Skip to main content

BB/CBB UK - Rewatch discussions

BBUK3 Housemates:
  • Sunita: I thought she had potential, One wonders though as well how close she was to being put up for nom in that first Housemate voted eviction, or perhaps been nominated for the first public voted eviction the following week. She had the first confrontation of the season, and the first of what would be many housemate clashes involving Jade, with that heated discussion about drugs. She may have also copped nominations for 'not wanting to be here and wants to go home'. As mentioned I thought it was cool she came back (with the Sandy puppet in tow and got to speak to Davina) on the Finale. Iirc in the where are they now I found she became a lawyer as she was aiming towards so go her.
  • Lynne: She was marked for nomination as soon as she let herself get loose and drunk (walking in on PJ, calling Spencer out), and judging by the public nominations vote, she may well have gone when Alison did. I think had she stayed longer she might have got on well with Jonny and possibly filled a bit of the role Sophie had with him in the latter weeks when both were nominated on the poor side (and judging from her support of him in the finale) but thats further down the line and a lot of spec as she left so early in the piece. She seemed fun though.
  • Alison: She was a ringleader for most of her 2 weeks in there and pretty funny. Maybe as some had mentioned a little too much too soon perhaps, but She also just had the tough end of the stick with that insanely close eviction result. Who knows if the outcome may have been the same had it just been herself and Alex up without Sandy maybe splitting the vote bewteen him and Alex. But also it would have been interesting to see how she would have fared during the Rich/Poor weeks and also how her and Kate's allyship would have developed if she stayed a bit longer. Anyhow, she looks to have done very well for herself post BB as a staple on UK TV.
  • Sandy: It all became a bit much for him didn't it. At first he did have a bit of an endearing 'Dad' type role in the house with Spencer and Alex, then he just got frustrated over some niggly things like using all the sugar for Lee's cake, and storming off during the Chinese/Thai dinner vote for Sophie's arrival. Then he got drunk, peed in the bin, and went 'Plan C' and oh boy, was that a spectacular exit. Over the wall. during the middle of the 25 minutes of World Cup match action they won to watch. LOL.
    How all that ended (along with the moment he told Jonny he was leaving and what he really thought of him) cast him in a bit of a villainous light by the end of the series in the memory of the crowd (and also declining to return for the finale but apologizing for the bin pee thing). I think if he stayed he would've eventually been up again and the entertainment value of him losing his shit (if not slightly unethical by that point) may have dried up a bit. He was starting to talk to Adele a fair bit during that first rich/poor week, maybe also helped bring out Alex's petty and whiney side while he was there and teamed up with him.

• Lee: What a circus with that love triangle that wasn't, but was, but wasnt again, but was... lol. I thought him going when he did was right about the right timing though at the time, He had some funny moments but it was mainly that big maybe showmance/'but he has a gf!' So does she!' that was his major story in the house.
    OTOH it allowed Adele and Sophie to open up their game and place in the house with him being the focal point of their storylines thus far. Although in hindsight by season end you could say it also led to Adele getting tied up with Alex and Jade, and Sophie starting to become more on the outer with a few members of the house. Anyhow I saw that Lee and Sophie Married and also had a baby together before divorcing, Kinda Thomas and Claire BB1 esque.
  • Spencer: Probably the shock eviction of the season. As I mentioned I was gearing up thinking with the seemingly mass popularity rating Spencer had it might have been an easy win for him and Alex putting PJ offside in his Rich side choice would be Alex's downfall. As PJ later said Spencer told him part of his keeping to himself and being a bit quiet and lazy initially (which I noticed) was partly that he was overwhelmed, but soon enough he did start coming out of his shell a bit more and being a bit of a cheeky lad. Being on the poor side twice in a row did start to mellow him a little perhaps as he just knuckled down and got on with it, so we dont know how his entertainment value may have bounced back a little had he got back on the rich side or indeed if he wouldve gone back to lounging around a bit more over there as well (later on in his return appearances on BBLB as I mentioned he wavered in and out of seeming a little blase, then switching into having a fairly well put opinion on some things that were being discussed. Also had a few comedic moments there. But in the moment at that point of the season Alex was also cuasing some friction so keeping him in too see what he would do next was also an interesting option. Anyways Spencer had some moments.
  • Sophie: I thought she came across pretty switched on, assertive and easy going about the experience. I liked how calmly she was explaining and attempting to settle down something Jade was going on about (was it after the big 'Verucca' argument between Jade and Adele). and I think how some of them were bitching about her during that week she was nominated was a bit much, but she handled it well and was still able to clear the air before she left. She also got on really well with Kate and Johnny and as I mentioned had some comedic moments there, after Lee had left and she had to come into her own a bit more. Also at that time As I mentioned I thought She had more staying power than Tim, who seemed to be still assessing the house as a bystander in most of his scenes in the edit, but then the bitching happened and she got nominated. An interesting Intruder once she came back out of the shadow of being buddied up with Lee.

• Adele: I feel she could've maybe lasted a bit longer had she not got herself so caught up in Lee, and then Alex and Jade on the Rich side. Also I think she came across unsure of herself at times with not a lot of confidence in herself, and in regards to her sexuality and how it was viewed by others, also admitting to being a virgin.

This being 2002 climate, and also see PJ's reaction to finding out Adele had a bisexual relationship on the outside from Alex after Adele had been evicted, in perhaps a fascinated kinda fetishized way ('oh we could've had some interesting talks about that!'). I thought I heard on one of the mid season BBLB that it was revealed or suggested by a paper or something that Alex was or was rumoured to be Bi as well? if true that couldve been an interesting discussion but regardless no matter.

I think getting involved in the arguments with Jade and cosying up to Alex on the rich side may have slightly exacerbated te perecption of her trying to play the game and being seen as two faced as well. There was also the dynamic of that particular eviction, iirc she was one of the lower slots and if it had just been Jade and Jonny that may have been a game changer, but thats the way it went down (it was been Adele and Jade as it was, Kate and Jonny only recieved around 1% of the vote each).

Overall I think she was fairly level headed and would've been great to see her be just a little bit more sure of herslef in some aspects. I see she's also another that has had a bit of ongoing spotlight post BB - as a radio DJ and even appearing on I'm A Celeb... in 2019.
  • PJ: I thought he was under the radar in the first half. He probably could’ve lasted another week or even made it into the final week depending on that random nominee lineup in week 7. He had had enough though and was ready to go by that point, the message from home capping it off.
  • I think he had a few insecure and at times thinly sexist outlook moments, like mentioning Alex was acting like a woman when he was nagging and whining, also feeling like he looked wussy for crying on tv at the video message. He also got really self conscious about the doona dancing moment and desperately backpedaling away from her clinginess in the middle there.
  • He also cottoned onto Adele’s supposed game plan of going around speaking to everyone and also Jade’s tendency to do the same, but from more of a dose gf remember what she’s said to people way than being smarter than let’s on and playing them off each other way, resulting in him having a talking to her at one point. I did warm to him a little in the latter weeks though.

Last edited:
Tim: at first I thought he was very quiet in the edit, taking things in as a bystander in some scenes and finding his footing, often with a slightly derpy look on his face. One of his first major moments was the hilariously bad attempt to code speak the FIFA World Cup results and copping it from BB. Then he started coming out of his shell after being on the poor side and becoming more of a buddy with Kate directly after Spencer left.

I think he ended up as a hm who may have filled Sandy’s place in some kinda similar ways, such as feeling some of the others carry on was a bit performative and ‘pantomime’ and a bit beneath him.

You saw it when he would go off by himself (was it the massive pillow fight and all the clean up in the room the others were having for example), or the infamous contact lenses ‘Comprehende!?’ Moment.

Nonetheless, there were still times he joined in. He also had some emotional moments, triggered by seeing his own family in the background of the week 7 video message for pj and Kate, and receiving the short call from home in week 8. He was also a good sport on BBLB with ginger watch and going for the blonde touch up, and explaining himself well regarding his aim was to get in first then see what happens.

I thought I also heard somewhere on BBLB that his girlfriend had dumped him? Must’ve had that mixed up as it seems everything was still fine with the gf at seasons end. Hmm.

Jade: she was a character. Some of the tirades and arguments she had were a bit much, but she also had that comedic quality. From Chipstick, to the verruca, some funny liners.

Jonny definitely lost patience with her, there was the day 55 big blowup where he shouted at her from the pool, and also the last day one where he said maybe he would’ve chosen Lynne to stay. Spencer got on with her, Alex also had some mixed moments.

As mentioned she may have also gone if it was only her and Jonny in that week Adele left. Amongst her naive moments she did also have some of fair maturity though as well, sometimes in the diary room.

Sadly she’s no longer with us, but also will see her return in CBB5 which was a controversial one I’ve heard about. Also see that she was in some of same audition sessions as Kate.

Alex: he had a bit of a dynamic run as well. After the first two weeks where I think as mentioned teaming up with sandy may have helped bring out the worst in him and his cattier side (after Alison’s eviction, also not being in the mood to speak with Kate or Jonny (wee gate) and getting all wound up, he mellowed and settled down a bit in the poor side.

Then of course he won rich side twice in a row, which made him a bit of a clique leader with Adele and Jade. Later after Adele leaves he confides in Tim, and then has a bit of reflection at the end.

There were a few moments that he could’ve gone earlier as mentioned, but he managed to get through to the end. He started to get a bit more irritable again in that final week, however still had fun moments like his couch stack or behind the door lip syncing ‘that’s the way I like it’

I read that he may have done a cleaning product advert, and also dated BB1’s Melanie briefly after the show ended.

Jonny: started out the clown of the show, but then towards the middle had a bit of a lull, also being accused of playing to the cameras all the time and being very aware of things, Early example of being looked down on for playing the game you could say. He did say he was perhaps holding a few things back by going for time out in toilet on occasion or something.

At first I thought he might’ve been Irish with that accent, but it’s Geordie. Haha. I think after the first eviction he survived against Lee was when that shift started to creep in. He also got on really well with Sophie and Kate of course as mentioned.

Kate: I think she was the one that stayed out of the drama the most but was also endearing and entertaining in her own right. Spencer’s eviction as well as Alex leaving her on the poor side allowed for her to have a moment and then get on with things. Losing the task to bring the divide down early was also a sympathetic moment, but again she got on with it.

Her impressions game was on point, the American accent “HELLO HOW ARE YOUU. WERE MAKING A CAMPFIRRE” is definitely one of the lines of the season. LOL.

She also got back into some more funny moments once the divide came down. I think she’s done some tv work after BB too.

So yeah I think that’s a few points for now, on to next series!

Really interesting to read your thoughts 20 years on. Fans don't seem to look back too fondly on the divide as a twist but the ratings don't lie - it was by far the biggest rating season. Casting though played a big part of that.

Will be interesting seeing your thoughts on BB4 - often the poorer series stand up better when watched years later without everyone around you saying it's crap.

Fans don't seem to look back too fondly on the divide as a twist but the ratings don't lie - it was by far the biggest rating season. Casting though played a big part of that.
Yeah There were moments when I thought it was starting to drag a little bit and looking forward to them getting reunified, but then again you had some can't believe that wasnt scripted stuff like the Week 6 Task falling into place the way it did, postponing the end of the Divide for one last week, and having Tim on Rich all by himself with 6 on the poor side. It also as I mentioned drove some interesting dynamics in those middle weeks of the Season I thought.

Started CBBUK2 (Nov 2002).

Ok so I definitely Know Mark Owen by association to Take That (he had probably the most creative intro video of the 6 of them as well with some Cinderella roleplay haha) and 'Goldie' who appeared in the Bond movie 'The World Is Not Enough' (1999).

Sue Perkins and Les Dennis seem vaguely familar too. Sue is part of a comedy duo, (Davina mentioned Dawn French wasnt approached as rumoured).

Ah the beds being 'Un-made' in Bedroom 1 meaning the beds are literally Un-assembled. They're all helping each other do some IKEA style magic. What might've been funnier is not telling them which bedroom was which and making them pick or quickly game off for which side they are on before revealing it, as they mightve expected Bedroom 2 to be the 'Un-Made' side if they remember Poor Side in BB3 had Bedroom 2 and Rich Side Was Bedroom 1. Here its swapped over. But anyways.

Opening titles/logo are funny with the chickens and the Pink theme with a Star. Should be interesting.

The Live task was interesting. the rod with a hook to snag floating Ducks gave me flashbacks used to play that at arcade style things back in the day. Also Goldie with the digger was kooky (a BBLB to show how they got that in there would've been interesting? Crane and Airlifted in perhaps?) Also was that side door (in the corner Sandy climbed) lit up like that during BB3?

He managed to pick up 3 baskets in one go at one point, but then at the end I thought BB might've warned not to dig up the backyard too much as he tried to use the remaining time to try picking up the stuff that fell out of the shopping baskets, but maybe it was in an ok place and stuff, scraped one bit of dirt. Anyways at least they got the Loo Roll and most of the shopping they ordered.

Later Goldie was reading an Empire magazine, funny there was a few intraconnections here and of the future too, The cover was about Bond (Die Another Day would've been premiering that month) and discussing if anyones seen the movie 28 Days Later which was also just come out then. Robert Carlyle whom Goldie was in TWINE with was in the 2007 Sequel 28 Weeks Later, and Naomie Harris would later be in the Daniel Craig Bond Films.

Christopher Eccleston was also in 28 Days Later, and earlier the Celeb Housemates were discussing favourite Doctor Who's. The series would be rebooted with him as the Ninth Doctor in a couple years in 2005. Also with Mark, Take That were in their inbetween times before they had a comeback in 2006, and Robbie Williams was at a peak, having just dropped Escapology at the time as well.

Melinda gave Sue a bit of a makeup job after she tried on her dress, Anne doing some cycling and talking about it being strange to be having a holiday from the outside and different daily routines in the outside.

Some of the noms reasons were lol 'He's too good at Connect Four' and some thrown Les' way for flatulence and boasting about it. It's Goldie and Les up. there was a 4 way tie before the final 2 nominations.

A behind the scenes VT from the final C4 episode. Relatively spoiler free other than footage of a couple of quitters.

Interestingly Davina liked my comment on how the eviction shows were much better pre-BB5 when they regularly featured Davina going behind the scenes in the camera runs, locked rooms in the house and the gallery.

A behind the scenes VT from the final C4 episode. Relatively spoiler free other than footage of a couple of quitters.

Interestingly Davina liked my comment on how the eviction shows were much better pre-BB5 when they regularly featured Davina going behind the scenes in the camera runs, locked rooms in the house and the gallery.
It’s obvious given the number of times BB11 went “behind the scenes” that production acknowledged it was something that had been lacking in the leading series. So given that ITV’s vision for BB is going to be somewhat of a ‘back to basics’ series I wouldn’t be surprised if these elements saw a return.

CBBUK2: Up to Ep 6 now, just passed the first eviction (Goldie). Theyre doing a fuller live episode this time with Davina only they come out the side door (which is why it was lit up, answering my earlier question). Goldie leaving will leave a bit of a personality gap, but being nominated has brought Les out of himself a bit more, so that'll be interesting to watch It was a closely matched eviction as well.

They failed the patchwork quilt task so no party on that night. There were some interesting discussions in the topics night about celebrity relationships and stuff.

The next live task will be a quiz and the Loser will have to be the sole nominator of 2 HMs for the next eviction!

I should be set to finish CBB2 in the next Day or two, (pretty much exactly 20 years since it aired). I'm Up to the episode after the last Nominations.

So last time I left off my comments at Goldie's Eviction. Les got none right on the quiz, so was the one to Nominate Sue and Anne. Tough call but hey, it gets him safe for that round of nominations! He played a mock 'Family Fortunes' (Feud) with Mark on Take That trivia. They also had an 80's party. It seemed to be another close eviction with Anne leaving.

Final Nominations were interesting too. Theres an air of 'Melinda is too nice' in the eviction interviews and now she is the only one to escape the nominations rounds this season and will be untried with the public vote going into the Finale. If Sue had voted for Les and not Mark, It would have been her Mark and Melinda up. Will be interesting to see if She can beat out Mark, who like Melinda, was the last this season yet to face the public vote.

Onto the last few episodes.

Finished CBBUK2.

The last few tasks were funny like the soap opera as each other (Les as Melinda was lol) and the pantomime (Les talking about some of our Aussie soapie stars who like to go over there and do pantos from time to time). The Photo story on the final day was good they were good Artists to quickly sketch that final frame in place of the last photo off the printer. Also Les drawing out of a bag himself to give himself the 'gift to a housemate' for the panto task was funny. The Assault Course with the lasers was good too to get 2 messages from home.Also was that big swinging chair in the garden there in BB3?

Overall I think they nailed and streamlined the Celebity version a bit more down pat compared to the first edition, with proper eviction interviews, live tasks and extending the days by a couple. The casting was a good mix too.

I Think when it comes backafter a break that is when it might extend the number of Hms a little more to say 10ish? and also number of days to be more like the Celebity Version Australia would've just had in 2002 at 3ish weeks. Although It will be interesting to see how BB4's initial reception might have factored into them resting it until after BB5 (though isnt that where instead they put 'Teen BB' slotted in chronologically in its place?)
Anyways some of my final overall thoughts on the season fit into the Housemate write ups:

Goldie: He was definitely the loudest and most in your face personality compared to most of the others in the initial episodes. He as I mentioned brought Les a bit more out once they were nommed together. It would've been interesting had he stayed if he would've continued to really be at the forefront of goings on.

Anne Diamond: She was a bit of a mother role in the house, had a few interesting stories to tell as well. It was the closest eviction of the series (at a 50.something percent) but ultimately I preferred Sue to stay (and was rooting for her to get to the final and or win).

Sue Perkins: Towards the end I thought in terms of entertainment value imo I would've liked to see a Sue and Les final 2. She had some funny moments) of course being a comedian) but also some pensive moments with a side of actual gameplay thrown in (having a rota to 'fairly' distribute her nominations but then thinking that was a bit of a bad move strategically on reflection.

Melinda Messenger: She gained the nickname 'Darth Vader' and being like a 'Vulcan' for the experience not phasing her much and like she was holding back and too 'nice/perfect' at times.

I think she just saw the process for what it was and knew what she was in for. Also it just being a shorter Celeb version run she escaped nomination and didnt have quite as much of a journey through that particular aspect as some of the others, even in that short amount of days spent in the house (and Sue and Les commented and had a discussion with her about it too) but at the same time feeling it but not letting herself be drawn up in too much of a tizzy over it and its only a game.

OTOH it also meant she didnt have as mentioned quite as much of a presence on the arcs of the show until it was literally down to the last day or two and she had a few stories and things that were shown (such as her message from home, and the discussion with Les about starting being a page 3 newspaper girl or whatever).

Last edited:
Les Dennis: Had a really interesting arc being nominated, then having to be the sole nominator of the 2nd eviction, also providing quite a few comedic moments and backstories about Celebrity existence. Interesting I'm not sure if I knew that the 'Amanda' he was married to was Amanda Holden (whom I'm familiar with from Britain's Got Talent judging) until right near the end (was she present at the first eviction or in the crowd at the beginning)? didnt quite click until then for me. I thought he was entertaining, kinda alos reminded me a little of Louis Walsh in looks and some of his mannerisms but with a different accent.

Mark Owen: He was a bit quiet in the beginning, but also to his credit he did have a few random comedic moments from the start on the side (Wasting away with the clothes on the chair and kneeling behind it to appeal to BB for some extra stuff), especially towards the last 2 episodes (Putting the panto cow head on and standing in the pool randomly for example) and some other bits of stories and anecdotes.
We even got a guitar and singing moment in those final episodes. It made me wonder whether his appearance and win helped boost his profile again as it had been 6 years since his solo album came out, and it looks that by the next year he released his second. As I mentioned before Robbie Williams was at the time in a really peak period of his solo career and Im a bit rusty on what the rest of Take That were doing at the time (it would still be a couple years before they reformed for a comeback album). Anyway he was a bit wowed by winning and got a bit emotional alone in the house a little bit. He got on well with Sue and Les.

So that's that one done. Next will begin BBUK4 (2003) in a little bit!

I do have a soft spot for CBB2 - housemate action wise it's on the quiet side but I do like how it was produced and presented, especially how the look was linked to BB3 but still completely unique thanks to a change in colour scheme.

... especially how the look was linked to BB3 but still completely unique thanks to a change in colour scheme.

Speaking of colour schemes I've started BBUK4 (2003) and , for a season where the logo is a Rainbow Eye, some of the rounded soft aesthetics and muted pastel kinda colours inside the house are a bit of a choice compared to BB3 haha.

We are back to a more in your face style Diary room, which opens off to the right hand side this time. The Kitchen has swapped sides, and the bedrooms are next to each other (Davina says they can choose wherever they want to sleep dosent have to be boys and girls, Me, thinking yeah right like its not gonna end up that way but we'll see and sure enough LOL as they promptly split off and plonk themselves on the beds when the bedrooms unlock. Haha).

The Living area and backyard has shrunk by about a third, and you can see that wave looking wall is on the side of the pool where the deck, Out side shower, BBQ and chicken coop was last season. The Staircase is also enclosed and shut off by a door, with the top of the stairs no longer being double swing doors but sliding pull aparts. It's going to be interesting to watch how the first eviction works, whether that has any effect on being able to hear intelligible crowd noise from outside. some sort of Air lock at the very top might've been an idea unless they close off the bottom before the evictee heads outside.

The Housemates, Hey We know Anouska! I wonder if there'll be a behind the scenes of the audtions process this time too (or whether it'll be picked up by BBLB perhaps), cause that casting room would be definitely interesting with some of the picks they've made that are like pairs, I can picture it like 'Hey wouldnt it just be hilarious this year if we have two housemates with the name name, but instead of using a very different name (ala Marty BBAU02, Saxon BBAU03 or even the 3 Michaels from BBAU06), we just go with their shortened nickname ('Nush' = Anouska), which the other housemate also has been called by previously!'.

And then putting in not one but 2 housemates who are one half of a set of twins! (Like later that happened in BBAU2013 with Matt and Ed). Not to mention Justine and Tania, also Jon and Ray are giving me similar vibes just based on first impression glance at look alone.

And then... throw in TWO Scottish guys this year (Cameron and Federico), only get this, one of them is also Italian background with that accent! My word. Haha. Scott talking about finding a new direction and where he wants to be work wise, heading into the BB house as something to do reminded me a little bit of Thomas from BB1. Steph seems fun, and idk whatever was going on with Sissy at the end of the Launch part 2 there, she was making some cry faces and also hugging Tania a bit. There were also some bit emotional farewells on the outside with the F&F with some of them going in there.

Anyways Interesting flip on the first night twist from last season. It would've been a guaranteed at least 2 nominated if everyone unanimously nominated Anouska, but it was also cool to see a few more names get thrown in there to end up with four nominees. Onto the first Daily show now.

You'll see for myself but being an old school fan I do think BB4 is the only time they ever came close to the eviction set up they had at Bow. I do think that added separation between the house and the crowd just makes all the difference in emphasising the "cut off from the outside world" idea.

I also really liked the eviction set up for CBB2 - just simple and showed you didn't need an outdoor crowd if the studio wasn't too far away.

You'll see for myself but being an old school fan I do think BB4 is the only time they ever came close to the eviction set up they had at Bow. I do think that added separation between the house and the crowd just makes all the difference in emphasising the "cut off from the outside world" idea.

I also really liked the eviction set up for CBB2 - just simple and showed you didn't need an outdoor crowd if the studio wasn't too far away.
As much as that’s true nothing compares to the HM’s walking out of the house directly in to the pandemonium of the eviction crowd. Nikki’s original eviction is a perfect example of this.

That said I think a good compromise would be having the main entrance/exit in the garden.

Especially if the new house had a BBAU sized yard… I think the long walk through the garden and up the stairs would add a bit of drama building up to the HM’s grand exit.

They kind of experimented with that in a way occassionally when they had the lounge in the garden separate from the main house in a couple of series so the evictee had to walk through the house alone to exit which somewhat had the same effect, but I could see what you suggest working, especially if at the point of exit the evictee can see both the housemates and the crowd.

Remains to be seen what set up we have for the crowd in the new version and whether they switch to a studio set up. I'm not against an outdoor crowd, but think the show needs to be largely anchored from an indoor studio in the way it was from BB1-BB4 rather than anchoring it amongst a baying mob. Indeed I've always felt the crowd were incorporated better in the early series where Davina would talk to people in the crowd prior to the eviction, during the countdown and at the end of the show rather than just present in front of them. And of course the evictee would usually, but not always, go back out to meet the crowd - something the studio set up meant was abandoned midway through the C4 run, though the C5 studio did allow it (think they were usually sent towards their family inside instead though).

Back