Skip to main content

Australian Survivor Ratings

Untitled-Typo

Bland
Awesome site donor
Yikes. TEN's most highly anticipated show of 2016 has finally come to our screens, and it looks like the anticipation hasn't payed off.

Up against Nine's reality reno shit show 'The Block', Australian Survivor's first episode in 10 years was watched by a soft 784,000 (5 City Metro figures, overnight) viewers, whilst executives at Nine woke up to the pleasing news that 1.07m people had watched their tired, dated, repetitive format.

Channel 7's Olympic coverage was just below Australian Survivor, with The Block winning it's time slot and Australian Survivor coming in at second.

Last night there were three new shows competing for that top spot in the ratings. Zumbo's Just a pile of Crap, The (mediocre) 'Shock' and the glorious Australian Survivor were all head to head.

Shockingly, Zumbo rated 1.08m, smashing The Block's 961,000 and Survivor's 734,000. Sadly, Australian Survivor ended in 4th place within its time slot, pipped by ABC's 7.30.

With next week set to heat up in the ratings race, can Survivor rise to its expectations and reviews, or will it fall even further.

If Australian Survivor falls below 700k we could see some serious headaches at channel TEN.

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: kxk
Oh, good, a ratings thread! As I wrote on another thread:

I'm obsessed with the ratings... From an article in the Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainm...ts-are-damn-hard-to-like-20160818-gqw0sf.html

Once you add regional viewers, Survivor's debut rises to 1.05 million, peaking at 1.35 million. Ten will be happy with this. Their challenge now is to keep this audience (and grow it, preferably).

Both programs beat Seven's In Rio Today Olympics package, which drew 755,000 city viewers. On Monday, Seven will throw a third reality show into the mix with Zumbo's Just Desserts.

Renovation, cooking ... or the show that prised open the reality floodgates? For viewers, it's a bit of light relief. For Ten –
on the upswingafter a disastrous few years – there's much more at stake.

I would prefer the show to be rating through the roof, but in fact it lost 50,000 viewers last night, going up against Zumbo. But I still think it will garner a reasonable number of viewers as the series progresses - loads of viewers are saying Zumbo was boring as hell, and those may jump ship to Ten.

Oh, good, a ratings thread! As I wrote on another thread:

I'm obsessed with the ratings... From an article in the Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainm...ts-are-damn-hard-to-like-20160818-gqw0sf.html

Once you add regional viewers, Survivor's debut rises to 1.05 million, peaking at 1.35 million. Ten will be happy with this. Their challenge now is to keep this audience (and grow it, preferably).

Both programs beat Seven's In Rio Today Olympics package, which drew 755,000 city viewers. On Monday, Seven will throw a third reality show into the mix with Zumbo's Just Desserts.

Renovation, cooking ... or the show that prised open the reality floodgates? For viewers, it's a bit of light relief. For Ten –
on the upswingafter a disastrous few years – there's much more at stake.

I would prefer the show to be rating through the roof, but in fact it lost 50,000 viewers last night, going up against Zumbo. But I still think it will garner a reasonable number of viewers as the series progresses - loads of viewers are saying Zumbo was boring as hell, and those may jump ship to Ten.

Yes, hopefully we see a drop in Zumbo's ratings meaning Survivor may gain extra audiences. The show is 10/10 and great entertainment, so i do see more people being attracted to it soon.

Zumbo's Just Desserts was AWFUL (and I'd actually been looking forward to watching it), but it was an effort to get through the whole thing. I guess it appeals to some... over the age of 60.

Zumbo's Just Desserts was AWFUL (and I'd actually been looking forward to watching it), but it was an effort to get through the whole thing. I guess it appeals to some... over the age of 60.

I haven't watched it yet. I still will, but I don't expect much having heard some of the reactions.

Was Zumbo's trying to be a dessert Masterchef? Is that why it failed or has the cast not got that wow factor?

Was Zumbo's trying to be a dessert Masterchef? Is that why it failed or has the cast not got that wow factor?
That's actually exactly what I expected (and almost hoped) it would be. Especially considering it's also on Seven.

But it was almost Masterchef-y, and bland contestants with a terribly contrived host.

I see a plethora of "cake" and dessert type shows advertised on foxtel. I think the problem lies in the fact that they invariably become art and craft competitions rather than cooking.
Look. An Eiffel tower layered with profiteroles and edible little snarky frenchmen in non-stereotypical berets.
Non-stererotypical because they are edible of course.
I prefer the Stephen Hawking cooking show. Exploring the cosmos through your stomach.
latest

Watched ZJD tonight. It's very much "Masterchef Lite". Masterchef with all the tension and excitement sucked out of it. Hosts are a problem, Zumbo is too flat, not scary at all, seems hardly even interested in it. Hence most of the hosting is actually done by Rachel Khoo, who doesn't seem to have any free reign, like even the smallest remark has been scripted. Remarks on the dishes are quite brief. And there's another girl whose basically there to shout out the hour marks, while the hosts go and play cards out the back or something for the duration of the cook.

Watched ZJD tonight. It's very much "Masterchef Lite". Masterchef with all the tension and excitement sucked out of it. Hosts are a problem, Zumbo is too flat, not scary at all, seems hardly even interested in it. Hence most of the hosting is actually done by Rachel Khoo, who doesn't seem to have any free reign, like even the smallest remark has been scripted. Remarks on the dishes are quite brief. And there's another girl whose basically there to shout out the hour marks, while the hosts go and play cards out the back or something for the duration of the cook.

That man has zero charisma. WTF was Seven thinking making this show?

I just watched episode one. I can withstand almost any of these reality shows, but god this one was a punish. "Zumbo" has zero charisma (and isn't it odd that Rachel Khoo addresses him by his last name even when standing right next to him).
The contestants were non-descript, and everything seemed so forced. It was incredibly tacky (which was probably intentional). Worse than that though, it was really boring! The lumps of slag presented by the two in the elimination did make me laugh though.

I just watched episode one. I can withstand almost any of these reality shows, but god this one was a punish. "Zumbo" has zero charisma (and isn't it odd that Rachel Khoo addresses him by his last name even when standing right next to him).
The contestants were non-descript, and everything seemed so forced. It was incredibly tacky (which was probably intentional). Worse than that though, it was really boring! The lumps of slag presented by the two in the elimination did make me laugh though.

One of the contestants called him 'Zumbo' tonight. Weird moment. Sounds like a clown name to my ears.

I am not into desserts or cakes or really sweet things, so this Zimbo show would never be on my list. Rather watch 7.30 report on ABC and see an interview with Renee Ziggie. Tuned into a bit of the Block tonight - was OK but rather see Survivor. Used to be one of those ratings people - it was a drag for like 6 years - but I wish I was doing it now!!!

Woah! This is relevant to the ratings thread:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...r/news-story/86c3a45d6028c5d83ae3d863dd510f30

NETWORK Ten will air Australian Survivor for three nights a week starting from next week, news.com.au can reveal.

The scheduling shift — which will see the reality show air Sunday, Monday and now Tuesday nights, with three contestant eliminations per week — is a proactive move in the ratings war against Seven and Nine.

Ten’s Samoa-set series will, on Tuesdays, go up against Nine’s perennial favourite The Block and on Seven, the much-hyped new entry Zumbo’s Just Desserts. While Zumbo opened with big figures on Monday night — more than a million viewers across the five capital cities — many viewers
voiced disappointment at the show on social media.

By last night’s second episode, Zumbo had fallen from third to eighth most-watched show of the evening, dropping to 830,000 viewers across the metro capitals. That’s a 23 per cent drop, despite a massive marketing push from Seven.

Ten’s move shows faith in a program that has, since debuting, been beaten in the ratings byThe Blockon both nights. However, viewing figures for Australian Survivor among the crucial 25-54 viewer age group have been especially strong.

While its ratings have been softer than for Seven and Nine’s offerings, Australian Survivor has generated significant buzz on social media, suggesting its audience may grow as buzz develops further.

Sunday’s debut episode was the number one entertainment program on Twitter during its broadcast, with #SurvivorAU trending at number three on Twitter worldwide and number one in Australia.

Network Ten chief programming officer Beverley McGarvey said: “We very pleased with how Australian Survivor has started. It has attracted solid audience numbers on television and on social media, and produced big increases in Ten’s audiences in its timeslot. The response from viewers has been extremely positive. Clearly there is a strong audience for Australian Survivor and we want to capitalise on that by giving viewers more of what they want.”

HOORAY!

Woah! This is relevant to the ratings thread:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...r/news-story/86c3a45d6028c5d83ae3d863dd510f30

NETWORK Ten will air Australian Survivor for three nights a week starting from next week, news.com.au can reveal.

The scheduling shift — which will see the reality show air Sunday, Monday and now Tuesday nights, with three contestant eliminations per week — is a proactive move in the ratings war against Seven and Nine.

Ten’s Samoa-set series will, on Tuesdays, go up against Nine’s perennial favourite The Block and on Seven, the much-hyped new entry Zumbo’s Just Desserts. While Zumbo opened with big figures on Monday night — more than a million viewers across the five capital cities — many viewers
voiced disappointment at the show on social media.

By last night’s second episode, Zumbo had fallen from third to eighth most-watched show of the evening, dropping to 830,000 viewers across the metro capitals. That’s a 23 per cent drop, despite a massive marketing push from Seven.

Ten’s move shows faith in a program that has, since debuting, been beaten in the ratings byThe Blockon both nights. However, viewing figures for Australian Survivor among the crucial 25-54 viewer age group have been especially strong.

While its ratings have been softer than for Seven and Nine’s offerings, Australian Survivor has generated significant buzz on social media, suggesting its audience may grow as buzz develops further.

Sunday’s debut episode was the number one entertainment program on Twitter during its broadcast, with #SurvivorAU trending at number three on Twitter worldwide and number one in Australia.

Network Ten chief programming officer Beverley McGarvey said: “We very pleased with how Australian Survivor has started. It has attracted solid audience numbers on television and on social media, and produced big increases in Ten’s audiences in its timeslot. The response from viewers has been extremely positive. Clearly there is a strong audience for Australian Survivor and we want to capitalise on that by giving viewers more of what they want.”

HOORAY!

Best news of the day! This will for sure push 7 down and stunt 9's The Block. Hopefully from here Survivor can gain more audiences. I'd expect to see and increase of 50k-100k growth over the season.

I reckon they'll hit 1m+ viewers by (or at least for) the finale.
Oh dear. It's going to be an uphill struggle!

Last night Survivor slipped to 662,000, while The Block was firm at 1,151,000 (5 capital city figures).

Ten will be devastated at that number. I know I am.

But... The Block was so boring! I'm guilty of watching The Block while I'm having dinner and catching Survivor later when I can properly enjoy it, so people like me wouldn't count in the ratings. I really do think Survivor is the more entertaining show, and ratings might not reflect that. Maybe people really do prefer tedium.

HOW is The Block getting such high numbers? Arghh!

Things are definitely going to be a struggle for Ten. Even the mainstream radio shows aren't talking about Survivor in an overly positive light now. Just this morning I heard KIIS FM mention it in their Pop Quiz and the caller hadn't even watched the show, to which Meshel said "yeah, apparently an Evan got eliminated last night".

"Apparently an Evan".

It isn't being widely watched at all. :sorry:

Back