Skip to main content

Episode Australian Survivor (2016) - Episode 17 Discussion

Surely they've got to wise up to El, Flick and Brooke soon - that vote only happened tonight because Sam and Lee got permission for it to happen. Decent episode though - liked the reward challenge though the immunity was a bit too similar to Sunday nights. Tribal though just drags for me - less of the chit chat and just get on with it please.

P.S. With Ten milkling this as much as possible, and seemingly doing two tribals every three days, do we think there is a chance a jury member could win a place back in the game? Big Brother does that but I'm not sure if Survivor ever has - their redemption/exile twists tend to be pre-merge from what I've seen.

I'm late in commenting due to no internet last night... (I know! I'm alright though)
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but I expect a lot of people are pleased that Nick has gone.
I'm pleased, I found his scrambling and over-enunciation stressful to watch, and I really didn't buy his "they don't know me, I'm a good person in real life" spiels, I felt that was just as put on for the camera as everything else we've seen. I'm not saying he's not a good person - we don't actually know him - but, like some of the others, we can only go by what we see, and the producers can't conjure these quotes, looks and attitudes, and all the manipulation and sneakiness, out of nowhere.

Kylie did amazingly in the challenge. She's certainly a contender physically. Brooke is still too smug. It irked me that she stuck it out for six hours, then negotiated a step-down because she felt "90% safe". She isn't a target yet, but no one should feel that comfortable.

Kristie is a good egg. I don't feel that her sacrificing her own letter was gameplay, but if it gained her Matt's loyalty then that can only work in her favour.

Well, Kristie playing big time. And the invisible people don't write letters.
El did it only because Kristie did. Would have actually had meaning if she gave it to Sue. Parking meters don't write letters either.The dislike grows strong with for one.
Edit to clarify.

First thing that crossed my mind when El won a letter was that it wouldn't happen because then we might learn something about her! So it made perfect sense when she gave it up, she has no place in the narrative at all other than backup mean girl who doesn't do the talking.

you guys realise we actually know zilch about the pretty girls, for all we know they are saints in real life, who toil 24 hours looking after a dying parent......

bit far fetched ")

well maybe flick does have something sad at home

i feel like Switzerland again, i don't hate anybody

Her boyfriend is the brother of US contestant Benry, whose only memorable moment was calling a fellow contestant a "dirt squirl".
Not that it makes Felicity a bad person, but she's made no effort to come across any other way.

Call me heartless but these sob story episodes hold absolutely no interest for me. I don't find it entertain TV.

...I hate this 'letters from home' shit... it's always the same old blubbery garbage on whichever Reality show it is... I'm sure that they'd be getting letters from home if they were really castaways on an island like were supposed to imagine they are eh?... cheers.

LOL I could tell by the lull in chat you lot felt the same way as me. I usually watch TV in arrears and would be FF-ing my way through that bit for sure.

Yep. I'm not heartless but the "letters from home" is my least favourite part of Survivor. I get that it's an attempt to humanise them, but we should see that in their interactions and decisions throughout the game, not whether they can turn on the waterworks for five minutes.

What an incredibly stupid move from Brooke, El, Flick, unless they simply don't have the control people say they have here. Nick wasn't blindsided anyway.

Sam is just such an absolute irritant, and Matt is utterly useless. Sam going on about 'the interests of the group' was bullshit, it's about individuals. El said Nick had to make amends to Sam, what?

This was the weepy episode, not my thing and never is, I assume some of the audience need it to get into the show, I don't.

The problem I've had with Survivor recently is that reward challenges normally have much more variety, and the latest individual immunity was just a vertical version of the first one. So again it favoured lighter people. I'd love it if they had more a mental element rather than the usual physical endurance every single time, but that's the formula they tend to have these days (until maybe the very final one).

So quite a weak episode, I wonder if some of these people will ever play the game, so many sheeple. And what does Sam do now, his whole existence seemed to be based around hating Nick.

Was late in watching this as the download wasn't available as quickly as normal. I did try a VPN a few weeks back (I've used the most popular paid service) and it doesn't actually work on the channel's website. So if anyone is advised to use a VPN (which I did see here before) they should be aware it doesn't always work.

The problem I've had with Survivor recently is that reward challenges normally have much more variety, and the latest individual immunity was just a vertical version of the first one. So again it favoured lighter people. I'd love it if they had more a mental element rather than the usual physical endurance every single time, but that's the formula they tend to have these days (until maybe the very final one).
Now if only the immunity challenges came down to solving a puzzle after six hours hanging on a pole.

Nick should just stay quiet at tribal councils. Like just give one word answers to all Pags questions. Instead he just loves to talk and give them that rope.

But it's all in the edit, others probably speak plenty too. Anyway it's obvious he knew he was going, he'd probably been told, so he was just getting his word in before he went.

So many useless people there, Sue is another she just seems happy to be going (most likely) after Nick.

Reactions: kxk
Sue should be trying to convince Kylie and Lee that they aren't even close to being part of the core alliance. Maybe she has had these conversations and we aren't being shown, I hope so.
If these conversations are happening, I'd like to see the reactions of the ones who are participating in them. I'm thinking that someone, somewhere is going to have a lightbulb moment fairly soon and do their best to separate, for want of a better word, the main two meanies. The problem is getting the more peripheral ones to make their minds up and stick to it.

I'm assuming Nick was voted out with the assumption Sam/Lee and maybe some others agreed about the next lot to go, Sue, Kristie or whoever.

I don't really get this stuff about Brooke saying she is really close with Sam, he tried to blindside her alliance. On the US show that would make you a target and Sam would have been worried this last two tribals, instead he's just continued his weird paranoia while not being under any threat.

Does his mental health charity support putting someone down and calling them names without any evidence? It's ugly, self righteous behavior to me. I don't like the players that decide they are the good guys so somehow they deserve to stay -it's like that girl gang against Tahan.
Nick has been loyal in every vote. Sam hasn't.
Sam has been lucky in this game and he feels he deserves his spot because he's a better person. It's gross.

He called him a snake. As in, a snake in the grass. As in the colloquial term for someone not to be trusted. It's not, to my mind, "calling someone names". (Like, for example, some here referring to Sam as a "jock wanker" and a "total moron".)

I would say he was accurate - Nick was already thrown out of oldVulva for being "untrustworthy" - whether or not we would think it a good move or good Survivor reasoning by the Vulva tribe. These particular players are playing by Aussie mateship codes, not US codes, and not Survivor codes.

I expect Lee told him about Nick's idol pretence, as he and we witnessed it, and the way Nick really clumsily turned it around to pretend he was always going to show them. But then I'm not in Sam's head, so I don't really know what he's thinking about himself, as you do!

Rob and Stephen give Sam a good telling off for his attitude in voting of Nick as Nick not deserving to be there. It's entertaning. Stephen says he almost tweeted something to Sam about it, but didn't because he has received those tweets himself.

Maybe calling someone a snake isn't an insult in Australia?

At any rate, Nick had not done a thing to Sam.
Sam needs to get over thinking he gets to decide who is a "good person" and who" deserves" to play a game. As I said, I hope his charity realizes it's harmful to a persons mental health to be targeted and put down merely for trying to win a game. It just looks bad. I'm not sure that Sam ever bothered to learn anything about Survivor. Lee either.

Just vote him out by don't berate him. I wonder why SAMs friend killed himself? Was bullying involved?
Got zero patience or time for Sam.

That's no-one's business but his. I've lost two friends to suicide and would hate people asking such insensitive questions.
I'm sorry for your loss. My aunt also committed suicide by overdosing on antidepressants in her car parked in the parking lot of her church. The police refused to look for her when she wasn't home for dinner. Her doctor had given her a whole bottle of billsnot realizing the depth of her depression. Her husband didn't think of checking the church on a weeknight. She left two stellar kids, one of whom she had just finished getting into college.

My point about Sams friend is that I thought the story would be public as his built his charity on the story. I'm not invading privacy. I'm asking about the attitude of the mental health charity because I don't think SAMs behavior is a good model for caring about the mental health of others. So I wondered what the story was of the suicide the charity was founded on.

I would be more tolerant of Sam if he wasn't supposed to be a figure for mental health. He doesn't understand the game, but thinks it's ok to judge Nick, who he has only heard stories about and tell him he doesn't deserve to be there. At least Lee is not pretending to know about caring for the mental health for others.

He called him a snake. As in, a snake in the grass. As in the colloquial term for someone not to be trusted. It's not, to my mind, "calling someone names". (Like, for example, some here referring to Sam as a "jock wanker" and a "total moron".)

I would say he was accurate - Nick was already thrown out of oldVulva for being "untrustworthy" - whether or not we would think it a good move or good Survivor reasoning by the Vulva tribe. These particular players are playing by Aussie mateship codes, not US codes, and not Survivor codes.

I expect Lee told him about Nick's idol pretence, as he and we witnessed it, and the way Nick really clumsily turned it around to pretend he was always going to show them. But then I'm not in Sam's head, so I don't really know what he's thinking about himself, as you do!
Agreed. I always thought it was snake in the grass. If he was going to be name calling, I reckon he'd have 'better' words to use.

Not necessarily that. You don't have to make individual immunity about endurance all the time. Big Brother doesn't.
A good thing about downloading later of course is that I can just skip over the letters/family section in these shows, which I've done for years.

agree + so agree!
cant stand the "read letters and weep" segments.
and in some formats - this is stretched to entire episodes,
only second disliked to "the journey so far" recaps episodes.

Back