Skip to main content

Australian "Slang" Interpretation

To me, a shrimp is the white prawn/yabby like thing you get out of the river.

And yabbies are crayfish. Yabbying (catching them) is fun. You tie a piece of meat on a bit of string and either hold the string or tie it onto a stick and dig it into the ground near the bank of the channel or dam, and throw the meat into the water. Yabbies are attracted by the smell and will grip the meat with their claws and try to pull it away and this is how you know you have one on the line - you will feel the tugging. You then pull the line up not too quick but not too slow either, then when you can see the meat and yabby just below the surface, you scoop them both up with a strainer. Then you can put the yabby in a bucket or something with water in it to keep them alive until you want to cook them. Or you can throw them back, if you just want to yabby for fun. Apparently they taste a lot like prawns (I don't eat them or prawns myself). You also need to check if females have eggs, and if they do, you should always throw them back in so they can have their babies.

yabbies here are found in freshwater and crayfish are saltwater.
As far as Prawns go Spencer Gulf King Prawns (Melicertus latisulcatus) are renowned throughout the world as the premium species of prawn. Spencer Gulf King Prawns are wild caught straight from the cold clean waters of the Spencer Gulf, full of natural flavour.

(sorry I just had to give our Industry a bit of a plug) lol

To me a snagga is a portmanteau of snag and sanger/sanga. Sausage in bread = sausage sandwich = YUMMY.

I love election day sausage sizzles. Sometimes on the weekends my Housemates and I drive to bunnings specially for a sausage.

yep...same...almost not a Saturday anymore unless you have a sausage. Score if you are at Bunnings on a Thursday.....they have been serving them then too.

I was having this discussion online recently with a few Americans recently re: the slang terms over here. "Bogan" is impossible to explain unless you've been here. It's not a redneck - I really just think of Western Sydney which obviously means nothing to anyone outside of Australia. It's a very specific cultural stereotype.

I also got asked if "daggy" meant "cool" :D To answer the question, no, no it doesn't. It means the opposite.

Also (and this was a much bigger point of contention that I would have expected) if there's meat between two buns it's a "burger" in Australia. Doesn't matter if it's beef, chicken or fish. IT'S NEVER A SANDWICH IF IT'S BETWEEN TWO BUNS. Also, Subway-type "sandwiches" are called "rolls".

And we put "-o" at the end of EVERYTHING. Mayo = Mayonaisse. Devo = Devestated. Povo = Poverty Stricken/poor. Servo = Service Station/Gas Station. Bottl-o - Bottle shop. There are no limits to what we'll put "-o" at the end of. We literally call The Salvation Army "The Salvo's". That's their official name. I love being Australian but we're quite lazy with language. If we can bloody abbreviate it, then we will damn well will.

Yeah , and now we have Macka's, NOT McDonalds, but dead set Macka's where they are even labelling them as such .... Awesome :)
l

Is it a Yiros or a Kebab? Are they the same thing? Here we call them Yiros.

I'm confused are you an Aussie? The Dame Edna pic is throwing me off.

As for Yiros never heard of it, but a quick Google image search suggests they are what I'd call a Kebab.

I'm confused are you an Aussie? The Dame Edna pic is throwing me off.

As for Yiros never heard of it, but a quick Google image search suggests they are what I'd call a Kebab.

lol Im a South Aussie

Thanks. Thats settled a little family debate. Kebab to me is meat/chicken/fish on a skewer.

lol Im a South Aussie

Thanks. Thats settled a little family debate. Kebab to me is meat/chicken/fish on a skewer.

Ah. Wierd thing is I'd also call meat on a skewer a kebab as well. If there was confusion I'd stipulate the wrap one as a donna kebab and the other as just a kebab.

lol Im a South Aussie

That's what a kebab/kabob was to me too until I left N. America. Gyros would be what we find in Kebab shops here. It's no wonder people get confused!

Ah. Wierd thing is I'd also call meat on a skewer a kebab as well. If there was confusion I'd stipulate the wrap one as a donna kebab and the other as just a kebab.
In Germany I think they're called Doner's too.

Come on world - let's start getting our shit together! Too many names for the same bloody thing.

Oh I forgot one from the LF thread today: alfoil = tinfoil

ooh and textas = markers we use to colour with

In Germany I think they're called Doner's too.

Come on world - let's start getting our shit together! Too many names for the same bloody thing.

Oh I forgot one from the LF thread today: alfoil = tinfoil

According to wikipedia:

In South Australia they are known as yiros, a romanised rendering of the correct modern Greek pronunciation. In New South Wales they are known as doner kebabs or kebabs in Turkish or Lebanese shops, and yeeros/yiros in Greek shops. In Queensland and Western Australia they are called kebabs. In Victoria (which has a large Greek population), they are generally known as gyros or souvlaki. In Tasmania, they are generally called kebabs or souvlaki.

I'd say maybe you southern states call it something closer to it's Greek/Turkish name because of the larger Greek/Turkish population.

I know why my OH has gone from calling them Yiros to Kebab now. He was working in Qld for 18mnths. Whatever we call them they are so yummy.

The other one is Polony = red-skinned fritz, Fritz = Devon in other states.
I agree with Mrs B about too many names for things.

I feel like I want to say I'd called the red-skinned Devon 'Baloney'. But maybe I use them interchangeably?? All these names are making me question myself now! :p

I feel like I want to say I'd called the red-skinned Devon 'Baloney'. But maybe I use them interchangeably?? All these names are making me question myself now! :p
Is there actually bologna in this country?! If so WHAT IS IT??? I never thought there'd come a day when I missed eating a ghetto bologna sandwich but when you think you can't have something it makes you want it more. Any N. Americans know if it exists here and what I should ask for in Melbourne if so?!

I kind of consider 'devon' and 'luncheon' meats to be the same. When I looked up Bologna it looks a lot like those?
I could be wrong.

I know why my OH has gone from calling them Yiros to Kebab now. He was working in Qld for 18mnths. Whatever we call them they are so yummy.

Yes I call that stuff fritz, but it's also a nickname for some people.
Do you guys do ok with word shortening?

I work in health and I almost never use full words to describe anything in anatomy!

Sanger is a sandwich in Aus.

When you say eating blood are you talking about something like black pudding? Cause I hate that stuff but a lot of people love it.

I had to look up black pudding to know what you mean.. I learn something everyday in here!! :D
We call it bloedworst in the Netherlends..

But Sanger is a dish from Curacao, it's a little different, They just fry goat blood with some spices until it dries up a little not completely like the blood sausages.. So it's still a little mushy and they kind of spread it on bread.. Some people love it, but I can't stand it!!

And they just call it Pan ku Sanger... Literally Bread with Blood.. :S

Wow, I didn't know that. Turns out, the Foster's Lager, marketed and sold in the United States as an Australian beer, is brewed in the United States by Miller. It's brewed in Canada by Molson.

Molson, by the way, is my favorite beer.

Fosters is disgusting!!

I was having this discussion online recently with a few Americans recently re: the slang terms over here. "Bogan" is impossible to explain unless you've been here. It's not a redneck - I really just think of Western Sydney which obviously means nothing to anyone outside of Australia. It's a very specific cultural stereotype.

= Trailer Trash

Back