Skip to main content

Australian Idol 2023

Good lord. Saving Noora is such a fake decision, because they don't want a repeat of last week.
She had improved this week, but was still towards the middle at best.

WTF with Harry (the contestant). Kyle actually nailed it - lacking in SKILL, but I would go further and say he just can't sing, beyond amateur level.

Ben was very ordinary too, they were my picks to go.

I've never liked Sash, and I think he murdered the Phil Collins song, BUT I don't think he was out of tune. I think he just has a vocal style that you either love or hate, and it was too laid back for that song.

Angelina is usually good but wasn't this week.

Phoebe the standout, with Royston also putting in a good effort.

Meghan is probably a nice person, but is beyond annoying. As an introvert she drives me nuts. I couldn't be around her.

NAILED IT.

I love Sash, but he was pitchy as hell. Harry is so pretty but has a weak voice. Angelina was not at her best, despite the entire rainforest on set. I am cross they saved Noora. Hope Anya doesn't go home on the back of that save, as she and Phoebe are the two best singers in the comp. I was really hoping they'd save Ben, to give him more of a chance. I do wish he'd listen to Harry CJ and stand in the one spot and just sing.

Phoebe, 15! She was amazing. I hope she gets a record deal out of this.

Josh - he just seems like such a nice guy. His voice is very good. The performance did feel a little flat, he hasn’t got that much stage presence but that only comes with time and practise. I really still think he is a marketable winner. He very much deserves to go through. 3.5/5 for this weeks performance.

Amali - Sia is just one of those artists who is so hard to cover. You can’t replicate so you need to make it your own. Unfortunately, as much as I love Amali, this was just an ok cover. However, I don’t think she was as pitchy as last week. Amali looks like a star on stage tho. 3.5/5

Anya - great song choice tonight. Much better performance. I agree with the judges, she’s back. Last year was underwhelming. This one showcased her talent well. 4/5

Royston - he’s got a big voice. I felt sad for his story of singing this for his mum, but I felt like the performance was a bit flat tonight. Can’t exactly put my finger on why. 3.5/5 p.s Ricki consoling him was cute. She’s the best 😍

Angelina - I just saw Harry (as did half of Australia) so great song choice and she made it her own enough. Very funky. She’s incredible for her age. My fave performance so far. Her staging was so cool and she really thought through the moves. 4/5

Sash - Sash is one of my faves. I really like the grit and tone of his voice. I liked the first half of the song, when the full band kicked in his vocal got a bit lost. Not his best, but I want him in top 8 safely. 4/5 (after listening to the judges, I don’t think he was out of tune… but I reckon the judges do hear a cleaner vocal in their earpiece or something.

Noora - did Scott preempt that the judges were going to save her? Ugh! Choosing Christina! Her voice is NO WHERE near good enough to sing this song. Ok at the start she actually has a nice tone. I can’t help but still think it’s more Friday night karaoke at the pub over idol tho. She isn’t as pitchy as she was last week. Look it was an ok performance tonight. 3.5/5 the judges absolutely gush over her.

Ben - picking the Maneskin cover of Beggin! Yes!!! He’s a lot of fun. I almost wouldn’t mind seeing him win this whole thing. 4/5 (I agree with HCJ that he looks a bit awkward when he walks, however his whole thing is awkward which is kind of endearing).

Harry - not a terrible performance. Not a terrible vocal either. Just ok. 3/5 (Kyle saying skill isn’t there is true, he needs to hear more than).

Phoebe - I would have loved to see her sing Fight Song or You Say, is she so young that she doesn’t even know those hits from a couple of years ago? However - WOW! Slowing Dancing Queen down really showcased her immense talent. This girl has GOT to win it! She looked incredible. Her voice is stunning. The judges don’t stand much after performances but this deserved it surely. 5/5. Phoebe is a bloody star. 🤩🤩🤩 Kyle saying when she performs all the attention gets sucked to her, that’s how I felt when I saw Adele perform live. I said last week she could be Australia’s Adele. I agree. Let’s fast forward and crown her already 👸🏽

Saved: Noora. Absolute incorrect decision. Last week I was OK with the save thing, saving the best performance each week will ensure we don’t get a Ricki-Lee Idol event elimination. It would totally be right for Noora to be eliminated tonight. If Phoebe goes… it will make the save a complete mockery. I’m sending a few extra votes for Phoebe. In fact she’s the only one getting my votes this week. I guess it would be a bit weird if they just saved Phoebe every week. However Phoebe has saved them from having a low talent idol. I love this show and I love the production of this season and I truly hope it’s back next year, but can’t deny that they haven’t had a huge talent pool. Phoebe is a stand out. Rant over.

Can’t wait to see Adam Lambert tonight.
Hope he announces a tour.

I'm really starting to question the whole judge's save thing when Anya is standing there in the bottom 4 while Noora is safe.

And now... onto the pointless bottom four singing match that makes no difference to anything.

A bit of a nervous sing from Sash I think. None of them have been at their best in these bottom 4 performances.
I wouldn't mind Sash sticking around another week, because I think he has potential we haven't really seen in the live performances. He hasn't found his feet in that environment yet, but he probably could.

The save (if they insist on it) should be used after the bottom 4 have sung on Monday.

The judges save the best, and then the two with the lowest public vote after that goes home.

Saving someone based on last nights performance isn’t ideal, and renders the whole re-sing pointless.

The save (if they insist on it) should be used after the bottom 4 have sung on Monday.

The judges save the best, and then the two with the lowest public vote after that goes home.

Saving someone based on last nights performance isn’t ideal, and renders the whole re-sing pointless.
Like X-Factor used to do?

Like X-Factor used to do?

Yep, let the judges collectively decide on who to save from the bottom 4, then whichever 2 have the lowest public vote goes home.

Saving them on Sunday does a disservice because they don’t face the public vote and we don’t get an indication of what Australia thinks.

Also, Kyle said today that the judges didn’t pick the songs last night. The producers picked the 4 songs, then the Judges picked one of those 4 songs as ‘their pick’. He was last to pick of the judges because he didn’t care, so he got stuck with what was left over.

That’s why he was so pissed they acted like he lost when he didn’t even pick the songs haha.

Loved Ricki Lee's dig at Kyle saying the viewers always get it right.

I actually agree with Kyle, it was pretty much the right bottom 4 (given Noora was unavailable).

Anya being safe was good. I didn't care which of the other 3 went. At least Harry takes it all in good grace.

Adam Lambert wiped the floor with the lot of them, of course.

Oh and how good is 'Holding Out For A Hero? Bonnie Tyler and Adam Lambert versions.
This is the kind of song they should be doing, never mind whether they were born when it was released or not.

Last edited:
Oh and how good is 'Holding Out For A Hero? Bonnie Tyler and Adam Lambert versions.
This is the kind of song they should be doing, never mind whether they were born when it was released or not.
Ok...I'm obsessed with Adam Lambert's voice. I've re-watched his performance from the results show at least twenty times and loved it every time. After about the fifth viewing I thought he changed the lyrics a bit...from "holding out for a hero" to "holding out for a shearer"...I think I'm right? If you can be bothered check out 7Plus ep from about 48:30.

Ok...I'm obsessed with Adam Lambert's voice. I've re-watched his performance from the results show at least twenty times and loved it every time. After about the fifth viewing I thought he changed the lyrics a bit...from "holding out for a hero" to "holding out for a shearer"...I think I'm right? If you can be bothered check out 7Plus ep from about 48:30.
A shearer or a shiro!

I acknowledge this is a controversial opinion, but it is my opinion: I enjoy him singing Queen songs better than Freddie 🫣

Adam has an incredible voice. I’ve seen him live many times, both with Queen and Solo. The Queen set at the Fire Fight concert in 2020 was spine tingling! (And I also saw him with Queen the night before).

I watched his season on Idol and he was my absolute fave from the audition. As was Guy Sebastian and Ricki-Lee on their seasons.

I’ve been obsessed with Adam (see above) since literally his first audition ! I was so hoping he was going to announce a High Drama tour.

Back