Skip to main content

Australian "Slang" Interpretation

Hominy grits are corn, with the hulls removed, then dried and ground. Its how Native Americans preserved their corn. You simmer them in water or milk.

With bogan, Boog is, Caleb is, Jasmin was not. Nicole Kidman is not. Steve Irwin was. Russell Crowe has a bit in him. Check out the movie idiot box. It is closer to the British Chav, but it really is an Australian caste, specifically. The name for it changes over time and in different places, but the spirit remains indomitable. Westies they were called when I was a boy, ie, from the western suburbs of Sydney. I think it was Bevan in Brissie. Brisbane. If it can be shortened and made to sound cuter, do so.

Maybe a list, from most to least bogan would help. Boog would be first. Translation doesn't work, it isn't a redneck, it isn't trailer trash, it isn't a chav, it is a bogan.

Last edited:
grits are southern food that is ground up corn kernels and sold dry..when you cook them, you boil water and then add the grain and cook. Its a breakfast food. The southern US love grits and usually serves them with salt and butter..Up north, they are not eaten near as much and are usually served with milk and sugar.

We always put really finely grated carrot in our rissoles too. They can also be made with leftover cooked roast. Sooooo yummy on a slice of bread with tomato sauce.

On the jumper thing. Jumper (or windcheater) is what you would call a sweater, what you yanks would call a jumper we call a tunic (or maybe sometimes a pinnifore). They are really common winter uniform for primary school kids. High schoolers more often wear a skirt in the same material.
Tunic

And while we are speaking of that. Schooling varies over Australia but in general.

Primary school is Prep (or reception depending on your location) to year 6. I think our prep (prepatory year) is what you call Kindergarten, then we have years 1 to 6.

High school is year 7 to 12, in year 11 and 12 you do your VCE/HSC/final exams to get your mark to go to Uni.

When the housemates so 'that is so year 6' they are saying how primary school/tweenie it is, since most kids are 11 or 12 in year 6.

Interesting thread! I'm learning some new things, like when the Housemates were talking about Tahan's thongs, they weren't speaking of her underwear....and the word root means something totally different in Australia, than it does in America. LOL

I've got a question. When someone says "cheers" to me, what exactly does that mean?

Interesting thread! I'm learning some new things, like when the Housemates were talking about Tahan's thongs, they weren't speaking of her underwear....and the word root means something totally different in Australia, than it does in America. LOL

I've got a question. When someone says "cheers" to me, what exactly does that mean?

Cheers for me means thank you. My favourite is cheers big ears.

Yeah, "cheers" is like a casual "thanks"

Cheers mate is a common saying.

Ta also means thanks. We Aussies have a lot of words for thank-you.

Also another thought on the Mikkayla cream thing, they could have been talking about salad cream also. Who the eff even knows. I thought she'd had regular cream on a dessert, I didn't realise it was on chips.

I remember a song from the 90s that was about yobs and wankers, and it had the line 'Make your choice and live your life/ C'mon pal, what are ya?'

Looking at the boys in the house, Matt and Caleb comfortably chose yob. Drew chose wanker, but can kind-of blend in with yobs if he needs to. Ed is a yob, but think he is some sort of gentleman, and thus his social awkwardness, perhaps. Xavier was a wanker, but wanted to be a yob. Rohan was a wanker, Tim is a wanker. Justynn was a wanker pretending to be a yob and Nathan... cannot be categorized by this ridiculous reductive dichotomy.

singlet = tank top

ice block = popsicle

doona = duvet

dunny = toilet

boot (of the car) = trunk

bonnet (of the car) = the hood

sausage = hot dog

journo = journalist

footpath = sidewalk

One of the first things I was taught, haha!

I was wondering what they meant by saying that Ed and Jade were "dry rooting."

In the other thread someone mentioned "ratbag" I was shocked when Sonia referred to Mr. Clooney as a ratbag during Mikkayla's eviction.

I'm going to keep posting other words here.

In the other thread ( we got off topic at the end of the day 84 thread) someone asked about
White trash
Trailer trash
Hillbillies ( I think is old and not used, but I live in New York so may not be accurate- mostly people from rural Appalachian areas like Kentucky, tennessee)
Red neck

Main point is dont ever use these terms.

White trash is mostly uneducated poors.

Trailer trash I think of mostly people from the country areas.

Red neck- any conservative truck driving loud kind of person. Doesn't correspond to wealth or education level as do the others.

These are off the top of my head and I will try to improve them by finding examples.

Wait: thongs aren't underwear?

I remember a song from the 90s that was about yobs and wankers, and it had the line 'Make your choice and live your life/ C'mon pal, what are ya?'

Looking at the boys in the house, Matt and Caleb comfortably chose yob. Drew chose wanker, but can kind-of blend in with yobs if he needs to. Ed is a yob, but think he is some sort of gentleman, and thus his social awkwardness, perhaps. Xavier was a wanker, but wanted to be a yob. Rohan was a wanker, Tim is a wanker. Justynn was a wanker pretending to be a yob and Nathan... cannot be categorized by this ridiculous reductive dichotomy.

[video=youtube;GiHdpAVIHgo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiHdpAVIHgo[/video]

I was wondering what they meant by saying that Ed and Jade were "dry rooting."

In the other thread someone mentioned "ratbag" I was shocked when Sonia referred to Mr. Clooney as a ratbag during Mikkayla's eviction.

I'm going to keep posting other words here.

In the other thread ( we got off topic at the end of the day 84 thread) someone asked about
White trash
Trailer trash
Hillbillies ( I think is old and not used, but I live in New York so may not be accurate- mostly people from rural Appalachian areas like Kentucky, tennessee)
Red neck

Main point is dont ever use these terms.

White trash is mostly uneducated poors.

Trailer trash I think of mostly people from the country areas.

Red neck- any conservative truck driving loud kind of person. Doesn't correspond to wealth or education level as do the others.

These are off the top of my head and I will try to improve them by finding examples.

Dry rooting is basically umm.. humping with your clothes on without actually slipping it in? lol. I don't know how to put it delicately..

Ratbag is actually used in an affectionate type way and refers more to cheeky/naughty etc

singlet = tank top

ice block = popsicle

doona = duvet

dunny = toilet

boot (of the car) = trunk

bonnet (of the car) = the hood

sausage = hot dog

journo = journalist

footpath = sidewalk

Paddle pop too, is like a popsicle I'd say.

As for sausage and hot dog, our sausages are nothing like American hot dogs, I think they use the term 'sausage link' for what we would call a sausage, our frankfurters are more American hot dogs.

Windscreen = windshield

braces = suspenders

pash = french kiss/ make out

Paddle pop too, is like a popsicle I'd say.

As for sausage and hot dog, our sausages are nothing like American hot dogs, I think they use the term 'sausage link' for what we would call a sausage, our frankfurters are more American hot dogs.

Windscreen = windshield

braces = suspenders

pash = french kiss/ make out
I bought a sausage yesterday at Bunnings and it was definitely a hot dog. I laughed to my friend because the sign said sausages $2.50 so I was thinking I'd scored a cheap krasnky but instead all I got was a hot dog in a bun. Sausage links are tiny... I've never even seen them in Australia. They're maybe the size of your ring finger and usually served at breakfast. Sausage back home = kransky.

I bought a sausage yesterday at Bunnings and it was definitely a hot dog. I laughed to my friend because the sign said sausages $2.50 so I was thinking I'd scored a cheap krasnky but instead all I got was a hot dog in a bun. Sausage links are tiny... I've never even seen them in Australia. They're maybe the size of your ring finger and usually served at breakfast. Sausage back home = kransky.

Ahh, So a sausage link is like a chipolata? When I was in America the only sausages I had that were like ours were called links. All the hotdog products were just what I'd call a frank. It's all so confusing! Haha. What confused me even more was the generic term 'sausage' meant what we'd put inside the sausage casing, but it was mostly served as a pattie or in icky white sauce. Although it did teach me why a sausage and egg Mcmuffin is called just that, before I never knew why it was when there was no sausage in it! Haha.

Back