Skip to main content

Australian "Slang" Interpretation

Is there actually bologna in this country?! If so WHAT IS IT??? I never thought there'd come a day when I missed eating a ghetto bologna sandwich but when you think you can't have something it makes you want it more. Any N. Americans know if it exists here and what I should ask for in Melbourne if so?!

Bologna is devon/fritz/polony. Same same :)

I have a question for our American friends. Are pigs in a blanket a small hotdog wrapped in puff pastry? Coz in Australia we have something called a sausage roll which is basically sausage meat in puff pastry.

View attachment 34348

I just read on wiki that in America they seem to be wrapped in dough I think? Pigs in blankets here in the UK are small chipolata sausages, wrapped in bacon. They are often served with Christmas dinner, alongside the turkey. Our sausage rolls are the same as yours. I love this thread! So far today, I have learned that thongs go on feet, here they are skimpy underwear .....And NOT to say "I'm rooting for (supporting! ) Tim!" This is so much fun! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read on wiki that in America they seem to be wrapped in dough I think? Pigs in blankets here in the UK are small chipolata sausages, wrapped in bacon. They are often served with Christmas dinner, alongside the turkey. Our sausage rolls are the same as yours. I love this thread! So far today, I have learned that thongs go on feet, here they are skimpy underwear .....And NOT to say "I'm rooting for (supporting! ) Tim!" This is so much fun! :D

I noticed that you are from Liverpool. In Sydney we have a Liverpool as well and most people when talking about Liverpool shorten it to livo. Do you do the same in the UK?

I noticed that you are from Liverpool. In Sydney we have a Liverpool as well and most people when talking about Liverpool shorten it to livo. Do you do the same in the UK?

Ha Ha! Nope! Nobody ever calls it Livo I might start a trend! It's almost always called Liverpool. Locals living away may say to other locals living away about going back to The Pool, and that would be understood. Not sure if say, somebody from say, London would though. Come to think of it, we don't shorten any of our city names. Do you? Does Adelaide get shortened to Adi or Ado for instance? We should twin with your Livo! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
In Oz, when we say "Hubris" it's typically slang for "left wing extremists" ala "greenazis".

You know, the folk who not only think that the planet needs saving from humanity but also think that they are utterly necessary and utterly indispensable for the fanciful task that suspiciously requires never ending amounts of other people's money as well as near limitless control over other people's freedoms.

Coincidentally, it's also a collective noun.

IE, "a hubris of greenazis/christine milne supporters"

regarDS

In Oz, when we say "Hubris" it's typically slang for "left wing extremists" ala "greenazis".

You know, the folk who not only think that the planet needs saving from humanity but also think that they are utterly necessary and utterly indispensable for the fanciful task that suspiciously requires never ending amounts of other people's money as well as near limitless control over other people's freedoms.

Coincidentally, it's also a collective noun.

IE, "a hubris of greenazis/christine milne supporters"

regarDS

For all our foreign friends this here is Unkie Ders our local loon. We mostly try and ignore him, like he does climate change. Sadly though, like climate change, he exists.

<3 :p

Ha Ha! Nope! Nobody ever calls it Livo I might start a trend! It's almost always called Liverpool. Locals living away may say to other locals living away about going back to The Pool, and that would be understood. Not sure if say, somebody from say, London would though. Come to think of it, we don't shorten any of our city names. Do you? Does Adelaide get shortened to Adi or Ado for instance? We should twin with your Livo! :D

You should totally start the Livo trend lol. The only capital city that we shorten is Brisbane to Brissy.(fellow Aussies correct me if I am wrong) But in Sydney some suburbs do get shortened like Livo and Cabramatta is shortened Cabra.

You should totally start the Livo trend lol. The only capital city that we shorten is Brisbane to Brissy.(fellow Aussies correct me if I am wrong) But in Sydney some suburbs do get shortened like Livo and Cabramatta is shortened Cabra.

I sometimes expand Darwin to 'Shit Hole'. :p

I will try! Off topic, I hope the awful situation there with the bush fires is improving. I haven't heard the news yet today. Love from this Liverpool to you all xx

Now you've got me singing "You don't call Wagga Wagga, Wagga"

[video=youtube;EOpxdUjPiAs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOpxdUjPiAs[/video]

Edited to add: but we do call it Wagga though lol.

Last edited:
I will try! Off topic, I hope the awful situation there with the bush fires is improving. I haven't heard the news yet today. Love from this Liverpool to you all xx

Oh thank you for thinking of us. From what I saw on the news I think no properties were destroyed and no lose of life but the bush fires are still burning.

I am from Springwood, and just found out that that fire started in my street, in the patch of bush I used to play He-Man in, and nearly burnt down both my primary and high schools. Both of my brother's best men have lost their houses... feeling a long way from home. Still love a sunburnt country, hope yous are safe.

Another quick question from a US fan....what do you mean when you say " I've lost the plot "...are you confused? or mad and done with the situation? or something else entirely?

Also, in the US, pigs in the blanket are also a main dish prepared with ground beef and rice mixed together and wrapped inside softened cabbage leaves(by boiling a few minutes).. Then layered on top of each other in a big roaster and covered with tomato sauce... then cook in oven ...so so so good

Another quick question from a US fan....what do you mean when you say " I've lost the plot "...are you confused? or mad and done with the situation? or something else entirely?

Also, in the US, pigs in the blanket are also a main dish prepared with ground beef and rice mixed together and wrapped inside softened cabbage leaves(by boiling a few minutes).. Then layered on top of each other in a big roaster and covered with tomato sauce... then cook in oven ...so so so good

Hiya! In the UK, lost the plot means for instance, reacting badly to something, say like an innocuous comment that somebody took unreasonable offence to - They would be deemed to having lost the plot.

Another city, Freo = Fremantle, WA.

Suburbs it's common; Mordi = Mordialloc; Broady = Broadmeadows; Chelt = Cheltenham; Springers = Springvale; Trak/Track = Toorak

Oh, and "sook" is basically like "sulk," but it can also be a noun for the act (like "have a sook") or a person who does it. May involve crying/whinging in addition to just pouting.

Sometimes a person is refered to as a "sooky lala"

I was having this discussion online recently with a few Americans recently re: the slang terms over here. "Bogan" is impossible to explain unless you've been here. It's not a redneck - I really just think of Western Sydney which obviously means nothing to anyone outside of Australia. It's a very specific cultural stereotype.

I also got asked if "daggy" meant "cool" :D To answer the question, no, no it doesn't. It means the opposite.

Also (and this was a much bigger point of contention that I would have expected) if there's meat between two buns it's a "burger" in Australia. Doesn't matter if it's beef, chicken or fish. IT'S NEVER A SANDWICH IF IT'S BETWEEN TWO BUNS. Also, Subway-type "sandwiches" are called "rolls".

And we put "-o" at the end of EVERYTHING. Mayo = Mayonaisse. Devo = Devestated. Povo = Poverty Stricken/poor. Servo = Service Station/Gas Station. Bottl-o - Bottle shop. There are no limits to what we'll put "-o" at the end of. We literally call The Salvation Army "The Salvo's". That's their official name. I love being Australian but we're quite lazy with language. If we can bloody abbreviate it, then we will damn well will.

you forgot arvo=afternoon and pedo= pedophile

Back