Skip to main content

Australian Idol 2023

That's quite a train on Angelina's dress. She could use a few pageboys for that one.
Meanwhile, Noora has come dressed as an Olympic bronze medal, and Phoebe as the silver. They're in their elements tonight.

Stole an arrangement? She sang a song on a talent show, that best suited her voice and style.
Get fucked Harry. This bloke is a fuckwitt.
He did Anja dirty.
It was a ridiculously unfair comment, and it's not like she's never reworked songs already in the competition.
Australians aren't stupid, and we understand what constructive criticism is without having the concept repeatedly explained to us. That was not constructive.

It was a ridiculously unfair comment, and it's not like she's never reworked songs already in the competition.
Australians aren't stupid, and we understand what constructive criticism is without having the concept repeatedly explained to us. That was not constructive.
Completely agree. He really pissed me off tonight!

Stole an arrangement? She sang a song on a talent show, that best suited her voice and style.
He did Anja dirty.
Totally.
It's utterly ridiculous to expect a young singer on a talent show to rearrange a song at all, and tell the band to play it differently.
And if she did, Harry would be telling her off for messing with a classic.

He did Anja dirty.
I was quite shocked by his choice of words. “Stole” is such a harsh thing to say and untrue in this context. Anja simply did not stray too much from the original. Like it or lump it Harry but Anja “stole” nothing.

There's not a lot that could rock me to the core anymore... but if they say tonight's Australian Idol bottom four will do it, then maybe I'll be proven wrong 😅 (But I doubt it!)

One thing I do think might have happened is people voting like crazy for Anya after those comments by HCJ.

Think of the numbers at this stage... eight people left, one saved already takes that down to seven. Only three people were going to be declared safe after the vote. There will be more people in the bottom four than immediately safe by way of the public vote.

On that note, surely they're going to have to start voting them out one at a time from the following week on. (I don't know, I haven't looked ahead at how it's scheduled).

How can there be a shock bottom four, out of seven who are all brilliant (we're told).

ANY combination is going to be a shock to someone.

Has anyone read anything about some name-calling that got shouted out from at least one audience member, at Harry Connick Jr during last night's show? I just got told about it a moment ago.

My thoughts on last nights performances / show.

Amali - I really like her, but this wasn’t a very strong performance. Started off quite weak, better as she reached the soaring notes and finished quite well 3/5. The judges aren’t wrong though, even at her young age she almost feels ready to go off and be a pop star.

Angelina - great song choice for her age. I’m liking how idol is about finding new talent and watching the grow and develop. So it was smart to say Delta is your idol when Australia did watch her grow and develop. Her voice doesn’t quite live up to Delta but a solid performance nevertheless. 3.5/5

Royston - another great song choice. Huge big notes. A winning performance. 4.5/5 I didn’t notice the tune issues that HCJ spoke about.

Noora - her online fans are her heroes??? Hmm… the performance was a bit nasally. However I enjoyed it more than her ballads. I still think she’s way out of her depth here, her timing was a bit off. Sorry not sorry. I guess if she’s got a good online community that’s good for her. 1.5/5 (I wonder how much her 350k TikTok fans she can get to vote??)

Phoebe - did I say a couple of weeks ago I wanted to hear her sing a Lauren Daigle song? Absolutely smashed it! Phoebe is an incredible talent at her age, it’s so insane that she’s only 15. I really can’t wait to follow her career as she develops. She is unmatched in this competition. If the judges don’t save her tonight 😤 in fact if she doesn’t win the whole thing 😡 4.5/5

Ben - I can’t help but like Ben. Wasn’t a really great performance but maybe that just cause I don’t like screamy performances. He’d be great pub entertainment. The crowd get into his performances. He’s fun. 2.5/5
Anya - showcasing her tone with an acapella start was very clever. She has a strong voice with an interesting vocal timbre. A strong performance. Good song choice with the kind of song dynamics that talent show audiences eat up! 4/5

WHAT THE HECK was HCJ on about stealing the arrangement? What a joke. Not a critique. Does he know what he is doing? He’s on a talent show. Changing up an arrangement is not expected. Most performances are copies of other arrangements. Seriously what a stupid comment.​

For a man who “doesn’t care about boos” he certainly goes on a lot about them. I’m glad Meghan and Amy went against him. Kinda wish Kyle was here for that.​

Josh - Josh seems like the kind of guy I’d love to be mates with! The industry needs more nice guys, hope it doesn’t harden him haha. This performance gave me goosebumps. Of course the song just does that, but his voice matched with the piano and the staging 🤩 I take back that the judges have to save Phoebe tonight and super happy for him to be saved. I’d also be super happy for Josh to win Idol. I think he’s super marketable! It was a touchdown performance and best of the night 4.6/5

Judges save: yep as above I’m totally cool with the save being Josh tonight. ⭐️ well deserved 👏🏽

It's possible that the demographic who were voting for Amali, Phoebe, and Angelina have had their phones restricted by their parents after last week's phone bill.

Back