Skip to main content

Australian "Slang" Interpretation

CaspersMum

Yanked to Oz
Multiple site donor
Awesome site donor
For our overseas forum posters. A place to post the words and phrases you may not know the meaning of. ;)

As a transplanted Yank myself, I'd have killed for a reference tool like this! HA!!

Post away!!

And PS- Never say what team you are "rooting" for. Rooting is a slang for screwing. ;)

Barracking in the word to use.

Also a transplanted Yank. Bringing this over from the LF thread...
I took bogan to mean like someone into grunge

I think of "bogan" as a particularly Australian kind of person. I think the closest American concept would be like "trailer trash," although it's not always necessarily a socioeconomic thing so much as a way of being. If that makes sense? Am I way off, real Aussies?

And yes, "mince" is what we'd call hamburger or ground beef, although there's also lamb mince/pork mince etc.

I think of "bogan" as a particularly Australian kind of person. I think the closest American concept would be like "trailer trash," although it's not always necessarily a socioeconomic thing so much as a way of being. If that makes sense? Am I way off, real Aussies?

And yes, "mince" is what we'd call hamburger or ground beef, although there's also lamb mince/pork mince etc.
Yeah I would say "bogan" is pretty "hillbilly-esque". Hahaha!!!! But then, I'm a transplant too. ;)

I normally go look for stuff on my own because I don't want to bother people with silly questions but this thread is certainly going to help a lot!!

On thing that really annoyed the shit out of me, because I couldn't find out what it was, was the "Cream" that Tim and Tahan were talking about when they said that Mikkayla used 5 scoops on her fries or something.. At first I thought maybe it's a slang word for Mayo, but then I heard them use the word Mayo last week so I was back at not knowing what it was.. did they mean Sour Cream maybe?? Because for me, cream is sweet and I don't think she would put that on fries.. LOL

I normally go look for stuff on my own because I don't want to bother people with silly questions but this thread is certainly going to help a lot!!

On thing that really annoyed the shit out of me, because I couldn't find out what it was, was the "Cream" that Tim and Tahan were talking about when they said that Mikkayla used 5 scoops on her fries or something.. At first I thought maybe it's a slang word for Mayo, but then I heard them use the word Mayo last week so I was back at not knowing what it was.. did they mean Sour Cream maybe?? Because for me, cream is sweet and I don't think she would put that on fries.. LOL

If they were talking about chips (fries) then it was probably sour cream.

Also, a bogan is usually someone who wears a lot of singlets with shorts, or baggy/damaged clothes (because they don't care), looks pretty dirty, long hair, unkempt. Also it could be someone who swears a lot or just acts dirty in general. Like ferals who randomly swear and carry on at nothing.

I'm from the UK. A funny one here. In Australia, 'thongs' are, I think, flip flop type sandals. In the UK the same word describes g strings or flimsy underwear. Imagine my surprise when I heard someone say they were leaving their dirty thongs at the front door! ;)

I'm from the UK. A funny one here. In Australia, 'thongs' are, I think, flip flop type sandals. In the UK the same word describes g strings or flimsy underwear. Imagine my surprise when I heard someone say they were leaving their dirty thongs at the front door! ;)
Hahahahaha!!! Same with US!!

Also a few food related:

Capsicum=Bell Pepper
Biscuit=Cookie
Lolly=Candy
Pretty simplistic those ones, but can cause confusion none the less.

Same in the US. I still can't call them thongs without giggling.

Another saying I heard when I was over there was 'chucking a Uey'. It meant doing a U-turn. Was particularly funny as the friend I was staying with was Louise. So Louey was chucking a Uey!

Oh, and "sook" is basically like "sulk," but it can also be a noun for the act (like "have a sook") or a person who does it. May involve crying/whinging in addition to just pouting.

I was having this discussion online recently with a few Americans recently re: the slang terms over here. "Bogan" is impossible to explain unless you've been here. It's not a redneck - I really just think of Western Sydney which obviously means nothing to anyone outside of Australia. It's a very specific cultural stereotype.

I also got asked if "daggy" meant "cool" :D To answer the question, no, no it doesn't. It means the opposite.

Also (and this was a much bigger point of contention that I would have expected) if there's meat between two buns it's a "burger" in Australia. Doesn't matter if it's beef, chicken or fish. IT'S NEVER A SANDWICH IF IT'S BETWEEN TWO BUNS. Also, Subway-type "sandwiches" are called "rolls".

And we put "-o" at the end of EVERYTHING. Mayo = Mayonaisse. Devo = Devestated. Povo = Poverty Stricken/poor. Servo = Service Station/Gas Station. Bottl-o - Bottle shop. There are no limits to what we'll put "-o" at the end of. We literally call The Salvation Army "The Salvo's". That's their official name. I love being Australian but we're quite lazy with language. If we can bloody abbreviate it, then we will damn well will.

Oh, and "sook" is basically like "sulk," but it can also be a noun for the act (like "have a sook") or a person who does it. May involve crying/whinging in addition to just pouting.
Further to sooking... "spitting the dummy" is a hissy fit type melt down/ tantrum. Dummys are pacifiers here.

Oh, also, I got told "getting the shits" in America literally just means, well, having to poo a lot. Over here "getting the shits" CAN mean the former but usually it means just being annoyed or pissed off with someone. Ie: "Don't get the shits!" = "Don't be annoyed!"

Hahahahaha!!! Same with US!!

Also a few food related:

Capsicum=Bell Pepper
Biscuit=Cookie
Lolly=Candy
Pretty simplistic those ones, but can cause confusion none the less.

Yep!! When they talked about lollies, I always expected the candy to be on a stick, like a lollipop then I saw them and I was like "WHUTTT where's the stick? those are not lollies!!" LOL

Biscuit was a problem for me last year.. every year I learn more and more :D

lol yes kind of. I have to admit, when I was in school 'bogan' wasn't really used yet. The word we used was 'bevan' - pronounced bevv-an, not beevan - which meant the same thing. So even Aussie slang changes over the years.

Back