Skip to main content

Australian Celebrity Big Brother?

Cookies and icecream

Hey guys.

I have been watching CBB UK for a few years now and I was just wondering why we can't have our own one here in Oz.

Is it the cost?

Getting celebrities?

No viewers?

The closest thing to it is I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here.

It doesn't have to go for six weeks. It can be done in winter or summer.
I just think if the UK can pull it off aren't we able to as well?

We did have one before.

In 2002 I think it was? Dylan Lewis won and Kyle Sandilands come second or third?

What I'll never forget though is Warwick Capper got kicked out of the house for dropping his pants after Kimberley Cooper complained. Poor warwick.

[QUOTEPoona, post: 2158826, member: 770"]We did have one before.

In 2002 I think it was? Dylan Lewis won and Kyle Sandilands come second or third?

What I'll never forget though is Warwick Capper got kicked out of the house for dropping his pants after Kimberley Cooper complained. Poor warwick.[/QUOTE]
Yes I remember that!
That was the only one ever made

Why?????

Our celebrity 'pool' isn't as deep as the UK so it certainly wouldn't work twice a year, but I wouldn't mind seeing it again now. That being said, we have IACGMOOH being done by Peter Abbott so it literally is the next best thing in my books. Better than Celebrity Splash for instance. Haha

Fortunately, this has already been discussed at length in a few threads over the years. Most recently here: http://www.behindbigbrother.com/forums/threads/what-if-celebrity-big-brother-australia-2015.51535/ and http://www.behindbigbrother.com/forums/threads/who-would-be-in-2015-celebrity-big-brother.53812/

Some varied quotes:
I'm actually surprised they haven't done it yet.

They tried the apprentice and it didn't do as well as they hoped in the ratings, and then went ahead with the celebrity apprentice and it delivered much better results.

You'd think with all the offshoots of their other programmes, that they'd give a short celebrity edition of the show a go. It's been 12 years since CBB1, and they wouldn't be hard pressed to find interesting "celebrities" to cast.

A second series of CBB is worth a shot, though I fear if it's wildly successful, Channel 9 would pursue CBB at the expense of the regular show, so for this reason I'd be both apprehensive and intrigued by the prospect.

It'd work well, especially with BBAU being so tightly controlled these days. Celebrities are more likely to want to do it if they know they're not going to be shown doing anything too embarrassing. BBUK's even let celebs out to work in the past.

Like, I'm not saying BBAU's super-controlled new style is a good thing, but they might as well use it for something good.

But yeah, there has already been one season of CBB back in 2002, and it actually worked quite well. But that was also a different time.

Although in saying that, with 'I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here' currently doing reasonably well for Channel 10, add the fact that Channel 9 are still yet to renew Big Brother for another season and are slightly suffering with The Block's ratings, I totally wouldn't put it past Channel 9 to actually attempt a Celebrity Big Brother in the fourth quarter of 2015 as a substitute for a regular BB season purely in vain of 'I'm A Celebrity'.

I can seriously imagine that would be something they'd try. And fail at.

Although in saying that, with 'I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here' currently doing reasonably well for Channel 10, add the fact that Channel 9 are still yet to renew Big Brother for another season and are slightly suffering with The Block's ratings, I totally wouldn't put it past Channel 9 to actually attempt a Celebrity Big Brother in the fourth quarter of 2015 as a substitute for a regular BB season purely in vain of 'I'm A Celebrity'.

I can seriously imagine that would be something they'd try. And fail at.
You mean to tell me that a house filled with ex-HM's from the Nine-era, contestants from The Block and The Voice and some random Nine journo's wouldn't work? THAT'S UNPOSSIBLE!!!!1111

Also, best moment of CBBAU:

If it was too expensive to run then put it on GO! It doesn't have to be a big production.
Ohhh here's a thought.
If you were on the casting team who would you want to get on the show?

I feel like BBUK almost has a monopoly of sorts over Celebrity Big Brother, at least in terms of English-speaking versions—mostly because they don't limit themselves to British "celebrities." Also, they've been doing it for so long now that, if I were a celebrity, I would definitely choose going into the Celeb BBUK house over an Australian one, but then again I'd choose going into the UK house over the Australian house any day so who knows.

I just think if "we" can barely pull of a civilian series there's no hope in "us" pulling off an interesting celebrity version.

I feel like BBUK almost has a monopoly of sorts over Celebrity Big Brother, at least in terms of English-speaking versions—mostly because they don't limit themselves to British "celebrities."
And even then they occasionally stretch the term of the word 'celebrity'. Because let's be honest, did anyone know who the hell Jeremy Jackson was before they told us on the CBB15 launch?

But imagine a house with Arj Barker, Shaun Micallef, Jimmy Barnes, The twins from the Block... there is comedic relief, competiveness, and fun. Think of the yarn spinning they could all do.

And for the international flavour, Robert Downey Jr or Hugh Jackman or Jackie McDonald (Hey Hey it's Saturday) or even Megan Gale or Sophie Monk.
Wishful thinking on my part.

And even then they occasionally stretch the term of the word 'celebrity'. Because let's be honest, did anyone know who the hell Jeremy Jackson was before they told us on the CBB15 launch?
I did!

I watched his season of celebrity rehab with Dr Drew and I did watch Baywatch as a kid...

I knew who Jeremy Jackson was...

Back