Skip to main content

2020 Ratings Thread

I think the best thing for them to do is not have an eviction cycle every episode. Personally however I think the biggest ratings winner would be for it to be live however I am sadly aware that will not ever be the case again.
They really can do it live, but might need to think about the location of the house. They don't have to make many changes to make a live show feasible, other than probably the location. It's just the production style and their inherent comfort zones that I think may prevent that from happening.

Going live would require much larger budget and way more on site infrastructure. It's just not going to happen (plus we already know this given Oct-Dec filming). This series has definitely been a learning curve for them and I'd expect tweaks on the back of that, but they'll be more casting/creative/post-prod focused.

And a celeb series. That's definitely coming.

Going live would require much larger budget and way more on site infrastructure.
Not at all. In terms of what happens in the house it doesn't change much, so no extra cost there. Yes, production has to turn around quicker but the need for speed over the luxuries of spending hours in the edit suite making a storyline the producers want, rather than just telling us what is happening, will cancel out the extra cost. Nowadays editing could likely be done remotely rather than on site too.

They'd be an extra cost, but nowhere near as significant as you're making out. It would pay for itself if done right.

They'd be an extra cost, but nowhere near as significant as you're making out. It would pay for itself if done right.

Respectfully, you're very wrong. Staffing and site logistics would increase four-fold to support a live production, and then you need infrastructure to support that. Yes, post could happen offsite but there are so many challenges with that disconnect in a live environment (I have a headache just thinking about it). There's a very good reason why the live versions of this show are recorded in a studio-adjacent setting.

Seven and Endemol will have modelled the costs for a live format and I can guarantee Seven laughed that off the table as soon as they saw the numbers. Live TV is expensive as fuck and this current TV landscape is too unstable to take that big of a risk.

Respectfully, you're very wrong. Staffing and site logistics would increase four-fold to support a live production, and then you need infrastructure to support that. Yes, post could happen offsite but there are so many challenges with that disconnect in a live environment (I have a headache just thinking about it). There's a very good reason why the live versions of this show are recorded in a studio-adjacent setting.

Seven and Endemol will have modelled the costs for a live format and I can guarantee Seven laughed that off the table as soon as they saw the numbers. Live TV is expensive as fuck and this current TV landscape is too unstable to take that big of a risk.

Respectfully I would have to disagree with you there, the US version is the longest lasting worldwide and they film live. The US TV landscape is also very volatile currently with ratings sinking with each passing year so I don't buy that as an excuse.

Also if Nine could film Love Island live, don't see why 7 can't do the same with BB. Personally I think this is all about 7 wanting to have control over the narrative as well as being the most risk averse network in Australia.

Respectfully I would have to disagree with you there, the US version is the longest lasting worldwide and they film live. The US TV landscape is also very volatile currently with ratings sinking with each passing year so I don't buy that as an excuse.

Also if Nine could film Love Island live, don't see why 7 can't do the same with BB. Personally I think this is all about 7 wanting to have control over the narrative as well as being the most risk averse network in Australia.
As an American myself, Big Brother is CBS's number 1 show in the summer. It comes at the very top of the ratings every season. Even though the numbers are dropping, its due to the streaming and how many fans watch the show live on CBS All-Access and pay for the live feeds.

As an American myself, Big Brother is CBS's number 1 show in the summer. It comes at the very top of the ratings every season. Even though the numbers are dropping, its due to the streaming and how many fans watch the show live on CBS All-Access and pay for the live feeds.

When I said numbers were dropping I wasn't referring to BB itself but to all shows overall on US TV.

Love Island requires nowhere near the same level of infrastructure as BB (the scope of that format is minuscule). I'm A Celeb was a huge gamble by Ten. Both examples, but especially IAC, would be receiving considerable contributions from the countries they film in and probably benefit from favourable exchange rates as well.

BBUS is not comparable to AU. US network TV is just a different ball park, for so many reasons. But also, to my earlier point, it is filmed on a studio lot with existing infrastructure.

Back