Skip to main content

Australian "Slang" Interpretation

Ha!! When I first got here I had no idea how to order a coffee!! It was frustrating as hell!

I live here and the coffee shops scare me. hahaha. So many different coffees and ways to have it. I am happy that I like just a long black. Easy peasy!

I live here and the coffee shops scare me. hahaha. So many different coffees and ways to have it. I am happy that I like just a long black. Easy peasy!
I live here now too and must admit I send someone else up to order my coffee for me! Hahahahaha!!

Taking our coffee to the USA seems so odd, in every US TV show it's coffee, coffee, coffee, breakfast/lunch/dinner. And scoffing at instant.
So I assumed it must be good coffee they drink, they have plenty of Italian migrants.

Starbucks got thrown out of Australia with a sneer...........

"Now that the collective cheer of all coffee-loving Australians has died down, it's worth exploring just why Starbucks has failed to make an impression in the Australian marketplace.
Firstly, they didn't seem to pay much attention to product optimisation. In short, they just took what worked in the US, and tried it here. Unfortunately for Starbucks, what worked in the US was bitter, weak coffee augmented by huge quantities of milk and sweet flavoured syrups. Not so much coffee, as hot coffee-based smoothies.
For the Australian consumer, raised on a diet of real espresso, this was always going to be a tough sell.

Perhaps the final, and most important, lesson from the Starbucks experience is this: as consumers, we ultimately have the power to kill bad products and bad brands. Don't give them your money, and eventually they'll go away.....

And for the same sort of reason, a UK chain tried to open Fish & Chip shops here - that died, selling shitty UK fish.
There is at least one fish & chip shop in every Aussie suburb, I think it's our national dish.
They sell all kinds of fish, battered and deep fried. With chips/French fries, and other tasty bad for you things.
Best home made burgers, dim sims, pineapple fritters and potato cakes.

We have 2 fish & chip shops, and they compete - it's fantastic. I think I need a crunchy piece of flake right now - that's shark, so yummy.

American ex-pats, do you ever go to this site?

yanksdownunder.net

I lurk, they give out good tips for Mexican places, and it's a hobby of mine, cultural differences & similarities fascinate me.

I live here now too and must admit I send someone else up to order my coffee for me! Hahahahaha!!

What!?!! You're scared of ordering coffee here?! Every TV show and movie I have ever seen has led me to believe the yanks standard coffee order is:

Grande coffee in a venti cup with 2 pumps hazelnut, 2 pumps vanilla, 2 pumps caramel, 2 equals and 4 sweet and lows filled to the top with cream, with extra cream on the side, double cupped with no sleeve, a stir stick, and stopper put in the top.

Whereas mine is flat white with a shot of caramel!

[MENTION=899]kxk[/MENTION] not a huge fan of Starbucks or chains in general I prefer my local cafe down the street. If I had to choose I'd probably say my go to chain is Zarraffas.

Last edited:
Taking our coffee to the USA seems so odd, in every US TV show it's coffee, coffee, coffee, breakfast/lunch/dinner. And scoffing at instant.
So I assumed it must be good coffee they drink, they have plenty of Italian migrants.

Starbucks got thrown out of Australia with a sneer...........

"Now that the collective cheer of all coffee-loving Australians has died down, it's worth exploring just why Starbucks has failed to make an impression in the Australian marketplace.
Firstly, they didn't seem to pay much attention to product optimisation. In short, they just took what worked in the US, and tried it here. Unfortunately for Starbucks, what worked in the US was bitter, weak coffee augmented by huge quantities of milk and sweet flavoured syrups. Not so much coffee, as hot coffee-based smoothies.
For the Australian consumer, raised on a diet of real espresso, this was always going to be a tough sell.

Perhaps the final, and most important, lesson from the Starbucks experience is this: as consumers, we ultimately have the power to kill bad products and bad brands. Don't give them your money, and eventually they'll go away.....

And for the same sort of reason, a UK chain tried to open Fish & Chip shops here - that died, selling shitty UK fish.
There is at least one fish & chip shop in every Aussie suburb, I think it's our national dish.
They sell all kinds of fish, battered and deep fried. With chips/French fries, and other tasty bad for you things.
Best home made burgers, dim sims, pineapple fritters and potato cakes.

We have 2 fish & chip shops, and they compete - it's fantastic. I think I need a crunchy piece of flake right now - that's shark, so yummy.

I've read somewhere that Americans don't use instant coffee and for our American friends this is what it looks like:

instant coffee.jpg

But I've also noticed that in most TV shows/Movies Americans always seem to have one of these in their workplace or home:

drip coffee.jpg

Has anyone tried both whats the difference?

And when I was working in a cafe I honestly got addicted to coffee really bad. Here is a picture of the first time I ever made a design on a coffee using the milk.

my coffee.jpg

What!?!! You're scared of ordering coffee here?! Every TV show and movie I have ever seen has led me to believe the yanks standard coffee order is:

Grande coffee in a venti cup with 2 pumps hazelnut, 2 pumps vanilla, 2 pumps caramel, 2 equals and 4 sweet and lows filled to the top with cream, with extra cream on the side, double cupped with no sleeve, a stir stick, and stopper put in the top.

Whereas mine is flat white with a shot of caramel!

[MENTION=899]kxk[/MENTION] not a huge fan of Starbucks or chains in general my prefer me local cafe down the street. If I had to choose I'd probably say my go to chain would be Zarraffas.
I'm scared to order coffee ANYWHERE!! :D But in 'Murica I know if I say, "Regular coffee" that I will get a coffee with cream and sugar! Hahaha!!!

Try asking for a LONG BLACK *anywhere* but Australia !!!!!
Oh!!! Now I understand why housemates kept bringing up flavored milk all the time. So funny. In the US only kids drink flavored milk and there is some movement against selling flavored milk in schools because it is just adding sugar and fake flavor to milk.

Edit: meant to quote the post about all the milk flavors.

Last edited:

yanksdownunder.net

I lurk, they give out good tips for Mexican places, and it's a hobby of mine, cultural differences & similarities fascinate me.

I think that you posted that site on here a while ago and I went to have a look, can't remember what thread I was looking at but most of the yanks were just whinging about how they miss home and how horrible Australia is compared to the US. Oh and whinging how we don't have any good Mexican food. Ah no shit we don't, Mexico borders the US. So obviously that is why you have such an abundance of Mexican restaurants over there.

I think that you posted that site on here a while ago and I went to have a look, can't remember what thread I was looking at but most of the yanks were just whinging about how they miss home and how horrible Australia is compared to the US. Oh and whinging how we don't have any good Mexican food. Ah no shit we don't, Mexico borders the US. So obviously that is why you have such an abundance of Mexican restaurants over there.

There's a Spanish restaurant called Granada not far from me that does great Spanish dishes and fairly decent Mexican fair. For really good Mexican you have to try El Torito or La Quinta.

As for the percolated coffee thing every place I stayed at in US had one and by the end of it I really missed good old instant.

I've read somewhere that Americans don't use instant coffee and for our American friends this is what it looks like:

View attachment 34467

But I've also noticed that in most TV shows/Movies Americans always seem to have one of these in their workplace or home:

View attachment 34468

Has anyone tried both whats the difference?

And when I was working in a cafe I honestly got addicted to coffee really bad. Here is a picture of the first time I ever made a design on a coffee using the milk.

View attachment 34469

That drip coffee is shit- the machine you picture Americans use.
We had one when I was a kid, Dad threw it away...............no actually he threw away the guts and Mum used it to cook asparagus.

Americans have told me our Nescafe instant tastes better than their fresh coffee how they brew it. They have converted to espresso.
They don't have the same good instant we do.

And they also tell me, that electric kettles are unusual in America??? is this true???
Macchiato is my favourite.
But nobody makes the coffee I want, less milk in a flat white.

Oh and we had to be trained into our coffee types - they often used to have serviettes in the coffee places with all the styles described on them.
Long time ago, I used to always order black, with milk on the side as all they could make were cappuccinos, viennas, and other milky shit.

And they also tell me, that electric kettles are unusual in America??? is this true???

I can't say I noticed any differences?

I did however notice that their toilets have a shit load (pardon the pun) of water in them! Splash back was horrible! :p

I didn't think a swirly could actually work until I saw them.

I went there originally for some info on buying stuff from USA. They do whinge as is their right, but they also fall in love with Australia.
The lack of Mexican is apparently cancelled out by our amazing Thai & other Asian cuisine, clearly regional stuff for both of us.

I find it quite illuminating - who knew our wages are so much higher than Americans, stuff like that I find interesting.
And I can't help myself, I find the introduction to some of our ways hilarious.
Vegemite tasting is a highlight:)

I can't say I noticed any differences?

I did however notice that their toilets have a shit load (pardon the pun) of water in them! Splash back was horrible! :p

I didn't think a swirly could actually work until I saw them.

^ I agree, plus when you flush, the water rises before emptying!!!!!!!!

Just saw this image on FB - the good old 'Yobbos'.

1AAARenalbum.JPG
The Aussie Yobbos at Sunbury Pop Festival in 1974
©Rennie Ellis
Rennie Ellis Photographic Archive

kxk, have you tried the fish and chips down at Half Moon Bay ? http://www.cerberusbeachhouse.com.au/

yanksdownunder.net

If you are ever in Adelaide, Lucky Lupita's near the Flinders Medical Centre is AMAZING!! Best Mexican in Adelaide.

Went to Nyc on holiday once. Or should I say vacation. Anyways we had coffee at a few diners. It was terrible. Like watery. No taste. I thought what the....

There's a Spanish restaurant called Granada not far from me that does great Spanish dishes and fairly decent Mexican fair. For really good Mexican you have to try El Torito or La Quinta.

As for the percolated coffee thing every place I stayed at in US had one and by the end of it I really missed good old instant.

Is that the one in Westend??

Post US trip/s - sorry guys, you're 100% banal.

The "culture" trip I was anxious about was my US bretheren utilising me as an excuse to order multiple 16oz margaritas... Until I experienced the 16oz margie... Heaven on earth....

Oh; bb... oops. Go... um... Boog.

Ahhhh I love coffee too :) But I usually have it flavoured - mocha or hazelnut latte (or I drink instant coffee at home)

Excuse my coffee obsession, it has replaced nicotine :)

I am this month celebrating 1 whole year of no ciggies, I'm quite proud & very happy:)

And weirdly I have coffee instead, I make really good espresso flat whites now - all day long....well not all day, a lot though

Back