Skip to main content

Australian Idol 2023

I will say that out of the final 3 he wasn’t my pick, however I think he’s had an amazing journey throughout this competition and I’ve loved heaps of performances. So happy for him!

Ok, wow. Was not expecting that.
Probably the least marketable of all 3 in my opinion, but Australia has voted. Congrats to Royston.

What happened at the start of Royston’s winners single performance? Did he start at the wrong time or something? Haha. Live TV. I love it!

I’m legit in shock haha. I thought it was going to be a Josh / Phoebe final 2 for sure, so once Josh was out, Phoebe was a shoe in.

My comments do speak for themselves this season where I’ve said I don’t get the Royston hype, and his performances have been mixed throughout the year, and unfortunately I still feel the same.

Josh and Phoebe could get a recording contract and tour tomorrow. Royston, not so much.

I dunno, I just have to be honest. Congrats to Royston, but I think Australia got this one wrong.

I was about 66.666 (recurring) percent sure that Phoebe was going to win. Royston was always one of my top favourites though.
I really hope Phoebe does well out of this too, just like the super successful runners-up we've known before.

I thought Royston would win and I'm happy that he did.
Poor Phoebe, taking that fall. She's resilient though.

Great to see Jessica sing even if the song is not much cop.
Ricki Lee's seemed great from the clip.

Oh and Kyle was in full idiot mode again.
"I only care about who wins. I'll play their song on the radio and the other one will never be heard of again".
This just after Harry has told them they'll all have careers.

If it does come back they might even cut back to one show a week to cut costs, presumably with the elimination at the beginning of the next episode.
The American style single show format is far superior… They had one non-elimination episode to kick off voting and then eliminations at the end of each subsequent episode. The eliminated contestant then preformed for the judges who had a single opportunity to save someone.

This series failure proves the point I’ve been making all along that Idol was a product of its time and doesn’t translate for a modern audience.
I don't know a single person in my life who watched it - or even knows that it was on, for that matter - and I work in the industry! I only saw it featured very briefly on Gogglebox and never saw a single promo or ad about it, except for a pre-season billboard in the city once. Not that I think many people care(d) much for a revival anyway, so definitely no big loss.

I agree, we as a society have long moved past reality TV in general (and I include Big Brother in that) - which is partially a result of how mass-produced and overly-produced these shows have become nowadays, as well as TV just becoming far too disposable to consumers. Reality TV of the 2000s is a bygone era that will never make a comeback - unfortunately the shows of that time have since failed to adapt to modern audiences successfully... therefore, in my opinion, it's time to move on.

I agree, we as a society have long moved past reality TV in general (and I include Big Brother in that) - which is partially a result of how mass-produced and overly-produced these shows have become nowadays, as well as TV just becoming far too disposable to consumers. Reality TV of the 2000s is a bygone era that will never make a comeback - unfortunately the shows of that time have since failed to adapt to modern audiences successfully... therefore, in my opinion, it's time to move on.
I get what you’re saying but Idol in particular is a format that just doesn’t work for a modern audience. The most memorable aspect of the original format was the joke auditions and the harsh critiques both of which wouldn’t fly with modern audiences. A show like BB I think still has a chance if someone is willing to give it a chance but Idol feels very archaic especially when they are no longer the only singing based show on the market.

Back