Skip to main content

Australian "Slang" Interpretation

I bought a sausage yesterday at Bunnings and it was definitely a hot dog. I laughed to my friend because the sign said sausages $2.50 so I was thinking I'd scored a cheap krasnky but instead all I got was a hot dog in a bun. Sausage links are tiny... I've never even seen them in Australia. They're maybe the size of your ring finger and usually served at breakfast. Sausage back home = kransky.

For me I call these sausages
sausages.jpg

And these hotdogs
frankfurt.jpg

What are Krasnky?

I wonder if Australians are better at getting international slang than, perhaps Americans are, because of the constant exposure to cultures other than Australian. For example, Australian kids see Christmas cards with or tv specials with snow and learn young about the southern and northern hemispheres. I have adults in English classes here who lose their minds in classes if I talk about going swimming at Christmas. History at school tends to be European history, with an Australian unit chucked ('thrown') in. And TV is often American or British, and so the exposure to foreign slang in its natural context.

The talk of doonas here reminded me, I learnt 'duvet' from The Young Ones, and so I think most Australians tend to ease into slang pretty well. Oh, and also because in Australian you can substitute any word for any nonsense you feel like, and the onus is on the listener to understand what the speaker means...

eg 'I need a new dingus for the whatsit on me tele,' spoken with the appropriate hand-gesture should get you a new battery cover for the back of your remotey in any quality electronic supply shop.
[MENTION=28911]HarleyQQ[/MENTION] Yep, that's the one, thanks.

Last edited:
What is a D&M conversation?

Also, whenever I see the abbreviation NSW, it takes me back because at first glance it looks like not safe for work.

lol loving the pictures to back it up - just shows what a visual person I am. Thanks [MENTION=34449]Inigo Montoya[/MENTION] and [MENTION=35181]Mrs Butterface[/MENTION]

It's actually difficult to find a good kransky btw which is a shame because I love them :(

Standom Meats in SA have a great variety of Kransky's.
I slice them up and put on Antipasto Platters. yummy hungry now lol

And fairy bread is fresh white bread with butter or marg and 100s and 1000s on it. Hundreds and Thousands are technicolour grains of sugar used to decorate cakes. It is basically a crunchy sugar sandwich.

Oh, and since having left Australia I am starting to appreciate some things I never suspected - our bread, like Tip Top Sunblest, is the softest, freshest white sandwich bread I have found anywhere. In England and Europe (if you can find it) it tends to be like a day old Toast loaf, and it is never that super soft like a fresh Sunblest is. And in the States it is sweet, like, when it toasts it smells like raisin loaf. Other bread, like heavy bread, or whatever else of course can be great, but super soft white sandwich bread is best done back home, from what I've seen.

Oh, and nothing yet beats the texture of Allen's lollies.

I have a question for our American friends. Are pigs in a blanket a small hotdog wrapped in puff pastry? Coz in Australia we have something called a sausage roll which is basically sausage meat in puff pastry.

sausage roll.jpg

I just love how we shorten almost everything....
Also...
arvo: afternoon, salvo: salvation army, bottle-o: liqueur store, servo: service station/petrol station, devo: devastated.

I'm sure there's many more
And if we don't shorten it with 'o', we shorten it with 'ie' breakie/breakfast; Brissie/Brisbane, Chrissy/Christmas, and on and on and on.

No. Pigs in a blanket are more like little hotdogs with croissant or biscuit like dough wrapped around the center. You can see the ends in both sides, like a blanket is wrapped around the center.

No. Pigs in a blanket are more like little sausages with croissant or biscuit like dough wrapped around the center. You can see the ends in both sides, like a blanket is wrapped around the center.
What I wouldn't give for a few tins of Pillsbury dough right now! Or even just the cookie dough. I used to open one of those after the bar back in my uni days and make cookies for the house. I'd probably shed a tear just hearing the popping noise when you open the tin at this point haha

No. Pigs in a blanket are more like little hotdogs with croissant or biscuit like dough wrapped around the center. You can see the ends in both sides, like a blanket is wrapped around the center.

OK I get ya. So the dough is more sweet than savoury compared to the puff pastry that are used on sausage rolls.

Back