Skip to main content

Australian Survivor Ratings

There is always a swap to even out the numbers.
And that is why I was so surprised. I was absolutely certain at 14 they would do exactly that, but they didn't. US Survivor would have for sure.

Sorry, really should stick to ratings discussion in this thread though.

And that is why I was so surprised. I was absolutely certain at 14 they would do exactly that, but they didn't. US Survivor would have for sure.

Sorry, really should stick to ratings discussion in this thread though.
Yeah, agree about keeping this for ratings. Sorry if I was off track.

Thanks so much for the graph!

I am so looking forward to see the ratings from next week. I hope they are good and trend up as the Block seems to be doing.

Yeah, agree about keeping this for ratings. Sorry if I was off track.

Thanks so much for the graph!

I am so looking forward to see the ratings from next week. I hope they are good and trend up as the Block seems to be doing.
Cheers! I'll post a new graph after each Tuesday's ratings become available. It was interesting to see the relationship between The Block and Survivor's ratings and how they are trending. I'll draw a trend line on both next time. Looks like they both trended down until about 4 Sep and then started recovering.

I still think Survivor will recover after the merge. I did predict a million viewers for (or by) the finale. That''ll be a tough call! :) Suffice to say they would be wise not to schedule it for a Sunday.

Regarding costs for shows like Masterchef, I was thinking of US Masterchef which is 13 episodes or so. I still think Surivor costs more but again, flying people to pacific islands is a lot closer from Australia!
It is worth remembering that the island is basically a Survivor set now used by multiple versions of the show over the years with a regular production crew almost certainly in place, so it's probably not as costly as you might imagine. 26 shows has been too many though - even 20-22 would have got more mileage out of it with the 24 contestants, but meant no non-elimination episodes.

I think to place the ratings for Aus Survivor - a new show and a totally new idea and format for many people who have not watched since they vaguely scanned season one and wondered why there was so much footage of people eating rice in the dark and nice people getting voted out etc - against the ratings of US Survivor would give some answers to some of these questions about why it isn't rating better.

For the last several years regular Survivor has been shown on Go! and I gotta tell ya folks it gets about 29,000 viewers, and that's once a week. That's my memory of the figures, at any rate, from a mention in a blog on TV tonight. It never has the faintest chance of hitting the lowest place on the top twenty shows ratings charts. So it's not as if the feverish fans of Survivor over here were so great in number, to begin with.

I do get this show offends or bores or irritates some purists, but it is on three nights a week - it's a different version of the show - and considering it is new to the bulk of viewers it is not doing so badly overall. I am hoping it will build - as Ten's previous new high-risk reality shows have built towards the end - and come back in its renewed season with more comfortable figures.

Oh, and US Survivor, back in the days when it was screened on 9 about ten years ago, before multichannels, when they played it late at night and screwed it around the schedule - it was rating circa 55,000 at best. Aagain from memory.

I think to place the ratings for Aus Survivor - a new show and a totally new idea and format for many people who have not watched since they vaguely scanned season one and wondered why there was so much footage of people eating rice in the dark and nice people getting voted out etc - against the ratings of US Survivor would give some answers to some of these questions about why it isn't rating better.

For the last several years regular Survivor has been shown on Go! and I gotta tell ya folks it gets about 29,000 viewers, and that's once a week. That's my memory of the figures, at any rate, from a mention in a blog on TV tonight. It never has the faintest chance of hitting the lowest place on the top twenty shows ratings charts. So it's not as if the feverish fans of Survivor over here were so great in number, to begin with.

I do get this show offends or bores or irritates some purists, but it is on three nights a week - it's a different version of the show - and considering it is new to the bulk of viewers it is not doing so badly overall. I am hoping it will build - as Ten's previous new high-risk reality shows have built towards the end - and come back in its renewed season with more comfortable figures.

Just checked the ratings for the last season of survivor on Go!. It generally rated around the 140-150k mark. With the finale getting 194k. Those numbers rose to 230-250k with seven day consolidated viewing. So much higher than 29k.

Just checked the ratings for the last season of survivor on Go!. It generally rated around the 140-150k mark. With the finale getting 194k. Those numbers rose to 230-250k with seven day consolidated viewing. So much higher than 29k.
Yeah I read Melore's post and I thought that couldn't possibly be right.

Some stuff in here relevant to the ratings thread:

DIEHARD fans say it’s the best show you’re not watching in Australian television.
Despite the accolades from fans and critics alike, Australian Survivor hasn’t been setting the TV ratings world on fire, with some wondering if Channel Ten’s revival of the Aussie format can survive for a second season.
But with the network’s head of Entertainment and Factual Programs Stephen Tate poised to chat with the creators of the franchise today to discuss the show being aired more widely overseas, Ten seems content that the show is hitting all the marks it needs to, and then some.
“New Zealand has already taken it — they pretty much go day/date with this series, and Samoa has taken it and they are excited to see their backyard,” Tate said.
“There is interest from several other international markets and we are due to talk with Castaway (Parson’s Castaway Television productions, which hold the rights to the franchises worldwide) to discuss those opportunities further”.
It’s a global vote of confidence in the product, which Ten insists is “tracking exactly as hoped” in the younger 25 to 54-year-old demographic the network chases.
With average five-city viewer numbers of 741,000 the show may not be winning timeslots outright, but Tate said it is scoring where it matters.
“People are watching, they are just watching on multiple platforms,” he said.
Survivor dropped to a season low of 686,000 viewers in five cities on Sunday, but nobody at the network is pressing the panic button.
“Absolutely from our point of view it is working,” says Tate, pointing to catch-up viewing, Twitter trends and digital viewing figures which the network treasures.
“It’s actually tracking well ahead of the first season of The Bachelor and also the first season of I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here Australia.
“:And look what a powerhouse The Bachelor is now. The thing is that at Ten we know that we need to stick with brands and support them.”
6de0e037b05007c56646990fe7a03fbc

The tribe (or at least, the under-55s demographic) has spoken. Picture: Supplied by Channel TenSource:Channel 10
The average capital city audience as the show airs may be 741,000, but that grows to and average of 768,000 when online catch-ups are included, he said.
And in that crucial 25 to 54 age group, the first nine episodes of Survivor lifted Ten’s share of the timeslot by 38% compared to the same nights last year.
And 81 per cent of the show’s viewers are under 55 years old, compared to 71% of reality show rival Zumbo’s Just Desserts and 71% for The Block, according to Ten figures.
“And Survivor is number two in its timeslot across the capital cities in 25 to 54s.”
Reality series in general tend to get about five per cent additional viewers on catch-up viewing, but Tate said Survivor has been getting 14 and 15 per cent “which is extraordinary”.
Digital views via Tenplay have allow exceeded 3.3 million — again indicative of the younger demographic the network chases.
“Where we are most competitive is exactly where we want to be,” Tate said.
While its ratings have been softer than for Seven and Nine’s offerings, Australian Survivor has generated significant buzz on social media. On debut it was the number one entertainment program on Twitter during its broadcast, with #SurvivorAU trending at number three on Twitter worldwide and number one in Australia.
Tate said kudos like that, and social media presence were among the things networks look for when they commission — it boosts both advertising prospects and word-of-moth growth for the shows.
“This is why shows like Bachelor and Celebrity and, we will see, Survivor, grow. Social media is at the forefront of that,” he said.
While Ten won’t publicly commit to a second season — that news will likely to be saved for the network’s unveiling of its 2017 programming in early November.
The ratings may be soft, but Survivor’s fans have spoken.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...n/news-story/8673c0884d92386c8c6ca6504e9b226d

Some stuff in here relevant to the ratings thread:

DIEHARD fans say it’s the best show you’re not watching in Australian television.
Despite the accolades from fans and critics alike, Australian Survivor hasn’t been setting the TV ratings world on fire, with some wondering if Channel Ten’s revival of the Aussie format can survive for a second season.
But with the network’s head of Entertainment and Factual Programs Stephen Tate poised to chat with the creators of the franchise today to discuss the show being aired more widely overseas, Ten seems content that the show is hitting all the marks it needs to, and then some.
“New Zealand has already taken it — they pretty much go day/date with this series, and Samoa has taken it and they are excited to see their backyard,” Tate said.
“There is interest from several other international markets and we are due to talk with Castaway (Parson’s Castaway Television productions, which hold the rights to the franchises worldwide) to discuss those opportunities further”.
It’s a global vote of confidence in the product, which Ten insists is “tracking exactly as hoped” in the younger 25 to 54-year-old demographic the network chases.
With average five-city viewer numbers of 741,000 the show may not be winning timeslots outright, but Tate said it is scoring where it matters.
“People are watching, they are just watching on multiple platforms,” he said.
Survivor dropped to a season low of 686,000 viewers in five cities on Sunday, but nobody at the network is pressing the panic button.
“Absolutely from our point of view it is working,” says Tate, pointing to catch-up viewing, Twitter trends and digital viewing figures which the network treasures.
“It’s actually tracking well ahead of the first season of The Bachelor and also the first season of I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here Australia.
“:And look what a powerhouse The Bachelor is now. The thing is that at Ten we know that we need to stick with brands and support them.”
6de0e037b05007c56646990fe7a03fbc

The tribe (or at least, the under-55s demographic) has spoken. Picture: Supplied by Channel TenSource:Channel 10
The average capital city audience as the show airs may be 741,000, but that grows to and average of 768,000 when online catch-ups are included, he said.
And in that crucial 25 to 54 age group, the first nine episodes of Survivor lifted Ten’s share of the timeslot by 38% compared to the same nights last year.
And 81 per cent of the show’s viewers are under 55 years old, compared to 71% of reality show rival Zumbo’s Just Desserts and 71% for The Block, according to Ten figures.
“And Survivor is number two in its timeslot across the capital cities in 25 to 54s.”
Reality series in general tend to get about five per cent additional viewers on catch-up viewing, but Tate said Survivor has been getting 14 and 15 per cent “which is extraordinary”.
Digital views via Tenplay have allow exceeded 3.3 million — again indicative of the younger demographic the network chases.
“Where we are most competitive is exactly where we want to be,” Tate said.
While its ratings have been softer than for Seven and Nine’s offerings, Australian Survivor has generated significant buzz on social media. On debut it was the number one entertainment program on Twitter during its broadcast, with #SurvivorAU trending at number three on Twitter worldwide and number one in Australia.
Tate said kudos like that, and social media presence were among the things networks look for when they commission — it boosts both advertising prospects and word-of-moth growth for the shows.
“This is why shows like Bachelor and Celebrity and, we will see, Survivor, grow. Social media is at the forefront of that,” he said.
While Ten won’t publicly commit to a second season — that news will likely to be saved for the network’s unveiling of its 2017 programming in early November.
The ratings may be soft, but Survivor’s fans have spoken.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...n/news-story/8673c0884d92386c8c6ca6504e9b226d

...aw man that is so good to read that!... it will definitely be renewed after reading that methinks!... thanks so much for posting that Melore... I would so hate to see it cancelled after it getting me so hooked on the series as a first timer... I would've been spitting chunks big time... woohoo!... that is so good!... cheers.

Yesterday's ratings (Sunday) - and no surprise Ten had a Barry (but at least they beat John Howard):

THE BLOCK -SUN Nine 1,166,000
THE BIG MUSIC QUIZ Seven 842,000
AUSTRALIAN SURVIVOR SUN TEN 568,000
HOWARD ON MENZIES: BUILDING MODERN AUSTRALIA-EV ABC 560,000

...for the life of me I just don't understand the fascination with viewers on watching 'The Block'?... are there any of us on here that actually watch that show?... if so could you please tell me what is so good about it?... it is so friggin' boring to see people fixing up houses or whatever...as boring as shit!... and as for 'The Big Music Quiz'... it's all been done with 'Rockwiz' for years before now so that show is so old-hat yet this crap show that has popped up and beat 'Survivor' too makes me just scratch my head in disbelief... 'Survivor' has so much going for it... call me 'baffled'... cheers.

Last night's ratings (Monday) were skewed by Seven's broadcast of the AFL Golden Globes:

2016 AFL BROWNLOW MEDAL Seven 934,000
THE BLOCK -MON Nine 890,000
7.30-EV ABC 704,000 / AUSTRALIAN STORY-EV ABC 668,000
AUSTRALIAN SURVIVOR MON TEN 654,000

Last night's ratings (Monday) were skewed by Seven's broadcast of the AFL Golden Globes:

2016 AFL BROWNLOW MEDAL Seven 934,000
THE BLOCK -MON Nine 890,000
7.30-EV ABC 704,000 / AUSTRALIAN STORY-EV ABC 668,000
AUSTRALIAN SURVIVOR MON TEN 654,000
I know I said this before, but I think people may become less interested in the game if the producer created majority holds and the predictable people keep leaving.
I'm concerned the numbers will be dropping dramatically as the unlikable smug girls just push their way through the game. It also hurts that superficially likable people like Lee and Kylie are such bad and hypocritical players who betray the underdogs.
I'm afraid people will lose interest the next few weeks.

I'm concerned the numbers will be dropping dramatically as the unlikable smug girls just push their way through the game.
Can't really go by last night's ratings though. Last night that AFL thing on Seven stole viewers from both The Block and Survivor. And Sunday is Survivor's worst night because The Block does its room reveals.

On my graph, Survivor's trend is holding firm, even growing a smidge. I'll post the updated graph tomorrow after tonight's results are in.

OK wrapping up this week's ratings, here's Tuesday:

THE BLOCK -TUE Nine 933,000
ZUMBO’S JUST DESSERTS Seven 762,000
AUSTRALIAN SURVIVOR TUES TEN 691,000
7.30-EV ABC 650,000

Can't believe that Zumbo thing is still on, and people are still watching it.

eEIJuxs.gif

Survivor is still pretty much holding firm just under 700k so viewers are sticking with it, which is good. Shame it's not picking up a bit from water cooler chat or anything, though.

Can't believe that Zumbo thing is still on, and people are still watching it.

Survivor is still pretty much holding firm just under 700k so viewers are sticking with it, which is good. Shame it's not picking up a bit from water cooler chat or anything, though.

Dumbo has finished now. Unfortunately any shift in viewers over to Survivor is unlikely, as X Factor starts next week, on all three Survivor days.

Back