either way, it backfired. The ratings, whilst still high, dropped. The fans and the press were disappointed in Big Brother 4 aka "Big Bore." The following year they took Big Brother into the complete opposite direction.
BB3 being the highest overall rated series ever I don't think anyone or anything forced their hand.

ETA: Also (taken from Wikipedia) "The Rich and Poor divide caused numerous issues in the house, mainly when Housemate Tim became the only Housemate living on the Rich side for a week."

Potential spoilers, but this was a good documentary special about the Channel 4 years.

BB4 segment at 21:37 where the Channel 4 head of programming briefly discusses that they made a decision about the "tone."
"Big Brother 3 was raucous and tabloid. Big Brother 4, we wanted to strike a different tone and go 'back to basics.' And of course what we quickly discovered was that you can't go back to basics."
I think the implication was that Channel 4 wanted to bring back the tone of BB1-BB2 and learned the hard way that ship had sailed.

^Got a few book marked things to circle back to when I finish at least the Ch 4 seasons.
Had a bit of a busy last 2 weeks, left off BBUK4 after the first BBLB, and picked it back up this week, Just about to begin Week 2 and start the Day 9 Live Task.

I've gotten used to the colours a bit more, Inside looks a bit brighter during the day, but then again at night sometimes its bright other angles/times it seems a little dimmer (and you can see the wall light fixtures accented a little more. hmm strange. Anyways they had a guest on during the First BBLB that went through their choices for the bedroom wall colours (that Green has a specific name) and testing how it looked on camera and skin tones etc. The Diary room also had a few different alternates before they went with the Blue Chair on white backdrop.

BBLB itself, theyre using a few more compact couches this season, so Dermot isnt doing the massive jump over but tentaively one arm vault over on occasion lol. Also theyve gone back to the weekly task being the focus of the shopping budget with a wager bet of no less than 50%, but still keeping the Live Task on Saturday which I'm happy to see, I liked that addition last season.

The Pedalo task, Federico really putting nomination targets on himself by failing that for the group. Cameron's mic pack also took a dive down the pedal end for a bit during a changeover. It going to stir things up a little bit though with the scant budget for week 2 on that side of things.
I can differentiate between a few of them more now that on the Launch. Still early days but I think some may start to come out more depending if some others go before them that are dominating the edit a little bit.

For instance Ray apparently is early odds for winner, but atm I think he's a bit in the peripheral of some scenes (a bit like PJ was at this point last season) in the wake of someone like say Federico who feels a bit more present at the moment. Scott being nominated also has started coming a bit more out too but probably still the least front and centre in the dailies in the first week. It'll be interesting as Davina touched on too whether they want to keep Gos around a bit more for his Kitchen skills and maybe help to avoid nomination that way haha. Steph had a Bday with a video message, Cissy Nush and Tania some others that have popped up here and here in the dailies so far.

There were some interesting random discussions brought up, theres a general feeling from the public that Jon is boring with his stories and educated way of speaking kinda thing, but as the week went on I found a lot of his little scenes entertaining - Although that latest one where he rushed to the diary room to update BB on the dynamics in the house and noticing perhaps cracks forming with Nush and Gos may have a been a bit much, Haha. I was a bit hmm about Justine's nose job story where the doctor was very pro 'I think you should get your nose done' but if it was to correct a sinus problem or whatever I guess thats not as jarring haha.

Eviction Night, Interesting percentage with nearly 50% out of 4 nominees for Anouska. The outside set also been altered (as well as inside) the crowd has been moved back from the stairs outside a gate (a little bit BB1 & 2 style) and theres a second side of the crowd leading up to the studio. The Doors inside the house did shut when Anouska went through, but then opened again as she went out. We'll see whether that will be same format next week. I also might revisit Anouska's stint on BBAU2003 when we get up to it (I wonder if BBLB will do a little update and follow a bit of that maybe) now I have a bit more context.

Anyways more as I think of but for now onto Week 2!

That is my favourite eviction set up at Elstree - the shows lost something in later years when the connection between the studio and the crowd was lost.

Took another on/off break but hopefully back into it on the regular, Finished BB4 Week 2!
  • The Secret dance party room was interesting. A bit of preamble and build up for just one brief round of tug-of-war (Sissy taking it very seriously as the referee, sorting out the teams before reading out the instructions where BB was going to give her a time limit) then it was all over, they only had a limited time airing it Live and to get to the first few minutes of the room though as well I suppose.
  • Still on Sissy, I can see she's the one who seems to be overthinking the way the game is going at the moment and perhaps one of the most aware of the game iykwim at the moment. Gos starting to come out of his shell a bit more.
  • The Scouts task was fun with some different activities 'WE WILL DO OUR BEST'.
  • Fed having a blinder of a week, first it was the horrendously awkward and inappropriate scene with the female BB in the diary room. Was he even drunk at that point or what cause that was bizarre. Whoever the BB operator was didn't defuse it straightaway either and tried to redirect him. Then we have him being the reason for the task failure the second week running. Ray flipped his sh!t, they all heavily suspect it was Federico (and not Scott or Steph) getting that wrong, and his guilty AF actions going to bed early, Still he's not going to fess up and paint a nominations target on himself (I think it will happen regardless, just what do the public think of him at this point will tell the story).
  • BBLB; had to laugh, wtf scheduling department, who's idea was it to have the magazine sexologist on the same day that the gaggle of kid scouts and their leader are on let alone have her segment in plain view and earshot of THE KIDS STANDING IN THE BACKGROUND OF SHOT WATCHING THEM? She kept it fairly PG/M rated, but still... bit dicey lol.
  • Nominations, Nush was pretty funny with her blunt noms about not pulling their weight in the Kitchen (See, Gos' skills appear to be giving him a bit of Nominations armour at least with some of the HM's it seems). There was a bit of a spread happening too but ultimately it came down to the interesting pair up of Jon and Justine.
  • Speaking of, Its really starting to become a lot more focus on Jon as a central character of the season (there was even a Mr Tickle balloon or something at the Eviction). So if he were to be evicted there would be a bit of a vacuum space in the house at this point I reckon. Jon and Justine's approach towards each other kindof shifted very quickly as well after their dancing in the secret room.
  • It looked like it was still a close result (57%) so people may still be a bit divided on Jon's Entertainment value. Also Justine, there were a few more funny and quirky moments shown in her best bits than I think I saw more of her 'Wanna stay, and I'm really tired of living with Jon in the house' kinda thing that made up most of her daily show edit this week IMO (That boys/girls performance thing they had on she had a bit of a moment).
  • They are fixated on the Girls going one by one so far atm. I think some of them still do appear to be mingling well with either side of this supposed Girl/Boy divide though, Like Nush could be seen with the Boys discussing the Shopping Budget and stuff. I Think one of the guests on BBLB mentioned Nush and Scott as kindof bridging the gap and floating between the emerging leaders of the house dynamics.
  • Nominations for week 3 will be interesting as well as the budget situation, maybe there will be an add on to the Saturday Live Task. Hmmm.

all for now, Onto Week 3!

Last edited:
I loved our Rewards Room idea. Was more interesting IMO than how the Aussies later did it and a simple way to offer a prize each week without breaking the bank. Just a shame the tasks were so shit - and these went out on live TV too.

I loved our Rewards Room idea. Was more interesting IMO than how the Aussies later did it and a simple way to offer a prize each week without breaking the bank. Just a shame the tasks were so shit - and these went out on live TV too.
Weren’t the BBAU prizes all sponsored? The UK had a product placement ban until 2011.

They could have had prizes supplied by a "sponsor" but not have the sponsor pay above their value to supply them.

Week 3 Done; also watched the Week 4 Live Task.

• Pass The Parcel, That worked out ok with Scott choosing Nush (So there was another girl with Tania) Sissy and Steph had been in the week prior plus Steph and Ray both got their q's wrong. The maximum winners would been about 9 I think, so there was potential for one to be sat in the house on their own. Sissy kicked up a bit of a sulk about it though.
  • That was a very high intensity task with the Bell Ringing. I'm not sure if I am familar with whatever name of the song they did, but they ended up winning a consolation meal after failing AGAIN. It was funny Jon was actually part of the few who stuffed up.
  • Nominations were a bit wild again - Jon not fking around and going for the 'this might be unpopular, but because she's vegan and her shopping items cost could be allocated elsewhere' angle then BB asks if theres any other reasons 'What would you like me to say, She's ginger, shes from liverpool...' 😅 Also Gos is pretty Shite at nominating atm, very withdrawn and clams right up and cant articulate very well grasping at straws. Its a 3 way vote this week.
  • Things I found interesting, from the Chef on BBLB, Olive oil as a subsitute for butter in mashed potato? hmm. Also Hair Straighteners use gas cylinders? that was a whole thing between the girls.
  • Fed getting himself into a bit of strife, clashing with Ray and again in the boys room with a few comments and projections regarding women that are coming off a bit sexist and also a bit perhaps owing to his age, the way he's framing some of it (such as trying to clarify himself that he dosent hate women and they can do anything, but he 'dosent have to respect them') and trying to put up a front like he's unaffected by others perceptions of him (inviting the prospect of being booed when he gets out because as least he's thought of to elicit a reaction in people whether positive or negative.
  • I thought that Fed was a good chance to go, but was a little surprised with Sissy there. Another girl, which is another thing along with the repeated task failures that is really starting to play on their minds.
  • The Week 4 Live Task - Charades. Well gee that was a bit of a mess as well wasnt it. and guess who - Yup, FED lol. He kinda redeemed himself by putting up for the gamble wildcard charade to get Cameron in.
  • Bohemian Rhapsody was a very difficult pick, maybe breaking down to the 'Rap' part but they each had sweet f all time to open the envelope, show BB (very blurry and might as well have let us guess/put onscreen at the end of their turn - as I did with Tania's I was thinking 'Vase'? no what song has that in the title and you wouldn't necessarily drink from there OH! Genie In A Bottle), run to Jon and then act it out with what 40 seconds each.
  • - less with Fed's stuff up - which BB didn't extend for them and also they let him basically give it away to Jon slide (how the hell would he have got Shrek otherwise from the barely anything Fed acted). Steph did well to explain Buffy from the bum clue and not the Vampire part very quickly. I remember playing charades way back and how hard it was to get across something like 'Legally Blonde' using the title or parts thereof and not resorting to things from the movie like the 'bend and snap'. LOL.
  • I suppose though that on the other hand did add a bit of a chaotic random element to it though as well and inevitably was a high chance someone/few would miss out. Jon could've easily rigged it for himself if he really wanted to and not guessed any right, but it would've probably been super obvious and caused a massive issue. Anyway again it kinda worked out ok and fairly fair in the end based on who was in how many times before.
  • Its interesting how they've managed to spruce up the theme of the Rewards room each week so far as well.
  • Looks like theres some sort of mad dash and dress up when the buzzer sounds task this week.

Last edited:
BB4 isn't as bad as history might suggest but god, the live tasks were awful - especially compared to FNL which I think launched the same year and of course the sort of tasks BBUSA were doing at the time - which were on a much smaller scale than they are now but still far more entertaining.

BB4 isn't as bad as history might suggest but god, the live tasks were awful - especially compared to FNL which I think launched the same year and of course the sort of tasks BBUSA were doing at the time - which were on a much smaller scale than they are now but still far more entertaining.
FNL didn’t start until 2005. 2003 was the year BBAU did the two house twist.

Back