Skip to main content

Australian "Slang" Interpretation

Excuse my coffee obsession, it has replaced nicotine :)

I am this month celebrating 1 whole year of no ciggies, I'm quite proud & very happy:)

And weirdly I have coffee instead, I make really good espresso flat whites now - all day long....well not all day, a lot though

Congratulations on the giving up smoking, for a full year, kxk. I have given up around 8 months now, but still using e-cigarettes (vaping) found a store while in Belfast and they now ship me disposables :)

New question: what is "daggy"?

I heard it used on an episode of Project Runway Australia.

Congratulations on the giving up smoking, for a full year, kxk. I have given up around 8 months now, but still using e-cigarettes (vaping) found a store while in Belfast and they now ship me disposables :)

Can you not buy e-cigarettes in Australia?

As a matter of interest, how much does a packet of 20 real cigarettes cost there? They are currently £8.32 here. That's just a little over 14 of your Australian dollars apparently.
Really expensive these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

As a matter of interest, how much does a packet of 20 real cigarettes cost there? They are currently £8.32 here. That's just a little over 14 of your Australian dollars apparently.
Really expensive these days.

Depends on what brand but for a 20 pack around the $10-$20 (£6-£12). I usually buy a carton (160 cigs) which usually costs a few cents shy of $100 (£59). Mind you a carton lasts me a month unless I go out! :p

Congrats to you too Daltrim. What are those e-cigs like?
My sister wanted to buy me some, but I don't need them I hope unless I have some kind of relapse or need to be rid of the coffee obsession

I began weaning myself off when I was quite ill last year, then used nicotine chewies - and after about 6 months the chewies made me feel sick, moved onto ordinary chewies.

And I'm quite amazed, it hasn't been too bad, and I thought it would be way more difficult.
I'm also not getting fat - thank goodness.
Can't say I have noticed any change in how food tastes, and people tell you that is supposed to happen.

Well done both of us - 4 months to go and we can celebrate your milestone. If you count October, does that mean you gave up January?

No our Government has banned the selling of any e-cigarette products that contain Nicotine, although there appears to be a growing black market of folks selling the products. (Non-nicotine flavoured are readily available here). We are still able to legally import e-cigarettes & Nicotine products for personal use. There is a study to commence by the Queensland University in 2014 with over 1000 participants, so hopefully the results will back up that vaping does in fact help folks give up smoking, and the Australian Government will allow them to be sold as is the case OS. I would think they may also then, restrict the sale of the products to 18+ years as it seems there now is a problem with young kids using them.

Congrats to you too Daltrim. What are those e-cigs like?
My sister wanted to buy me some, but I don't need them I hope unless I have some kind of relapse or need to be rid of the coffee obsession

I began weaning myself off when I was quite ill last year, then used nicotine chewies - and after about 6 months the chewies made me feel sick, moved onto ordinary chewies.

And I'm quite amazed, it hasn't been too bad, and I thought it would be way more difficult.
I'm also not getting fat - thank goodness.
Can't say I have noticed any change in how food tastes, and people tell you that is supposed to happen.

Well done both of us - 4 months to go and we can celebrate your milestone. If you count October, does that mean you gave up January?

Very proud of you kxk, I tried the gum - but it wasn't helping. I think I have an addiction to having something in my other hand when having a drink etc :) I absolutely love them. Yes, gave up Cigarettes in January - my New Years Resolution for 2013.

Explaining to my family here in the US what a 'turkey slap' was....was the funniest things ever..

Thanks for the replies re the cost of cigarettes and also e-cigarettes there. We can buy ones containing nicotine freely from supermarkets. They are a really effective aid in giving up the real thing here. I think they work better than gum because you have something to hold and "smoke" I have tried them, but haven't fully made the switch yet, but will eventually. I know lots of people who now only use them. The meddling E.U. recently tried to restrict their sale, but failed. The powerful tobacco lobby would love to see them restricted or banned as it affects their profits. Money talks.

Yep El Torito is in West End if that's the one you meant! Granada is at South Brisbane and La Quinta is at Bulimba.

Yes we used to go to El Torito. Are u Mexican South american? Or is Consuela a fav character on Family guy?

I have never heard the expression third wheel in England. We would say playing gooseberry most commonly, or maybe being a third part. Do Australians ever use these descriptions for being the awkward addition to a couple? I'm interested to know what the American posters, and others use too. :)

I have never heard the expression third wheel in England. We would say playing gooseberry most commonly, or maybe being a third part. Do Australians ever use these descriptions for being the awkward addition to a couple? I'm interested to know what the American posters, and others use too. :)

I have never heard gooseberry or third part used like that, so I am about as useful as tits on a bull.

I have never heard gooseberry or third part used like that, so I am about as useful as tits on a bull.

Same - never heard of gooseberry or third part. Third wheel is used in situations like this. I was often the third wheel with my bestie and her hubby to be.....and I eventually had a third wheel with my then bestie and my hubby to be. ;)

Also spare part here. I forgot about that one! It's funny because so many of the things you say, the casual observations with sayings are exactly the same here. Occasionally there is one, like this that is understood straight away, but isn't used here. Wrong thread I know, but what a brilliant series! Beats ours into a cocked hat. ...And I bet you have never heard of that one either!

Yes we used to go to El Torito. Are u Mexican South american? Or is Consuela a fav character on Family guy?

I was born in Australia but my mothers side of the family are originally from Spain so I grew up on Spanish food and got hooked on the spice of Mexican food when I was travelling around North America. As for Consuela she is indeed my favourite character off family guy!

Back