Skip to main content

2020 Ratings Thread

Honestly there’ll be so many watching it on 7Plus instead of live broadcast. May even be live streaming it at the same time on their computers / devices rather than on their TV’s.

When/where do online viewing figures get released? Just at 7’s discretion?

These are the streaming figures for the last month:

As you can see BB is very popular online with BB episodes being the top 8 most streamed programs in Australia.

So for example when you combine the latest consolidated ratings, which were for the July 6 episode, and the VPM ratings for that same episode, it was watched by 879k.

Which means an extra 214k people watched the episode.

Last edited:
It's interesting from those numbers how many starts there are vs the VPM rating (a virtual measure of full views of each episode).

In your example, July 6th, there were 227K starts but only a VPM rating of 135K - roughly 41% of starts were incomplete, or a similar chunk of minutes were not viewed. If that is a measure of "switch off" it's a little disconcerting.

It's interesting from those numbers how many starts there are vs the VPM rating (a virtual measure of full views of each episode).

In your example, July 6th, there were 227K starts but only a VPM rating of 135K - roughly 41% of starts were incomplete, or a similar chunk of minutes were not viewed. If that is a measure of "switch off" it's a little disconcerting.

What does that say about the other shows though? The Voice for example has around a 50% switch off on average and other shows have a similar switch off to BB.

What does that say about the other shows though? The Voice for example has around a 50% switch off on average and other shows have a similar switch off to BB.
Possibly OzTam need to look at reporting a "mean viewing time" for each "commenced viewing".

Honestly shocked by BIP, was expecting at least 600k. Makes me think maybe they should of stretched out BB abit more so it could've had less competition

The show is definitely not going anywhere for quite some time, which is positive news. I would just love them to capitalise on these facts and use it to their advantage. Go all out with the format. They have the audience - use them.

I know a live show is unlikely next season but there’s no reason they can’t execute this format whilst the HMs are still in the house, like they do overseas. It allows more flexibility throughout the season and also the potential for some really great content to be produced alongside the show. (Although with covid possibly preventing the current film schedule for October, maybe they’ll rethink next year...)

Honestly shocked by BIP, was expecting at least 600k. Makes me think maybe they should of stretched out BB abit more so it could've had less competition

Not surprising, given the last season only averaged 508k in live viewing.

No Queen Ali so of course it didn't rate well.
unimpressed excuse me GIF by T. Kyle

So... the show has officially tanked in New Zealand. It's been pushed back into a less than ideal slot and has been dropped to two episodes a week because of crap ratings.

So... the show has officially tanked in New Zealand. It's been pushed back into a less than ideal slot and has been dropped to two episodes a week because of crap ratings.

I dont see how movies and Bondi Rescue repeats will fare much better.

I dont see how movies and Bondi Rescue repeats will fare much better.
MediaWorks is massively in debt and are looking to sell the TV business, so they need to keep up appearances that it's a worthwhile investment. Of all the first-run programming airing in primetime each night Big Brother aired, it was consistently the lowest rated.

Therefore because of the terrible ratings, they were having to reduce the amount they were charging advertisers for commercial time during the show - the updated rate card shows that the cost for 30 seconds ad-time has gone back to where it was before they applied the "Big Brother discount". They're now making approximately an extra $160,000 per night versus leaving Big Brother where it was.

It was time to go...

Heh.

Last edited:
Tonight will be the real test, it's only competition is BIP when we can presume won't beat BB. If BB hovers around the same numbers tonight I think it can be safe to assume Masterchef didn't have any impact on the numbers at all. It would be nice however to see it score 800,000 just to see a nice figure.

It's amazing how it's maintained basically the same ratings for most of the season. Very consistent.

I think it's safe to say Big Brother has been a big success for Channel 7 this year. It helped them stay competitive up against 2 massive shows, and great results were delivered in the key demos.

Last edited:
It's amazing how it's maintained basically the same ratings for most of the season. Very consistent.

I think it's safe to say Big Brother has been a big success for Channel 7 this year. It helped them stay competitive up against 2 massive shows, and great results were delivered in the key demos.

I am just hoping they keep improving the show. After this season, the only way is up. The worst thing that can happen is they become complacent and keep producing the same repetitive show year after year.

Back