Skip to main content

Australian Idol 2023

Stretching six performances (plus a group one) out but not shortening the duration of the show results in a lot of extremely boring padding.

Oh and my top 3 is.... anyone but Ben.

I don't like any of them enough to buy their music, but I don't like any new artists anyway.

You guys don't find Amali just a little bit too... effervescent?
I'm trying to look at it from the perspective of who could be popular...I think Amali and Josh could be and Phoebe has a lot of potential. Not so sure about Royston and Ben although they both have great voices. Personally, I don't really mind who wins.

I'm trying to look at it from the perspective of who could be popular...I think Amali and Josh could be and Phoebe has a lot of potential. Not so sure about Royston and Ben although they both have great voices. Personally, I don't really mind who wins.

Amali & Josh are 100% the most marketable and most likely to have careers after the show.
Phoebe is great, but she's more Adele than Taylor Swift.
Once it's all done, Ben will be back on the pub circuit and Royston back to singing in Church.

Was it always going to be just five live shows, or did they truncate the season as the ratings weren't justifying the costs? It seems madness to lop it down to three...

You guys don't find Amali just a little bit too... effervescent?

So perky! Very MOR, which is what the punters want, I guess.

My Top 6 thoughts.

Ben - he is so awkward but so loveable. I really do like him but I think he’s coke as far as he deserves. I don’t really want him getting a top 3 spot, however won’t be absolutely devastated if he does. 3/5. Man this whole arrangement thing is frustrating me. This competition is supposed to find new talent and they shouldn’t have to be able to make new arrangements of every song.

Phoebe - I chose the Freya Ridings but I’m not surprised public chose birdy. Bit of a flat performance, maybe I am just biased against it … but it certainly wasn’t her most ‘WOW’ performance. I still think she should win the whole thing. On this performance I only give her 3.5/5
Amali - I’m a proud Dimond Diva haha. I think P!nk would have been better. But this girl is a natural pop star. I love her. 4/5

Josh - he’s had a bit of a glow up from his school band days. I think Drake would have been a better fit for him. However Josh can basically sing anything and I’m gonna love it. First couple of weeks I would have ranked Phoebe as my number 1, but I think Josh has officially become my fave in this comp. 4.5/5

Anya - great song choice. I really enjoy listening to her sing. This whole arrangement thing so so stupid and HCJ’s attempt to explain it tonight just made it even more confusing. I am with Kyle Sandilands tonight. 3/5.

Royston - I didn’t vote True Colours but I think it’s probably a good choice for him. I didn’t really connect with it, but no denying he had a great voice. 3/5

At the audition stage I was a little worried about the lack of talent but I think these 6 have grown and are all wonderful talent in their own right.

Also there was obviously some filler content tonight. Why didn’t they increase the talent performance time? Let them sing a full 3min song!! And was Amy Shark looking at a bit orange?

Ricki-Lee however the Belle of the ball. A true beauty!

Back